Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Membership

John & Hazel Guest

Can somebody please explain the different forms of Membership, ie group, group/non voting etc
    Also if a member is group/non voting can they propose/second nominations?

moote Guest

Yes that is an excellent point I noticed this on some of the posts; maybe it is a control thing, in the same way the election of the new Chairperson was controlled.

Milton (aka Moote on GC.com)

Posted in my very special log off way :lol:

Under the terms of the constitution, only members who joined before an election was announced can vote. This was included to avoid last minute sock puppet accounts being created to influence the voting.

If you're shown as a "member" then you have voting rights, and a "member, non-voting" obviously doesn't have those rights.

Unfortunately, we've had many problems trying to keep the now huge membership list free of dead accounts whilst ensuring that everyone who is entitled to vote is listed as a voting member.

We've sent out periodical mass mailings asking people to validate their membership, but it seems that some of the emails get trapped by people's spam filters, some email addresses registered with us are no longer valid, and of course some people just don't respond to the emails.

If you became a member of GAGB before the elections were announced on September 28th then you should be showing as a "member". If you're showing as "member, non-voting" then please let us know and we'll correct that.

Three people have posted in these recent threads who were showing as non-voting, but who joined before the elections were announced. I've changed them to voting members.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

There doesn't appear to be anything that says a "member, non-voting" can't nominate someone for election, or second a nomination.

paul.blitz Guest

New members become "non-voting members" by default. Every so often (and not very often recently&#33 someone goes through the list, and upgrades the membership to be "full voting members". During the process, we weed out obvious "sock-puppet" accounts... but 99.9% just get changed.

Funnily enough, I put a post out to the GAGB committee last night asking if someone could do just this.... I'm just rather busy right now, with Hospital Radio, otherwise I would have done it myself.

As Bill says, we normally set the cutoff date as the date we call the election, to prevent "sock-puppet" accounts being created (as was alleged during the first elections).

As for who can nominate... I would say that, as long as you were a member before the election was called (and thus get upgraded to a full voting member at some point) then there's no problems nominating someone.

And if there's a problem, I'd happily nominate ANYONE who want to stand.

Paul
    (currently not actually on the GAGB committee, since Bill took over as Chairman!!&#33

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 3 2005, 09:52 PM
    Paul
    (currently not actually on the GAGB committee, since Bill took over as Chairman!!&#33
    For heaven's sake someone co-opt him!
    Enjoy your caching!

moote01 Guest

Just posting to see what my voting status is

OK..I nominate Paul Blitz.. Poor ****** to be a memeber of committee.. cos he be a damb fine person.. bit deef like moi.. but damb fine

That do yer John

An as I'm founder memeber.. wot I says goes.. so me ole cock sparra.. yer nomionated..

God I love this time of year he hehehehehehe

OK serious head..

I do Nominate Paul as a memeber of committee.. and it is all down to continuity.. something the GAGB need.

Said me bit.. back in me hole :huh:
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

John & Hazel Guest

Thank You.
    My questions have been answered, closing thread

It seems I joined "in time" but am still non-voting, could this be sorted out please?

Dorsetgal wrote:
    It seems I joined "in time" but am still non-voting, could this be sorted out please?
    Wendy, you're now a Member with voting rights.

Excellent, thanks Bill

why can't I vote?

lost it wrote:
    why can't I vote?
    You can. You joined before the election announcement, and you're listed as a "Member" not as a "Member, non-voting". Or am I missing something?

But you don't allow "ordinary" members to see the membership list. What is this, some kind of secret society?

I've never been a member of any club, society or organisation before where the members list is undisclosed.

If I choose to nomnate someone for office, how could I find a seconder if I don't even know who the other members are?

-
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote