Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: sock puppets

I am making the assumption that the issues with voting member non voting are to prevent sock puppet accounts and cachers who are not from Great Britain from voting.
    Is this assumption correct ?
    Regards
    Mark
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Originally posted by markandlynn@Nov 18 2005, 09:44 AM
    I am making the assumption that the issues with voting member non voting are to prevent sock puppet accounts and cachers who are not from Great Britain from voting.
    Is this assumption correct ?
    Regards
    Mark
    That seems to be the general idea. But as no one knows who is a member and who isn't, it's difficult to know quite what goes on.

-
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

I presume as a constitutional group the committee have meetings, are there any minutes from these meeetings that members can read? :unsure:

Sock_Puppet Guest

As a Sock_Puppet, I feel aggrieved that we are treated as 3rd class citizens, I say 3rd class as normal members are treated like 2nd class citizens by the Committee.

Yours

Sock Puppet

Originally posted by lost it@Nov 18 2005, 09:58 AM
    I presume as a constitutional group the committee have meetings, are there any minutes from these meetings that members can read? :unsure:
    Its an online group read the history of the forum from day one for "meeting" minutes.
    Its the buttone in the bottom corner which defaults to last 30 days.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

moote01 Guest

Originally posted by markandlynn+Nov 18 2005, 10:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (markandlynn &#064; Nov 18 2005, 10:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lost it@Nov 18 2005, 09:58 AM
    I presume as a constitutional group the committee have meetings, are there any minutes from these meetings that members can read? :unsure:
    Its an online group read the history of the forum from day one for "meeting" minutes.
    Its the buttone in the bottom corner which defaults to last 30 days. [/b][/quote]
    Maybe this is just one way things can be improved upon, why not have a latest news section on the homepage of GAGB and on this page have a brief of the news (with date) and a link to the full article. Then have a forum topic in the background where the comments can be made/posted. It&#39;s how other organisations work&#33;

Milton (aka Moote)

paul.blitz Guest

If anyone wishes to be pedantic, then you will find that the current committee have NOT had the "required" number of committee meetings... and you can&#39;t have minutes for meetings that simply never happened, can you?&#33;

Yes, I guess we should formally tell ourselves off (but haven&#39;t had a meeting at which to do so...).

Being accused of doing something sinister implies that we&#39;ve actually DONE something... so if we&#39;ve not done ANYTHING, then we can&#39;t really be guilty, can we??? :unsure:

Paul

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by Sock_Puppet@Nov 18 2005, 10:48 AM
    As a Sock_Puppet, I feel aggrieved that we are treated as 3rd class citizens, I say 3rd class as normal members are treated like 2nd class citizens by the Committee.

Yours

Sock Puppet
    But we&#39;ve not done *anything*... so if we did nothing then we can&#39;t have treated members as 2nd class citizens..... you need to actually DO something to be guilty of that&#33;

:

Paul

Lol

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by markandlynn@Nov 18 2005, 09:44 AM
    There&#39;s actually nothing to stop "foreigners" being members, as long as they are "interested in furthering the objects"&#33;

Its to do with those sock puppet accounts really.

I don&#39;t think its much of an issue now, but when the organisation was originally set up, there were a lot of sock-puppet accounts created, along with various accusations of mutiple voting (using the sock puppet accounts), and the legitimacy of those elected.

From an ongoing database management point of view, its really a major pain in the butt, but its probably the safest way to do it. Yes, we discussed "send a pound in the post" etc as a way to verify members, but the desire was that membership should be free (and that is now one of the GAGB Objectives in the constitution)

Paul

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 19 2005, 05:09 PM
    when the organisation was originally set up, there were a lot of sock-puppet accounts created, along with various accusations of mutiple voting (using the sock puppet accounts),
    That does worry me but as we have had a non election ie five required five put forward its not an issue this year and you now have 12 months to look into it.

I hope you continue your success negotiating with disgruntled landowners finding tupperware hidden on thier property without permision as the outgoing chairman and commitee have done for the last year.