Thanks Thanks:  28

Thread: Question 7 - Commitment to the job

Default Question 7 - Commitment to the job

This is related to a question already asked about Time and Commitment but as it's about a particular subject I felt a separate question would be better. For those who may not know me I'm one of the Geocaching HQ reviewers in the UK. My role in that team is as liaison - I'm usually the point of contact for the team for questions about cache problems, landowner issues etc.

I'm fortunate in being retired and having plenty of time to devote to both reviewing and keeping the UK Geocaching Wiki updated. This involves changes to landowner information, new entries and early this year a major update to the map overlays I've created for many of the entries in the Wiki and the GLAD. This had to be done after Google stopped support for 3rd party maps. I always keep the GAGB informed of what I'm doing but this year I've been rather disappointed the information I've provided to the GAGB hasn't been acted upon which has resulted in the GLAD now being in need of an urgent update. I will be frank here, my priority is the Wiki because that is what we refer to when reviewing caches but we do make references to entries in the GLAD sometimes so it's essential for us the data there is up to date. I consider it an important part of the communication between the GAGB and myself to pass on what I'm doing. Can I be reassured the new committee will bring the GLAD up to date and continue to maintain it?
    Last edited by LadybugKids; 17th November 2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Added question number to Title Block

Apologies yes GLAD this year has had to take a back seat, I haven't updated and maintained GLAD like I did last year. When the new committee has been elected the first job will be assigning the committee with their roles, GLAD manager being one of those jobs. GLAD is an important part of the GAGB and it will be brought up to date and maintained under this new committee.

Hi Chris,

Oh boy! What am I getting into here? This sounds like a deeper issue than just having time to do things.

I suggest that a larger issue last year might have been the loss of a key web-savvy member in Cass? From what I saw, a couple of other members rallied around and got stuck in to the shop, rescued the forums and so on, perhaps that meant less time for less visible techie stuff like database cleanup and digital mapping?

I recommend that this year we all involve Web literate people from outside and inside the committee to help with stuff. Don't try to do everything with too few folk and don't limit ourselves.

GLAD needs attention. Right. We should prioritise that and perhaps divide to conquer the problem. Make it usable by all and easy to maintain, and increase its reliability.

GLAD should not be the be all and end all, though. GAGB will fail if we do this and nothing else. We need helpers, communicators, events, fun, and a sense of community, as well as a reliable list of land owner agreements...
    ~~~
    Ant, of Sharant

I think the reality is Chris that in December the whole committee was absolutely behind a fully functioning GLAD but it soon became apparent that we were running with a disjointed committee and with Terry leaving midway through the year, the attention of the remaining capable and willing members got pulled on to other priorities.

I would see it as a top priority for the new committee to get GLAD up to date and then actively seek out new agreements, sharing all the details with the reviewer team.

I would hope that an incoming committee member would pick GLAD up as a role, sharing it never really seemed to work for me.

I cannot comment on what has gone before but if it is essential for reviewers, those placing caches AND landowners then we should give the attention it deserves. I don't know what this means in commitment terms, but a close linkage with Chris' work should be established. We will know after the election if there are the skills within the committee. If not it is for the committee to co-opt if possible.

As Sharon & Rich have both said, there has been several things this year that we haven't completed e.g. GLAD updates and a revamp of the Constitution.

We started the committee year with a new (joint) webmaster and plans/promises of trying to resolve the email/spam problem and with Sharon being the other joint webmaster, continuing the GLAD updates and building the GAGB shop. Unfortunately, his promises didn't materialise and Sharon ended up taking on most of the webmaster role. As well as making headway with the email problem she also had to deal with an emergency forum upgrade (both of these) things she hadn't dealt with previously so was having to research at same time) as well as building the shop. (with me helping where I could)

Unfortunately, this meant that Sharon hadn't got enough spare time to put into updating GLAD (as she had the previous 6mths or so). I know you had made me aware of the map links Chris and my intention was to try and help out, but just didn't have the hours in the day to be able to do it. With what at time seems like a partial team, I was already putting many hours a week into GAGB work (often late at night/early morning) trying to keep on top of things or at least ticking along.

There is so much more to being on the committee than turning up at a 2 hour meeting every 4 - 6wks and there are several ongoing projects that need continuous input throughout the year.

I am hoping that Sharon ends up with a team that have the skills, time & committment to get back on top of the outstanding topics (including GLAD) and get them completed ASAP.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

With the opening question and some answers it brings two questions to mind.

1- Will the committee allow people to be co-opted to help with certain tasks?

2- Would the committe relay to members if they need help by volunteers in some areas in the day to day running if the need arises? Eg due to the situation where there was great need for the GLAD to be updated over the last committee year.
    (I'm not referring to helping at events.)
    Members or previous committe members may be willing and able to help out in short term if they are aware.

Thank you to all previous committe members of GAGB and especially to Chris for all you do with the Wiki website, Follow-the-Arrow and more for the voluntary work you do behind the scenes for geocaching!
    "Defeat may test you; It need not stop you. If at first you don't succeed, try another way. For every obstacle, there is a solution. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. The greatest mistake is giving up."
    Author Unknown :socool:

The GLAD role was one that I'm interested in. As people have mentioned we are supposed to be the 'credible body in charge' and the voice for UK geocaching so the GLAD role is a very important one. The landowner database is one of the few things the GAGB is known for. We should be keeping the directory up to date otherwise cachers and landowners will lose faith in us as an organisation.

If I was given the GLAD role I would ensure that I put plenty of time into ensuring the database was updated and also liaising with Graculus to ensure all information is correct.

I am very committed to geocaching, and making it as good an experience for all as I can.

In the last 12 months I do feel that I have let myself and the GAGB down with my commitment. There are a number of reasons behind this which I won't air in public.

I aim to commit much more to GAGB should I be re-elected. I expect a large change in my personal circumstances over the next few months - giving even more time to focus on what ever my role may be.

I agree with what has already been said. I wasn't aware that this happened, but I'm confident that whoever is chosen to manage GLAD will do a great job and rectify the issues that you have raised. I'm willing to help with this where needed.
    GAGB Chair
    Chair 2020-2021 & 2023-
    Vice Chair 2019-2020
    Committee Member since 2015
    Member since 2012

Thank you for the replies. I started a new thread in General Discussions specifically to discuss the GLAD and what needs doing.