Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Slightly confused, but nothing unusual bout that..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    shettie Guest

Just found out about this today... Looks interesting! Have had a GPS (magellan) for a few years - used it on the hills (in the UK) looking at your co-ords you put them down as "GCT3R9" for example - what format is this? I was expecting lat long or OSGB...

Welcome to geocaching, shettie!

I assume you're looking at cache listings on www.geocaching.com. The code you give, GCT3R9, is known as the waypoint id. It's a unique identifier for that particular cache. The co-ordinates are at the top of the page, in latitude and longitude, using WGS84 map datum. So that cache, Scaffold Lane, is at N 53° 08.146 W 000° 44.566, and you need to set your Magellan to WGS84.

That cache is a traditional one, in other words there's a single container hidden at that spot. Some are multi-caches, where there are several stages to find before the final container, some are unknown or mystery caches, where you have to solve problems to work out the final co-ordinates, and so on. But the co-ordinates are always in lat and long, using WGS84.

I hope that answers your question. Do post again if you need any further help.

Happy caching!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

shettie Guest

Feel a bit of a wally now... Just after I placed the post - I found the "register" button" and Lo!... I now can see the osgb and lat long... Where do I find the blushing smiley?... Thanks for the reply though - I intend doing one tomorrow lunch, just up the road from where I work, have to take my wellies Looking forward to this!

shettie wrote:
    Feel a bit of a wally now... Just after I placed the post - I found the "register" button" and Lo!... I now can see the osgb and lat long...
    Well, I overlooked something too! I forgot that you can't now see the co-ords unless you're registered - that's a fairly recent change.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

dckrsn Guest

Checking in from the US.

I noticed the log in for coords also.
    My guess is, it is to encourage registration.
    Good idea I guess.
    The premium membership is an even better one.
    Well worth the extra rupees.

Have fun,
    -dckrsn---