Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Permission from The Woodland Trust

Default Permission from The Woodland Trust

I'm pleased to announce the agreement with the Woodland Trust who have kindly agreed this process and application for geocaches on their 1,000+ woodland sites across the UK. Thanks to the Woodland Trust for putting this in place.

1. Identify the Woods where you would like to place your geocache
    on the Woodland Trust website here.

2. Visit the site to identify a suitable hiding place (in line with GAGB guidelines here.) and take GPS coords (normal WGS84 coordinates).

3. Whilst at the cache location, also take the OS grid reference on your GPS (change the settings to "British Grid" to take a 2 letter, 10 number reference). Don't forget to change your GPS back to WGS84 geocaching reference afterwards.

4. You can prepare the cache page on geocaching.com now. This will give you a GCXXXX waypoint, but don't forget to untick the "Yes, this listing is active" option to prevent the Reviewers from seeing it at this point.

5. Download the application form here, complete and forward as described.

6. Wait for Woodland Trust approval or contact to discuss your cache location further.

7. After Woodland Trust approval then place your cache. Then enable your cache on geocaching.com and forward a copy of the approval to both UK Approvers listed on the form.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Fuchsiamagic Guest

I used the above procedure to apply over 3 months ago, but I have heard nothing since...

The responsibility for managing cache requests changed in the middle of May from Eric Porter to Sandra Coleman. I suggest you resend your request to Sandra.

Caching since 2001
    Committee (2003-2013)
    GAGB Friend

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post

It will be a few years before you can use the clue 'in root of tree'
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

keehotee Guest

Yeah - perfect opportunity for somebody to tie lots of sneaky micros to the tops of teeny saplings though - then hold off publishing for a couple of years........ mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    Yeah - perfect opportunity for somebody to tie lots of sneaky micros to the tops of teeny saplings though - then hold off publishing for a couple of years........ mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    And of course by the time you publish them they'll be 5 stars as you'll need a ladder to reach them, lol...!

But seriously, I think 800 acres of continuous broadleaf native forest is a marvellous idea, and I hope it goes ahead as planned!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

anyone care to calculate how caches an 800 acre wood could support ??
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

ISCADUM Guest

81, if you leave a 1/10 mile border around the outside to allow other caches up to the edge of the woods.

Wow that would make a hell of a series - although the effect of the number of cachers searching for such a series would not be very environmental freindly.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

Default Woodland Trust - new contact

I've just received this email following a request I put into the Woodland Trust a few weeks ago:

"I would like to apologise for the delay in response to your geocache request. Sandra Coleman is out of the office until further notice due to ill health. For future reference, I will be administrator for the scheme and responsible for actioning any requests.

Thank you for your patience

Warm Regards,

Shay Harrison
    Woodland Operations Administrator

shayharrison@woodlandtrust.org.uk"

Quote Originally Posted by Chilihouse View Post
    I've just received this email following a request I put into the Woodland Trust a few weeks ago:

"I would like to apologise for the delay in response to your geocache request. Sandra Coleman is out of the office until further notice due to ill health. For future reference, I will be administrator for the scheme and responsible for actioning any requests.

Thank you for your patience

Warm Regards,

Shay Harrison
    Woodland Operations Administrator

shayharrison@woodlandtrust.org.uk"
    Thanks for this. Now we've got edit capability back for the database, I've updated the details.

Caching since 2001
    Committee (2003-2013)
    GAGB Friend

Well what can I say - the system works and very well I must say. Downloaded form, emailed to Sandra on the 14th Mar, reply received with one question to be answered 17th Mar. Reply sent an before you could blink an eye that highly efficent reviewer (Deceangi) had published the cache - outstanding. Mind you the cache was still sat on my desk so I had to nip out and hide it sharpesh . Thanks for all your hard work in setting this process up.

Al (It's got to be here somewhere!) Smith

.....When you want to test the depths of a stream, don't use both feet. - Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Al & Tracy Smith View Post
    Well what can I say - the system works and very well I must say. Downloaded form, emailed to Sandra on the 14th Mar, reply received with one question to be answered 17th Mar. Reply sent an before you could blink an eye that highly efficent reviewer (Deceangi) had published the cache - outstanding. Mind you the cache was still sat on my desk so I had to nip out and hide it sharpesh . Thanks for all your hard work in setting this process up.
    It's good to hear that it's all working so well - thanks for telling us!

I was just looking at the application form for applying for permission to place a cache on a Woodland Trust site: You have to download it from their site:
    here.

It might be a good idea if someone 'official' could contact them and ask them to update their application form with the names of the current 4 UK reviewers shown at Step 3 on the form.

Thanks for pointing that out, Mrs B. I'll contact them with the up-to-date details.

I'm the recipient of the emails with the Permission Forms, this was done as the forester is supposed to send copies to Cache Owner, Sandra at WT HQ and the Reviewers. As it's hit and miss about cache owners being copied, also getting Dave and Peters contact details removed off the form was a pita. I left it at that and forward copies of Permission forms to the cache owner and relevant reviewer.

I've just checked the latest forms to be returned by a forester and the only email addresses shown are deceangi@googlemail.com and to shayharrison@woodlandtrust.org.uk

Sorry I'd forgotten Sharon was on maternity leave at one point, and they've never changed the recipient back again. The completed forms filled in by the Cache Owner are sent directly to the WT and received by Sandra. Who forwards them to the appropriate Forester for a decision. Who then follows the above, sometimes missing out the cache owner.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Deci's quite right - the form was changed, and there's a link to the correct one which goes to Deci in the original post in this thread.

Mrs B, if you let me know where you found the link you posted above I'll get it changed or removed. Thanks.

Definitely a good idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Deci's quite right - the form was changed, and there's a link to the correct one which goes to Deci in the original post in this thread.

Mrs B, if you let me know where you found the link you posted above I'll get it changed or removed. Thanks.

Ahhhh... OK...
    I went from the first post on this thread, followed the link to the WT site, then did a search there for "geocaching" and it brought up this

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/a...eocaching.aspx

At the bottom is their own link to d/l the application form for permission and that has the out of date details at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Ahhhh... OK...
    I went from the first post on this thread, followed the link to the WT site, then did a search there for "geocaching" and it brought up this

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/a...eocaching.aspx

At the bottom is their own link to d/l the application form for permission and that has the out of date details at the bottom.
    Thanks, Mrs B...

Oh, dear, this is a little problematic for reasons that I don't want to go into...

Our end of things is fine, and indeed last night I did a bit of tidying up of our own links to avoid any confusion in the future.

I'm working on it...

LOL

Oh dear... I don't wish to cause you "problematical things"

I'll make sure I get the correct, updated form when I get round to asking for the permission.

pennine rambler Guest

Default .

A representative of the Woodland Trust has sent me the following link to the latest application Form http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/do...wt_appform.pdf I hope this helps other members
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 5th May 2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Approved link and moved post to this thread