Hello everyone!

I'm new to geocaching, but very impressed with the whole idea and the responsible way it is organised.

I was introduced to geocaching by my rich son who has a super-duper GPS with all the bells and whistles. However, with many varied other hobbies and living on a pension, I cannot justify the outlay required for a GPS.

Now approaching double figures for finds, I am enjoying the challenge of geocaching without the aid of a GPS. I use the description and the clue, I read logs for hints, I look at uploaded images and I copy and paste all this information together with a few tiles downloaded from the Streetmap link. Streetmap is brilliant and always, so far, very accurate. Somehow using a GPS seems like cheating!!

How many other geocachers are there out there resarching carefully before setting off and enjoying the challenge of solving the problem without electronic help?

Are there enough for organisers to add to their description of this great game the a GPS is not essential? It would open up this activity to a significant extra number of participants. I concede that I will not find every geocache without a GPS but what sort of proportion will be impossible?

Finally, would hiders consider indicating [as they already do for difficulty and terrain], whether or not they consider that a cache is is suitable for searchers without a GPS?

Just a thought!

Pigling