Thanks Thanks:  9

Thread: geocache placement query...

Question geocache placement query...

Hello is there a minimum number of caches you need to find before you are allowed to place on of your own?
    Just wondering - I've seen some geocaches that have been placed by people who haven't found many caches.

No, there's no minimum number. It's generally recommended that you find a fair few before you place your first, to get a feel for good locations and good hiding places, but it's not a requirement. If you feel ready to hide one then go ahead.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    No, there's no minimum number. It's generally recommended that you find a fair few before you place your first, to get a feel for good locations and good hiding places, but it's not a requirement. If you feel ready to hide one then go ahead.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbil Fanatic View Post
    I've seen some geocaches that have been placed by people who haven't found many caches.
    You will sometimes find hiders that have apparently found very few or even no caches. This is sometime an extra account set up for hiding caches or a particular series of caches. For instance I have a joint account with my wife for hiding caches under the name Phillimore Clan which has zero finds and 238 hides.
    The other half of The Phillimore Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbil Fanatic View Post
    Hello is there a minimum number of caches you need to find before you are allowed to place on of your own?
    Just wondering - I've seen some geocaches that have been placed by people who haven't found many caches.
    Welcome!

Well worth reading the guidelines.
    https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

The more geocaches that you have found, the better you will understand the various elements that make up a great geocaching experience. This knowledge will be invaluable when you place a hide, and likely make your geocache more enjoyable for the community. We encourage you to find at least twenty geocaches before you choose to hide one.
    And, as a UK cacher it's worth a read of https://wiki.groundspeak.com/display/GEO/United+Kingdom which the link can be found http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/re.../default.shtml (Another site worth reading/bookmarking!)

So, no minimum number, but a suggestion to 'find' some first.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas