flashmob.jpg

The first caching event I ever attended was A quick Flash in Stow in October 2010. It maybe be memorable to others because of the fun stocks, or the Morris Dancers that turned up at the end, or walk tall's cool birthday hat But for me it was memorable because it was my first, obviously, but also because it changed me somewhat.

I didn't know what to expect, except for what was written on the cache page of course. I was a little nervous. At that time I wasn't the sort of person that would often make idle chatter with strangers, unless I had consumed a couple of pints at a pub perhaps. But this event was to take place at 10am on a Sunday morning, and I was driving myself there.. no pints before obviously

I soon found I had nothing to fear. The flash event started, and whilst I would have been happy to stand to one side and observe, it wasn't long before friendly cachers approached me to strike up a conversation. The first was RoobyDoo who is in the one photo I took below. Since then I have met him on numerous occasions, out in the field and at events. Looking at the photo further, I think I can name pretty much most of the cachers, because I either passed a few words with them there, or have done at events since.

And, I have been to few more since, nearing 40 now.. official geocaching ones that is. Plus I have been to others, that were not published on the site, and also many 'expeditions' you could possibly call them, including ones with cachers actually in this photo, on a couple of outings to London, CacheWalker caching walks, clambering miles under the ground in disused quarries, and tackling tricky rift caves.

I am glad I decided to get out of bed that Sunday morning and do something different The proof it changed me.. here's a pic four and half years on exiting a caving birthday bash of mine in a disused quarry. Three of the cachers in it can be seen in the above flash mob photo.

bbbb9.jpg

Thank you walk tall for hosting that first flash mob event.