Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Help Needed Urgently

I hope the Committe do not mind me posting this request?

Unfortunately the Domain Name for geocaching.org.uk is up for renewal in 3 weeks time. Currently we need some one who is prepared to step in and write the Database for the site. I do not have the skills or knowledge to do it, and the Webmaster who has the skills is over committed so does not have the available time to write it.

What we are looking for is someone who has the skills to write the Database from scratch and the time to do so. This is a unique opportunity to give to the UK caching community their own cache listing site, were they will have a full say in what happens, without taking anything away from GC (dual listings and possibly a link to the relevent GC page).

If we can not find some one to step in within 14 days geocaching.org.uk will cease to exist!

Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

moote01 Guest

Dave

I never knew about this site, but at present I am involved on the fringe of a project with StuartP with Geocache.org.uk, I have spoken to Stuart and we feel that combining efforfs might be a good idea.

If you are interested feel free to contact me or Stuart on swp(at)webworm.co.uk

Milton

Are you not both going to be at The Mill tonight?
    Enjoy your caching!

I don't know about moote but I'm definatly going to be there :P, give us a chance to have a chin wag about things.

Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by Mancunian@Jan 24 2006, 12:29 PM
    Unfortunately the Domain Name for geocaching.org.uk is up for renewal in 3 weeks time.
    Actually, it's not the domain name that's up for renewal (that belongs to Rob, and comes up in August)... so I'm guessing you're meaning its the web hosting that needs renewing.

Anyway, I'd love to help, but I already have a negative number of free hours per week :-(

Paul

Thanks for correcting me Paul , now you see why I'm no Tekkie :lol:. I'm just the mouth piece for the site, even though I stick my foot in my mouth all the time! :P

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

THE BRAMBLERS Guest

Rob did send you an email a couple of days ago about this, and said that he will be renewing the domain name when it's due, so no need to worry about that.

I've just read Robs email (teach me to check all my accounts more often :unsure. Paul was right the mouthpiece (me) had things the wrong way round. It's the Hosting which is up for renewal. Roy did not want to renew it if the site was not going to progress forward. Hence the request for volunters. I don't mind sticking my hand in my pocket or making a ejit of myself for the site. But unfortunatly as has been seen, I aint got any tekkie skills, so can't help out on that side of things.

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl

Wood Smoke Guest

I'm quite happy to renew the hosting as long as we can see it's gonna be going somewhere.

As I said on GUK, I don't have the time now to do the coding..........a year ago when it all started I was retired............now I'm working full time again..........

Yours Roy
    WoodSmoke

Lakeuk Guest

First I've heard of the site as well - Might be a idea to do a short list of what sort of content you'd like to see on the site, may give someone an indication on how much work would be involved and the skills needed (hobby, intermedate, expert)

If the domain is up in August then I assume the site has been going at least 6mths, I think it may be best to think of another way of presenting a useful site to UK geocachers which is easy to setup and maintain

If you want to keep the domain going and want some sort of content on attract people to the site then I'd recommend having a Wiki based site.

A wiki is a type of website that allows users to easily add and edit content and is especially suited for collaborative writing, no html skills are needed and the site is constantly evolving by the readers. Look at the main Wikipedia site for Geocaching and you'll see it's constantly being updated by it's readers. We could have one for caching in the UK.

Another good Wiki caching example, set over multiple pages - Cacheopedia

All that is need is for the free wiki software to be installed

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Lakeuk what we're attempting to set up is a listing site specifically for UK geocachers, one which is owned and run by the UK geocaching community. Ian (Teasel) very kindly has allowed us our own discussion area on G:UK which can be found Here . Currently we are looking for someone or a group with the appropriate skills to write the actual Database for the site. We are not trying to replace GC, but to provide the UK community somewhere were caches that have been properly reviewed and meet all the guidelines can't simply be removed without the cache owner being notified before hand. As Happened 12 months ago over the UK Tsunami cache. GC is owned by one person who has the final say over things, geocaching.org.ukwill be owned by the community, so empowering the community with the final say.

Dave

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl