Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Chairman of GAGB

My becoming Chairman of GAGB has stirred up something of a storm, and unleashed a lot of bitterness. That was of course never my intention. In the circumstances, I don't feel that it's in the organization's best interests for me to continue.

I hereby resign as Chairman of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

Perhaps I might say a little to put my feelings into context. I've been a committee member of GAGB for some nineteen months, and in that time I've done a great deal of work for the organization. Prior to the recent election run-up, I felt that I'd done enough, and it was my intention to stand down this month.

Then I was asked if I would accept nomination for the post of Chairman. Whilst I do feel that GAGB has achieved a great deal in its as yet short life, I wasn't always happy with some aspects of it, and on reflection I felt that as Chairman I might be in a better position to make changes. After some considerable thought, I accepted the nomination.

I now feel that I made a mistake in doing so. I've put in a lot of time for GAGB, and I shall now stand down and let others do the work, and of course take the inevitable flak that goes with it.

I offer the new Chairman and the new committee members, whoever they may be, my very best wishes.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

I for one am very sad to see this development Bill.

Seems those that don't keep their eye on the boards then kick up stink because they missed something have won through.

A very sad development in this saga, and I certainly hope this is not the final conclusion!

Bill,

I wish to make it clear that I have no probelm with you being Chairman. It is the way things are done in the future that I would like to see changed. I personally would prefer it if you did stay on as Chairman.

In reply to Wendys comment. One posting that is easily missed is not good enough and I know many others feel this way.

I am not here to "kick up a fuss" that is not my style on serious issues. It is not a case of winning through.

I merely think things could have been done better and am willing to put my money where my mouth is and to provide asssist assistance to the organisation.

Tony

moote01 Guest

Bill,

I know that I kicked up a fuss, about your position as Chairperson of GAGB but on reflection I believe that we were not entirely correct about our rants in early November, I thought that I had made that clear, obviously that was not the case.

I posted today on the GC.com forums because I want a greater number of people to be aware of the elections, and that post I personally believe is well thought out and positive. If as you say you wanted to change things then I myself think that your recent decision maybe not the best thing for GAGB. To this aim I personally place my support behind you to take back the position of Chairperson.

If I am elected on to GAGB then I would support, the Chairperson wholeheartedly.

Milton (aka Moote)

The Hokesters Guest

Who'd be a volunteer eh?

Bill I too hope you reconsider. Along with myself, Paul and one or two others I think Bill is the only person who regularly replies to posts on the GAGB forum and his knowledge and courtesy would be sadly missed.

I echo Wendy's post whilst agreeing that the process for elections can I have no doubt will be improved by the incoming committee with or without Bill as chairMAN.

My gut feeling though is 'Storm in a Teacup' and if the result is the loss of Bill's services then I will be bloomin' annoyed.

Simon

Hope you will reconsider and put yourself up for re-electon Bill .
    We like Greens

Simon has exactly expressed my feelings and I endorse every word he has just written. Please Bill, reconsider - continuity and experience are important.
    Enjoy your caching!

paul.blitz Guest

I hope Bill WILL reconsider his resignation as chairman.

Can I suggest that we give Bill some breathing space, and after the impending committee elections (if we actually need them&#33 maybe Bill might be willing to withdraw his resignation, and remain as Chairman.

Heck, has anyone actually ACCEPTED his resignation? :-)

Paul

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 18 2005, 09:03 PM
    I hope Bill WILL reconsider his resignation as chairman.

<snip>

Heck, has anyone actually ACCEPTED his resignation? :-)

Oh my goodness, I sincerely hope nobody has&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Nov 18 2005, 09:03 PM
    Can I suggest that we give Bill some breathing space, and after the impending committee elections (if we actually need them&#33 maybe Bill might be willing to withdraw his resignation, and remain as Chairman
    Paul
    GAGB has always been run by people who play the "I resign" card whenever things don&#39;t go their way, so what the heck. Stay on Bill.
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

nobbynobbs Guest

well count that as another reconsider bill.

hopefully common sense has prevailed and any lessons that needed to be learnt by people, like keeping in touch with the forum for instance, have been learnt.

hope you are able to take up the role again....you ain&#39;t going anywhere till we say you can&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol:

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Nov 19 2005, 04:31 AM
    well count that as another reconsider bill.

hopefully common sense has prevailed and any lessons that needed to be learnt by people, like keeping in touch with the forum for instance, have been learnt.

hope you are able to take up the role again....you ain&#39;t going anywhere till we say you can&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol:
    Intersting point about keeping in touch with the forums. I do check the forums several times a day.

