Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hello from Rugby and a Question

Question Hello from Rugby and a Question

Dear All,
    I'm new on GAGB and a relatively inexperienced Geo-cacher. However my son for his 14th birthday wanted a 'Geocache party' around Draycote water (there are about 12 to be found I think), ending at the cafe for tea. Sounds fairly straight forward so I'm hoping it goes well but none of his friends who are coming are geocachers. Has anyone done a party like this before - what should I be aware of? Any tips or suggestions welcome!
    Tilly

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly_H View Post
    Dear All,
    I'm new on GAGB and a relatively inexperienced Geo-cacher. However my son for his 14th birthday wanted a 'Geocache party' around Draycote water (there are about 12 to be found I think), ending at the cafe for tea. Sounds fairly straight forward so I'm hoping it goes well but none of his friends who are coming are geocachers. Has anyone done a party like this before - what should I be aware of? Any tips or suggestions welcome!
    Tilly
    Sounds like a fantastic party. I would tell them to wrap up warm and bring some swaps for them. Will you be using just phones?

GAGB Chair
    2015-2020
    GAGB Committee member since March 2014
    UK Mega Event Vice Chairman 2013 (West Midlands)

You might want to make a note of a few easy ones with recent finds, in case they're struggling to find any. Make sure they all know the basics: If they take a swap item they should replace it with something of similar value. Travel bugs want to travel - they should only be taken if they're to be put in another cache. Rehide caches as you found them. And leave no traces you were there - easier said than done with a group of fourteen-year-olds, I know! I hope it all goes well - enjoy!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

If it's a short loop, I suggest doing it quickly yourself first so you know where everything is. Then the party can go better - and if they really struggle with one you can play 'warmer' 'colder' and so on. You can also check that each cache is in OK condition - it's rare to find a something 'not nice' next to a cache but if you have time, it's a bonus to check for that.

Everything that Bill says, I echo too. That's good advice there.

Finally, maybe tell the Cache Owner (message them from the cache listing page).
    ~~~
    Ant, of Sharant