Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Mid-Hampshire Observer

Kouros Guest

A quick heads up for the people in Hants who haven't seen it, and the many who live outside the area who have no access to it...

... The Mid-Hants Observer has posted an article about caching (with particular reference to the 19th July Cache Bash).

You can read the article here: http://www.hantsmedia.co.uk/archive_july03.html#cache

THE BRAMBLERS Guest

Just to let everyone know that the content of this article was nothing to do with HCC. We think that must be pretty obvious, because the facts are way off the mark.

They didn't seem to get alot, if anything, right with this one. :huh:

Kouros Guest

Sorry, but yeah, I have to agree with the Bramblers. I only pointed it out, as I thought it was another nice indicator of how news of the HCC bash had been spread. If I were to be completely honest, I hadn't even read the article through in its entireity. Instead, I had merely noted that it wasn't derogatory, and that no-one else had mentioned it. Perhaps in retrospect, I shouldn't have brought it up either.

Actually, the more I read of the newspaper, the more I have to agree with the suggestion of its pretty lousy journalistic merit, in pretty much any article it publishes.

Shame, really.

Omally Guest

Hmmmm. Not the best article I've ever read.
    Hope it doesn&#39;t have a derogatory effect on the event, especially the comments about cache contents... very unprofessional, that. <_<

Paul G0TLG Guest

Well, it didn&#39;t show caching in a bad light...and I guess anyone who reads that paper will already be used to the dreadful writing style&#33; I think the fact that they can&#39;t even be bothered to spell "Garmin" correctly (when the company UK HQ is well within their readership area) says it all.

Still, who knows, we may even get some converts from it&#33;

This is the kind of aricle that Geocaching does not want. Sounds as though someone spoke to a reporter and then the reporter made it all up. And as for the bit about heroin, what type of people do they think we are.
    Articles like this is going to do the sport no good at all.

I understand that complaints have been made in the right place.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

Omally Guest

Originally posted by Tim and June@Jul 10 2003, 06:09 PM
    I understand that complaints have been made in the right place.
    Does that mean the editor is going to wake up with a horses head? :P

DeeTeeDee Guest

I think my 6 year old son could have done better - not sure if he could spell Garmin though, we use a Magellan

Motley Crew Guest

A great example of poorly researched and written journalism : .