Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: RE: CACHED OUT - a geocaching murder mystery

Smile RE: CACHED OUT - a geocaching murder mystery

Are you looking for a suitable Christmas gift for a geocacher or just a good read? My geocaching murder mystery Cached Out is just the ticket.

Newly retired from the FBI and alone after the tragic death of his wife, Cliff Knowles takes up geocaching. While looking for a cache in the mountains he comes across a human skeleton and reports it to the sheriff's office. Then a second body is found - a fresh corpse this time - right after Cliff found another geocache nearby. When it turns out the first remains are those of a fugitive he was supposed to arrest years earlier, he becomes a suspect in a multiple homicide investigation. He has no choice but to use his sleuthing skills to identify the mysterious cache owner, known only as Enigmal, and free himself from suspicion.

It's available in Kindle and paperback form from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cached-Cliff...5354939&sr=8-2

Last edited by northking; 12th December 2012 at 11:46 PM.

The above post has been agreed by the GAGB committee - we are hoping to have further information about the book and the author.
    Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.

just bought it on kindle - will try to read at weekend and let you know !!
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Have downloaded it and started reading.
    Will report back when I get to grips with it

Chapter 6 and lost the plot!
    Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by northking View Post
    The above post has been agreed by the GAGB committee - we are hoping to have further information about the book and the author.
    If you have any questions, let me know. I'm a retired FBI agent and 10-year geocacher. The puzzles in the story are all puzzles that appeared in now archived caches in and around Silicon Valley. You don't have to solve them or be into puzzles to follow the plot. The characters solve them all for you. You don't even have to be a geocacher to enjoy the mystery. I have had a number of reviews on Amazon or elsewhere say they weren't geocachers but still enjoyed it as a pure murder mystery.

I am now offering a 10% discount to geocachers on the paperback if you buy through the publisher's site, CreateSpace. Contact me through the geocaching.com profile page (The Rat) so I know you're a geocacher and I'll send you the discount code and link. Sorry I don't have a way to do that through Amazon.

By the way, I sent a Cached Out TB over to the UK for the Midlands Halloween event but it has gone missing. I think someone won it there, but it has not been placed in circulation since. If anyone knows where it is, please let the holder know it intended to travel, not be a collector's item.

Just picked up this thread. I was given the book as a Christmas present by a non-geocacher so I wasn't sure what to expect! Any reservations I had were soon dispelled as I quickly got engrossed in the story. It gives a good insight into the FBI and other US agencies methods of investigation and collaboration whilst blending in the geocaching element quite nicely. It's reasonably paced which makes for a good read, and as it's not (dare I say) too geo-nerdy it would probably be enjoyed by most murder mystery novel enthusiasts too.
    Nice one Rat :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by ph123456 View Post
    Just picked up this thread. I was given the book as a Christmas present by a non-geocacher so I wasn't sure what to expect! Any reservations I had were soon dispelled as I quickly got engrossed in the story. It gives a good insight into the FBI and other US agencies methods of investigation and collaboration whilst blending in the geocaching element quite nicely. It's reasonably paced which makes for a good read, and as it's not (dare I say) too geo-nerdy it would probably be enjoyed by most murder mystery novel enthusiasts too.
    Nice one Rat :cheers:

I agree wholeheartedly - bloomin' good read :socool:

"Bloomin" is not an adjective we use much on the left coast of America, but I watch enough BBC to appreciate the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
    "Bloomin" is not an adjective we use much on the left coast of America, but I watch enough BBC to appreciate the compliment.

:lol::lol::lol::cheers::cheers:

I read this a little while ago.

A good read spoilt (for me) by the explanations of geocaching bits being in the middle of the storey rather than in footnotes or addendum.

I continue to get sales in the UK for Cached Out, so I thank you all and especially the moderators of this forum for the support and permission to post here. There is a sequel for those interested. It's called Fatal Dose, and unlike Cached Out, it is not themed on geocaching. It features the same main character, Cliff Knowles, and he is still a geocacher. There is a good geocaching scene in it, and some other references, but they're not central to the plot. Both soft cover and Kindle are available from Amazon.

Default End of the trilogy

Death Row, the final sequel to Cached Out, is now available in both Kindle and paperback form. It follows Fatal Dose chronologically, but the plot picks up from Cached Out. There is a lot of geocaching in it.

UK fans of the Cliff Knowles Mysteries, here's a Christmas gift for you. You can get a free copy of Cached Out. It has just been recorded as an audiobook (by a professional voice actor, thank heavens, not by me). The publisher, Audible.com, has given me some promo codes for the UK that allow you to download it for free. No strings attached. If you're interested, just contact me by direct email (since I don't stop by this board very often.) I'll send you the code and instructions on how to use it. My direct email is Russ [dot] Atkinson [at] gmail.com. Note that this is the downloadable version only, not CDs, so you must have a tablet, iPod, computer, smart phone, etc. that you can use. If you click on the above link you can listen to a sample of it. I'd love to get some reviews on Audible.com, but that's not a condition of getting the code. Any geocacher in the UK who wants one is welcome to it until I run out of codes, so share this post and my email with anyone you know who'd like it.