Thanks Thanks:  31

Thread: Question 9 - Do GAGB require a bigger committee?

Post Question 9 - Do GAGB require a bigger committee?

I have been part of a large number of committees, raising a lot of money for various organisations and charities. Most committees have elected office bearers, and additional members who assist with the day to day running, events etc. To truly be operational in a national way, do you not need more people?
    Last edited by LadybugKids; 18th November 2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added question number to Title

I don't honesty think so. 2 years ago when we set out the list of members to job roles we allocated all the roles and had people spare. What we need is for the team we have to be effective, to do what they say they will in a timely fashion.
    The other factor is being realistic, for the last 2 election processes, we have had 9 candidates for 8 roles and to be honest some of those candidates should never have stood, so I'm not sure where the extra people will come from.

There is also the law of diminishing returns. Having more people doesn't always means more gets done, often it is counter productive. Sharing roles can mean one assuming the other is working on something - our enquiry communications often prove this.

I agree with law of diminishing returns. Where larger committees are effective non elected members definitely need defined tasks - it makes it easier for others to know what is happening, and keeps them committed.

I can see how lack of interest makes it difficult, but I really struggle to see how any committee/group can function at a national level with so few members.

Just look at the Essex committee to see what can be done with a small number of hard working and committed people
    Last edited by richlay; 18th November 2015 at 03:24 PM.

I think 8 is about the right number but the question is do these 8 have the right skills? Some, myself included, may think they have but until the crunch comes we can never be sure.

The committee, being geographically distant to one another will pose it’s problems which may be made worse if there were more members. Controlling the work of 8 should be easier than say 18.

The committee needs to reach beyond the committee. Some people might want to help but fear standing, or might be willing to do a small role but fear letting us down. We can reach out for help and volunteers. Eg we get a call from a local radio station... It would be nice to have someone 'on tap' with the right local accent and knowledge to chat to them! Or we need holiday cover for the shop - surely there is someone out there who we can trust!? We can 'run' an operation with 8 or so, if we can call on others to help!
    ~~~
    Ant, of Sharant

Interesting question. It's important to remember that the GAGB has achieved fantastic things in the past with 8 committee members.

Perhaps in future having a couple more, 9 or 10, would mean roles could be shared but sometimes it's better to have one person manage their own thing so it doesn't get too complicated. As the committee works as a team, I hope we'd help each other out anyway if needed.

As Ant said, the rest of the UK community should feel as if they are part of a wider committee, willing to help wherever they can. I think this is the case for some people, one of the tasks for the year ahead will be making more people feel that they can do this!
    GAGB Chair
    Chair 2020-2021 & 2023-
    Vice Chair 2019-2020
    Committee Member since 2015
    Member since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Grof View Post
    Interesting question. It's important to remember that the GAGB has achieved fantastic things in the past with 8 committee members.

Perhaps in future having a couple more, 9 or 10, would mean roles could be shared but sometimes it's better to have one person manage their own thing so it doesn't get too complicated. As the committee works as a team, I hope we'd help each other out anyway if needed.

As Ant said, the rest of the UK community should feel as if they are part of a wider committee, willing to help wherever they can. I think this is the case for some people, one of the tasks for the year ahead will be making more people feel that they can do this!
    I agree that the additional people do not necessarily have to be committee members as such, but without a pool of people to assist it is extremely difficult to be a 'national group'. GAGB should be the first point of contact for UK geocaching for press etc. Volunteers in various regions would allow them to effectively operate and a far wider range of events, respond to press etc effectively and increase their profile amongst cachers.
    We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open. Jawaharlal Nehru

I think if all 8 committee members fulfill their roles as expected then the GAGB would work well as a team of 8. After all the Essex Mega committee managed to pull off a fantastic event in a shorter than normal space of time.

Do other countries have similar associations of their own and how many members/roles are within these associations? Are these associations well known and respected within each country's geocaching community? Perhaps we should look at these to see how we can improve?

I am now a little confused by the question. Are you asking our opinion or telling us what we should think?

Hard to answer this - a good dedicated and motivated team that work well together can achieve a lot.

A team that does meet up in person often - and perhaps only communicate via a chat room at a committee meeting may not achieve as much.

I have been guilty of doing little communication or perhaps the wrong type of communication and can see now the challenges that has caused.

People with clear set roles - and a set of guidelines to follow make this a bit easier.

As for the number of people - perhaps having more would help - as the GAGB can have more representatives attending the local events across the country, making it easier for them to perhaps meet with organisations and land owners alike.

If we start to raise awareness of GAGB perhaps more people would take part - maybe one day we would end up with a GAGB "contact" if not a full blown committee person in each of the counties around the Great Britain.

Not sure what you mean? I am asking a question and stating my opinion I suppose. Am I not supposed to respond?
    We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open. Jawaharlal Nehru

I would hope that you haven't influenced the answers of those that have followed.

Please do - dialogue is good, and discussing thinking allows everyone to understand more.

It is hard for me to see how the number of elected committee members relates to the effectiveness of the organisation - if we just had three and then lots of volunteers helped out, it could work - depending on the energy level and whether people saw a point of getting involved. We can have eight or eighteen elected folk but if the people elected don't match the skills needed, it wouldn't help either.

If we had eighteen people standing for election I'd perhaps rethink my opinion - and I stand ready to be 'influenced' by you on that subject at any time LOL

Ant