Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: What software?

saywell Guest

Hi,

Thinking about taking up this sport!

Currently have iPAQ 6340 with TomTom5. This is great for car navigation, but I don't think it will be any good for geocacheing!

What do the team think are the best PPC apps to use with my existing hardware? I wondered about the FUGAWI product, based on OS maps?

Regards,

William

Memory Map for mapping and GPS Dash for emulating a dedicated GPSr.
    Enjoy your caching!

The Hokesters Guest

Plus GPX sonar for carrying cache data with you and SpoilerSync for scraping spoiler pictures and carrying them on your PPC.

I believe that you can use GPS dash but have not tried it myself. I think the general consensus is that a dedicated GPSr is the best option for hunting the boxes. But there's no reason not to have a go with GPS dash and see what you think.

GPSr's are available from about £40 now!

Good luck with your first hunt...let us know how you get on.

saywell Guest

Thanks, Guys.

I've had a look at memory map's website. The latest version seems to do at least some of the things gps dash does and I wonder if it would do on its own? Surely just scrolling map position is all that's needed from this package - not interested in rates of climb etc!

The GPX sonar site rather loses me - I think I'll have to give it a go before I understand what it's trying to do.

Regards,

William