Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: PMR Radios

SSC&B Guest

Although it may appear that I'm quite new to this, I've been registered a few months. I have a boat in Norfolk so I'm often pottering about round there with my GPS (I actually bought it initially because my speedo is broken on the boat)

Anyway, question is, does anyone else (apart from me) use PMRs?

According to the Geocaching.com site, the European channel is 2 but I've yet to hear anyone on this (even though I've bumped into Geocachers).

Does anyone else use these? They're very cheap (I bought 4 for around a tenner in Argos) and when I was in Disney World, Florida last year, the channels were flooded!

Some of us do use PMR radios especially when we are getting together at or after a geocaching event. In the North West we usually use channel 3-33.
    Enjoy your caching!

FollowMeChaps Guest

Sorry, but what's a PMR?

Originally posted by FollowMeChaps@Feb 25 2006, 05:38 PM
    Sorry, but what's a PMR?
    Public Mobile Radio. In handheld form this is better known as a walkie-talkie, for public use without a licence.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

FollowMeChaps Guest

Thanks Dave. I'm interested - especially with your saying for around a tenner!

My wife is in a wheeelchair, which rather limits my caching, so I am interested in anythging which allows me to wander off a biy but stay in touch. I had thought of getting some a little while ago but having surfed Ebay I was put off by the confusion as to what's legal and what's not. Can you offer any advice as to what's got the best range for the best price but stays within the law (if that's important)?

Robin aka FollowMeChaps

Robin, I'm not an expert on these and no doubt one will be along soon!

I've bought two for a tenner for the kids in an outlet shop but like everything, you'll get what you pay for in terms of range and quality. There is no squelch control on my cheap units (ability to eliminate background hiss until a more powerful signal comes along). The range barely goes from one end of the house to the other.

Different countries have allocated different frequencies for public use. Anything bought in shops in the UK should be clearly marked (you should be legal buying from a reputable retailer) but like everything else on ebay you either have to know your stuff or take pot luck.

(Edited for spelling)

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

SSC&B Guest

Argos had some challenge ones a while back - 4 for £15 - These appear to work OK.

Out of interest, why Channel 3 - 33?

Originally posted by SSC&B@Feb 26 2006, 12:57 PM
    Out of interest, why Channel 3 - 33?
    Don't know - it just happened that two of us had coincidentally already set our instruments to that and so the others did the same.
    I use a pair of BT sets with rechargable batteries which also tune FM radio so dual purpose. As has been said you get what you pay for and the better sets do have better range. Even so in a suburban situation mine struggle over 1/4 mile. In open country much better.
    Very handy when out in two cars with the family to check on which way we are going or when the children need a comfort stop.
    Enjoy your caching!