Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: New to Geocaching

3Gymps Guest

Hi everyone

Just registered with the GAGB and thought we should introduce ourselves. The 3Gymps are Dave, Mary and Doogle (our Border Terrier) and we live in the far north of Scotland. The name derives from the fact that we all have something wrong with our legs, even the dog. We found out about Geocaching from an article in the local paper, The Press & Journal and this got us interested. We all enjoy the outdoors and think that this will enable us to enjoy it even more.
    We look forward to making constructive contributions in the future.

The 3Gymps

Welcome to geocaching, Dave Mary and Doogle! You'll find you're not the only cachers with walking difficulties. My friends The Wobbly Club both use walking aids, and they recently reached their two hundredth cache find! We're at the other end of the UK from you, being down in south Wiltshire.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

The Hokesters Guest

Hi guys and welcome,

You might like to take a peek at www.handicaching.org. The UK caches listed are a bit sparse but I try to list every cache I visit. It might help you choose the easier caches.

Good luck!

geoki Guest

Welcome, glad to see that the article had the desired affect. If you are near Aberdeen/shire and would like any help we would be glad to help. Carol B)

3Gymps Guest

Thanks everyone for the comments, and yes Carol the article was very useful so much so we are just about to buy our first travel bugs as we are off to Australia soon but not with Doogle (the dog) and hope to leave a 'cache' there somewhere.

3Gymps

3Gymps wrote:
    ...we are off to Australia soon but not with Doogle (the dog) and hope to leave a 'cache' there somewhere.
    I'm sorry to pour cold water on the idea, but "holiday" caches aren't normally approved by geocaching.com. If you want to place a cache outside your "normal caching area" you'll need to be able to show that either you're able to visit the cache to maintain it when necessary, or you have someone on the spot who can maintain it for you. Of course, if you have relatives or friends in Australia who would do that for you, then that should be fine.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

pog5 Guest

I am so new to geocaching I have done nothing at all yet! I see that bugs can be 'bought' where from? :huh:

pog5 Guest

I am literally amazed to find that this geocaching is happening only three streets away! An international craze which is almost like a secret society for the outdoor type... By invitation only. Word of mouth is a powerful tool it seems. A friend said, once you know about it you won't be able to stop yourself...It is addictive...but healthy.

Only days away from two weeks holiday. What would be the best equipment for an absolute beginner?

pog5 Guest

sorry...geocaching!!! Can the bugs be anything. I have just seen a fluffy bunny as a travelling bug! What are geocoins are they specially made as appears the case in America?