Thanks Thanks:  11

Thread: GPS Maze visits Germany in May 2015

Default GPS Maze visits Germany in May 2015

The GPS Maze (with a unique cache icon) will be visiting Mainz, Germany (near Frankfurt) on 13th-17th May 2015. http://coord.info/GC57V0R

This has been planned along with a Mega-event on Saturday 16th May http://coord.info/GC50FTF This Mega-event is already up to 2,400 caching teams who will attend, so it has a good chance of making Giga-event status (minimum 5,000 people not teams).

If you're a London area cacher, you may be interested to know that Ryanair fly Stansted to Hahn (Frankfurt) near Mainz, fares are currently ~£48 return.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Yep and I can't get anywhere near it

Quote Originally Posted by richlay View Post
    Yep and I can't get anywhere near it
    I was going to press thanks but I doubt you want that LOL :cheers:

It sounds interesting

I don't know how it works with events being awarded Mega status, so, Does anyone know if the side events on Friday and Sunday, to the Giga in Munich last year, that had enough people attend to qualify for a Mega, would be awarded Mega status retrospective? And how it is decided please?
    Just asking out of interest
    Cheers
    "Defeat may test you; It need not stop you. If at first you don't succeed, try another way. For every obstacle, there is a solution. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. The greatest mistake is giving up."
    Author Unknown :socool:

Quote Originally Posted by Cache on Wheels View Post
    It sounds interesting
    Does anyone know if the side events on Friday and Sunday, to the Giga in Munich last year, that had enough people attend to qualify for a Mega, would be awarded Mega status retrospective?
    IIRC Groundspeak used to do that, but stopped a few years ago, now an event will only be made a Mega if it can show a track record of having had >500 attendees previously, or if the EO can show that it will have >500 attendees before the event somehow. I'm pretty sure they will not make an event a Mega retrospectively nowadays.

Groundspeak will not retrospectively award Mega Status, and have stated that it is very unlikely in the future, will Mega Status be awarded until a Event has already crossed the 500 person threshold in the first year, so will be awarded Mega status for following years.

Events connected to a Mega/Giga will not be awarded Mega or Giga status, as they fail to stand on their own merits for such status, as people have been attracted to attend by the Mega/Giga that they support.

Because of it's unique Icon, the GPS Mae, can not receive Mega/Giga status. But both a Mega/Giga are allowed to take place in the same time period, and close proximity to a GPS Maze. where other events may not take place at the same time and in the same general area as a Mega/Giga event.

Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

I'll be going to Mainz Gutenberg for the GPS Maze and Mega.

The Mainz event went to Giga status today.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend