Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Back to work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    marinor Guest

Hi folks, just a quick line to let you know I am off back to sea at the end of this week, I play at Chief Engineer on VLCC's (ship is 'Al Salheia&#39. I should be home towards the end of November. Good luck with GAGB

Stay safe
    all the best
    Bill

Omally Guest

Good luck Marinor! Hope to bump into you some time soon.
    Hope the RNLI never need to come out to rescue you...

washboy Guest

Good Luck & Bon Voyage, Marinor!

BTW, what's a VLCC?

Very Large Container Carrier ??

A quick search reveals that the 'Al Salheia' is an oil tanker operated by Kuwait Oil Tanker Co. (S.A.K.).
    It was built in Korea by Hyundai Heavy Industries in 1998 at a cost of $90million. It's 334.5 metres long, has a 58 metre beam and has a DWT of 310453 tonnes (not too sure what that actually means). The engines produce 27,165kW.
    If you want to talk to it, the call sign is 9KLR !!!!

That's a lot of ship, Marinor. Look after it and have a safe voyage.

Edit.... (Just in case anyone is interested) A brief call to my kid bro who is a marine insurance underwriter at Lloyds and I can reveal that the tanker has just left Singapore and is bound for Fujairah in the Gulf of Arabia.

John
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Found the cache, took a few barrels of oil, left a Mc Toy, filled in ships log. :lol:

Good luck Marinor, let us know when you're back.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

marinor Guest

Nice work Pharisee , dwt is the amount of cargo she can carry, 310,000 tonnes of crude oil, Very Large Crude Carrier = VLCC.
    I am joining the vessel at Fujairah (fly to Dubai tomorrow), then we toddle off to Kuwait to load.
    We have a sat TV system and a satcom system but at &#036;3/min for a 9600 bps connection I will not be online until I return.
    It has been fun joining in this hobby and meeting such nice people both online and face to face, can&#39;t wait until I get back on leave
    I have taken details of one or fifty caches in other countries we may get to so I have my fingers crossed I can haul in a couple

Thanks for all the good wishes, back in four months or so

all the best
    Bill

If Marinor has found any bears in his caching activities, and he&#39;s taking them with him, let&#39;s hope he has life jackets for them&#33; Good luck Marinor, hope the weather is kind.