Please excuse this rather long first post, but I’m hoping for some help for a newbie who’s very interested in geocaching, but doesn’t really know where to start.

My wife and I are in our mid-40s – we’ve been campers for over 20 years, and have recently started going on some serious but relatively gentle walks – of the sort found in “Country Walking” magazine rather than “Trail” or “TGO”. There have recently been a few articles in these walking magazines about GPS, and I’ve toyed with the idea of purchasing the Garmin GPS 60.

It’s within this context that my interest in geocaching has arisen, but I have a few questions that I’d like to ask:

Is geocaching more for the “extreme” sportsperson, e.g. are caches normally hidden half-way up (or down&#33 a mountain, or at the bottom of a lake or bog?

Are there group geocaching events that a couple such as my wife and I could attend, to accompany those more experienced in this hobby? If so, would we need to have our own GPS already?

Are there any recommended books for a beginner, or periodical magazines on geocaching?

Thanks in anticipation of any help given – it will be very much appreciated.

Peter