Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Trackable etiquette?

Default Trackable etiquette?

Hi, I'm fairly new to geocaching and wondered if any of you could help me with trackable etiquette.
    Recently I have found a few caches which list trackables on the inventory, but the trackable isn't in the cache. I try to take a photo of the cache contents and write on my log entry that the trackable wasn't there. Should I contact the owner of the trackable, or do they get a notification when the cache is visited?

Also, with regard to travel bug hotels, is "the done thing" to swap one trackable for another? Do I just pick up the trackable I like the look of, or should I pick up the one which has been in the cache the longest?

Would be grateful for any advice.....

Only the cache owner gets a notification when you log a cache, the TB owner only gets a notification if the trackable is picked up or discovered and you will need the tracking code which is on the TB. You can select the TB and message the owner but the TB maybe in someone hands already and they haven't yet retrieved the TB from the cache. I would leave the CO of the cache to notify the TB owner that the TB maybe missing and mention in your log that there was no TB in the cache.

For TB hotels I would leave at least 1 TB in the cache and just note the tracking number and discover it.

GAGB Chair
    2015-2020
    GAGB Committee member since March 2014
    UK Mega Event Vice Chairman 2013 (West Midlands)

Thanks for your advice.

I will certainly be using the tip on "discovering" TB, I hadn't thought to do that.

Mention in your log you saw no TB's.

I try to post a note on the TB's page if I dont see a TB in a cache. (With date and cache name - notes dont show the cache name...)
    If someone has taken it recently, its not a problem as the TB should soon be logged.

TB Hotels, take any you think you can help.
    Leaving at least one for other cachers is nice, but not compulsory!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas