At Moote's suggestion I'm posting this here as well as on the Groundspeak forums:

I've just had a nice letter from my local town council giving me permission to place my first cache on council owned land on a six month trial basis. I am a little knocked down, however, by their request "for your confirmation of insurance that you hold to undertake this activity." Given that the area is frequented by dog walkers, kite flyers, footballers etc who I am sure are all un-insured for their activities I am at a loss as how to respond. My understanding is that for an activity such as geocaching any public liability is on the head of the participant and without being rude to the council I have no idea what to say that doesn't come across as "stop being really stupid!". Help please.

Many thanks

Mr Nibbler