However when running around looking after one parent at home and visiting the other one in hospital I do miss the odd day.

I am sure other people have the same problem.

Cheers

Tony

Originally posted by Muggle@Nov 19 2005, 01:11 AM

GAGB has always been run by people who play the "I resign" card whenever things don&#39;t go their way, so what the heck. Stay on Bill.
    I think that&#39;s a bit mean to say that.

By resigning Bill was offering the opportunity for the election to be called again as there seem to be some folks who now, in the middle of the election process, have decided for whatever reasons that it is unfair in some way.

The question one should really be asking is, was it right to oppose a constitutionally held election and place the newly elected encumbent of the post of chairman in such a position that he felt, for the greater good, the need to resign, simply becasue those involved didn&#39;t care to check the forum of the organisation?

Originally posted by Dorsetgal+Nov 19 2005, 01:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dorsetgal &#064; Nov 19 2005, 01:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Muggle@Nov 19 2005, 01:11 AM

I think that&#39;s a bit mean to say that.

By resigning Bill was offering the opportunity for the election to be called again as there seem to be some folks who now, in the middle of the election process, have decided for whatever reasons that it is unfair in some way.

The question one should really be asking is, was it right to oppose a constitutionally held election and place the newly elected encumbent of the post of chairman in such a position that he felt, for the greater good, the need to resign, simply becasue those involved didn&#39;t care to check the forum of the organisation?[/b][/quote]
    I really do take offence at the "didn&#39;t care to check".

This was not the case.

I am talking about the future not the past.

Please don&#39;t try to make me out to be some kind of villain.

Tony

Originally posted by Mongoose39uk@Nov 19 2005, 02:56 PM

I really do take offence at the "didn&#39;t care to check".

This was not the case.

I am talking about the future not the past.

Please don&#39;t try to make me out to be some kind of villain.

Tony
    Sorry Tony, but I don&#39;t see what there is to take offence at, the forum was not checked by certain people and then they claimed the election process was underhand in some way because they didn&#39;t notice it was underway.

If you would prefer I am happy to change the wording of that sentence to "did not check". B)

Wendy,

I am not getting into an argument with you in here. Everything has been discussed at great length.

Please lets move on and be constructive rather than destructive.

Thanks

Tony

paul.blitz Guest

Dear All

As you are probably aware from the previous postings in this forum, Bill formally resigned as chairman. I can appreciate the reasoning behind this, but have exchanged a few emails with Bill in the background.

I would like to suggest to everyone that we let Bill have the next week to decide what he wants to do... my reading of the responses in this forum is that we are very happy for his election result to stand, and that we would like Bill to indeed be our chairman for the next year.

But, if you feel I&#39;ve misread things, I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll let your feelings be known&#33;

So, whilst we let Bill decide, and if noone objects, I&#39;m happy to "lead things" here (which in real terms means I do very little, apart from getting in touch with our new committee members&#33

Paul Blitz

PS: Unlike last week, I&#39;m not due to be away for the next week or two&#33;

Very happy to allow Bill time to consider his position.

moote01 Guest

I am fully behind Bill, I would love to work with him at the helm of GAGB

I do understand that he needs the time to think, and hope he will come back on board.

Milton

I&#39;d like to say thank you to everyone who has expressed their support for me, both in the forums and privately. I&#39;ve been quite surprised to have received so much support from so many people&#33; Thank you to all of you.

I fully agree with what Paul has said above, and I will make an announcement in this forum later this week.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Originally posted by Muggle@Nov 19 2005, 01:11 AM
    In future please ignore any post from me that is time-stamped after midnight.
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote