My becoming Chairman of GAGB has stirred up something of a storm, and unleashed a lot of bitterness. That was of course never my intention. In the circumstances, I don't feel that it's in the organization's best interests for me to continue.

I hereby resign as Chairman of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

Perhaps I might say a little to put my feelings into context. I've been a committee member of GAGB for some nineteen months, and in that time I've done a great deal of work for the organization. Prior to the recent election run-up, I felt that I'd done enough, and it was my intention to stand down this month.

Then I was asked if I would accept nomination for the post of Chairman. Whilst I do feel that GAGB has achieved a great deal in its as yet short life, I wasn't always happy with some aspects of it, and on reflection I felt that as Chairman I might be in a better position to make changes. After some considerable thought, I accepted the nomination.

I now feel that I made a mistake in doing so. I've put in a lot of time for GAGB, and I shall now stand down and let others do the work, and of course take the inevitable flak that goes with it.

I offer the new Chairman and the new committee members, whoever they may be, my very best wishes.