Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: eMail Spam to GAGB unique address.

roberts-tribe Guest

I've just received an item of spam to my unique GAGB email address. The sender purported to be notifying me of the expiry of 'my' eGold.com subscription.

I've never heard of eGold before and I would never have registered with my GAGB unique adress anyway.

Anyone else?

Jiffy Guest

Me too!

SOMEONE'S BEEN HACKED! :angry:

And me - but then phishing messages like this are usually easily seen through.
    Can't be too careful though.
    Enjoy your caching!

wizard1974uk Guest

Someone hasn't neccessarily been hacked, you must have unwisely posted your email address somewhere and an email harvester has picked it up.

Another way, the sender has randomly generated a whole load of email addresses and has happened to pick one that exists.

roberts-tribe Guest

Got another one today, this time a 'HSBC' phishing scam.

To the earlier comment about generators and harvesting. This is NOT possible. The domain of this particular address is sufficiently unique to be an unrealistic choice for generators as it is essentially a random mix of alphanumerics. The 'user' element also. i.e. the generator would have had to generate the unusual GAGB unique 'user' part . The other alternative is that the spammer somehow knows that a user of that domain is a geocacher who has got a GAGB account. VERY unlikely. Finally, that address is unique to this site. Everything I do with email addresses online has a unique email address. This is so I can track spam precisely and find out who has sold or disclosed my details. I can absolutely guarantee that the ONLY record of this email address is on this forum. Apart from the odd email kicking about in my outlook archive ( stored on a server ), there is nowhere that this address could have been harvested.

Originally posted by roberts-tribe@Apr 28 2006, 04:57 PM
    Got another one today, this time a 'HSBC' phishing scam.
    I got this one too. My email is also unique for this site and has never been used anywhere else. Presumably the people that sent this have the whole of the GAGB database. Please can someone seriously look into this and take measures so that any future email address I and others use for this site is not accessible to these spammers.

Gary

Hmm. This is rather worrying. I've had several "HSBC" phishing attempts in the last few days myself, but I don't use a unique address for GAGB so I don't know whether any came via my address from here or not. But obviously that's happening for some people.

I've asked Teasel (our webmaster) to take a look and try to sort this.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

nobbynobbs Guest

count me in as another hsbc phishing receiver!!!

and me

Also had the HSBC email, sent to a differant email that I set up before starting as KandG, not had an HSBC email to the KandG email address though...

The email address id not caching specific though.

G
    <_<
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Also had it delivered to the email used for KandG -but it was in the spam folder&#33; :lol:
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas