Thanks Thanks:  26

Thread: Question 3: GAGB Annual weekend

Default Question 3: GAGB Annual weekend

The GAGB annual weekend was established in 2013 (as the 10yr anniversary of the GAGB) with the aim of promoting the GAGB around the UK.

I was disappointed this year to see that Sharon & Ant (sharant) were the only committee members to host an event for the GAGB annual weekend.

If you were elected to the committee, would you put the effort in to organise your own event as part of the GAGB Annual weekend (which has primarily been promoted as a CITO event and is an opportunity to work with your local landowners).
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

If Elected I would seek to arrange a CITO event for the GAGB annual weekend as I have strong connections with the local authorities in my county.
    I would actively promote the GAGB and would also seek to actively to arrange events regularly as I have extensive experience of events management. So as a result of this I would organise a monthly meet and greet with me for members in the North East of England (where I live).
    I would also encourage other committee members to do the same in their local region and have open chat at these events. This is so regular feedback could be given to the committee from the open chat opportunities given.
    Last edited by geocaching womble; 15th November 2017 at 06:47 PM.

Yes I would I put it on GAGB CITO in my local nature reserve and they said they would like to see us next year. And I’ve encouraged them to maybe do a Geocaching series and they said they will consider it. And I will try and promote my event to get even more people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From Harri Boorman (GCHarribo)

Yes, I would certainly try to arrange a CITO event on the relevant weekend, if it was possible.

I regret not hosting a CITO in September. I had travel plans which fell through, by which point it was too late to organise one.

In order to make up for this, I promoted it widely on social media. I also contacted the hosts of all non-GAGB CITOs to let them know that we were organising a UK CITO weekend. I received a good response, with almost all of them changing their CITO into a GAGB one. It turns out that the majority were not aware that our Annual Weekend was taking place - if re-elected, I would find new ways to promote it next year. It was our biggest Annual Weekend yet, and I am happy to have played a small part in it, despite being unable to organise a CITO myself.

To answer the question, If re-elected I would organise my own event. As all GAGB members are encouraged to take part, I would probably organise one anyway.
    GAGB Chair
    Chair 2020-2021 & 2023-
    Vice Chair 2019-2020
    Committee Member since 2015
    Member since 2012

I actually attended the first GAGB CITO (GC29Z9Z) in 2010 and think they are great - I'll promote others' CITOs and encourage everyone - not just committee members - to host one.

I do not believe that committee members should feel they *have* to host a CITO, though - there are sometimes good reasons why people cannot, such as plans that fall through, illness, or due to themselves not being the sort of person who feels comfortable organising such things. It'd be great if they can, and if not it'd be nice if they attended someone else's, but nobody's going to lose a vote from me based on this issue.

I admire achievements, and each committee member should put in what they can and achieve in their own way, whether that be managing the GLAD database, answering queries, handling the shop, running the website, or whatever role or roles they commit to. I see GAGB being successful when we have a larger group of people doing things like GAGB CITOs, and not have us all rely on the 9 people on the committee. Arthur's social media campaign this September was really successful in this, with a much larger range of 'friendly' event organisers agreeing to come under our GAGB umbrella.
    ~~~
    Ant, of Sharant

I’m not sure

I will certainly help with events through the year.

Having lots of of events across the country on same weekend could be a bag thing.

We can’t easily support or attend any others in same weekend.

Perhaps some kind of relay would work?

Gagab from Lands end to John O groats in a weekend?

Yes, I would arrange CITO event on the relevant weekend, i have never hosted a CITO so this would be a great chance to host one.

The GAGB Annual weekend well i was trying my hardest last year to get a CITO organised with permission of the local parish council for one or both of the nature reserves they look after but unfortunately i met a brick wall of silence from my contacts who had previously granted me permission to place caches in these areas, and had talked to in the past about holding a CITO event. Hopefully next year if the Parish council agrees should be able to hold one. I was present and supported the one that Sharant held.

I have been in contact with the Canal and Rivers Trust about setting up a CITO event in the Lee Valley just north of London and this is something I could organise for next years annual event if re-elected.

Quote Originally Posted by abiherts View Post
    I have been in contact with the Canal and Rivers Trust about setting up a CITO event in the Lee Valley just north of London and this is something I could organise for next years annual event if re-elected.
    I would advise you proceed anyway - not only if you are elected. As was shown this year, more non-committee, than committee hosted an event on the GAGB annual weekend.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)