Thanks Thanks:  26

Thread: Question 5: How do you think you can make a difference to GAGB?

Default Question 5: How do you think you can make a difference to GAGB?

I think I can make a difference because I’ll share geocaching moments of other people’s pictures (with permission) so we can be talking to the GAGb members through social media.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    From Harri Boorman (GCHarribo)

I feel I can make a difference to the GAGB by bringing new ideas and creating new ways of engaging existing members by having open forums at events on a regular basis so the Members feel like they are heard. I also would like to create a new tier of membership for current members to have a more active role and provide with a regular feedback to the committee.

If elected I will work to make new ideas a reality.

I would like to see The GAGB raise its profile and become much more reputable.

Perhaps as a registered community initiative company recognised as one of the ngb’s By sport England National Gouverning Body)

If I am re-elected and take on the role of Treasurer again, I see it as my duty not only to ensure that correct financial records are kept but also to assist in fundraising so that we have the monies available that we need in order to carry out our core aims.

Would you also like to see it recognised in the other home nations too or just by Sport England?

I hope I can make a difference by continuing to find new ways to engage our members and spread the word about GAGB.

The establishment of a 'GAGB Friends' tier would be a key way to go about achieving this.

I feel that I would make a difference more generally by bringing enthusiasm to the committee, and offering my ideas, thoughts and opinions in meetings.
    GAGB Chair
    Chair 2020-2021 & 2023-
    Vice Chair 2019-2020
    Committee Member since 2015
    Member since 2012

I want to improve the image of the GAGB and turn the association into something that UK geocachers are proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by UKCACHEMAG View Post

Perhaps as a registered community initiative company recognised as one of the ngb’s By sport England National Gouverning Body)
    Come on Adam, how do you think you can make a difference to the GAGB was the question.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by abiherts View Post
    I want to improve the image of the GAGB and turn the association into something that UK geocachers are proud of.
    How though?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think running another survey to see what people would like from the GAGB would be advantageous. I analysed the last survey and found that a number of people felt that the GAGB did not represent geocachers in Britain. There is a very mixed image about the association. I think running competitions for both young and old, improving member discounts, revamping or discontinuing the forums, arranging more roving events & CITO's are just a fraction of things that could revitalise the association's image and that I would be suggesting at the next meeting/AGM should I be re-elected.

I'm already pretty active on various social media platforms, linking the GAGB pages to my posts quite frequently, I attend a fair few events, I attend Megas etc when possible, but mostly, I speak to people.

So many people I have spoken to now get the GLAD agreements, the fact we answer email and phone call enquiries, sort out caches found where they shouldn't be, send representatives to meet the media, apply and update GLAD agreements... so many behind the scenes roles.

I will carry on spreading the good word if elected, as well as help sort out the next few promotional items in the pipeline (tags, clothing, coin etc) so that more awareness of the gagb is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by UKCACHEMAG View Post

Geocaching isn't a sport though - it's a hobby. Sports generally have 'winners'. I don't see the value (or point) in trying to get it recognised by Sport England.

Quote Originally Posted by abiherts View Post
    I think running another survey to see what people would like from the GAGB would be advantageous. I analysed the last survey and found that a number of people felt that the GAGB did not represent geocachers in Britain. There is a very mixed image about the association. I think running competitions for both young and old, improving member discounts, revamping or discontinuing the forums, arranging more roving events & CITO's are just a fraction of things that could revitalise the association's image and that I would be suggesting at the next meeting/AGM should I be re-elected.
    I'm not sure what the point of running another survey would be, if there's already been a survey? Surely it would just come back with similar results?

Yes of course, once recognised by one easier to be accepted by others.

As for some of the things that i've been and plan on continuing doing, a lot of people might not notice at all, i've slowly going through the GAGB website at a code level updating parts of the code, hopefully reducing the errors that the site generates, reducing bad links, improving accessibility and validating the code against the latest W3C standards. Does it make a difference, most people would perceive not, it might make a page load quicker here and there but i believe websites should follow standards just like when we are placing caches and that's where my expertise lies, and i make contributions and ideas to other areas based on my experiences.

If we can run a survey for free (which is likely after the election) let's target a few specific questions about the plans mooted in the election. It's been two years since the last one, and if we ask new, different questions, that'll be a small step towards 'listening', after all.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    ~~~
    Ant, of Sharant

Quote Originally Posted by Paperballpark View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of running another survey would be, if there's already been a survey? Surely it would just come back with similar results?
    The last survey was 2 years ago, so opinions may have changed, and we can ask different questions - in which case it shouldn't come back with similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by Antreid View Post
    If we can run a survey for free (which is likely after the election) let's target a few specific questions about the plans mooted in the election. It's been two years since the last one, and if we ask new, different questions, that'll be a small step towards 'listening', after all.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by border caz View Post
    The last survey was 2 years ago, so opinions may have changed, and we can ask different questions - in which case it shouldn't come back with similar results.
    I agree. I've just had a look at the survey results from 2015, and I feel we've made good progress in some areas, and not much in others. It would be interesting to have an updated version of the survey results, to review the current situation. It's important to ask new questions as well e.g. about GAGB Friends.
    GAGB Chair
    Chair 2020-2021 & 2023-
    Vice Chair 2019-2020
    Committee Member since 2015
    Member since 2012