Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Member Classification

civilised Guest

I'm puzzled as to the class of member shown under each login name.

Tim & June are shown as Founder Members - which is obvious.

Moote and Mongoose39uk are shown as Committee Members - obvious again.

Mancunian and I are shown as Members - obvious again - but why is Third Degree Witch a Member ( non-voting) ?

This is out of interest - not being contentious

civilised

Simple really.

One of the comittee needs to click the button to make Jon (TDW) voting.

civilised Guest

Originally posted by Mongoose39uk@Apr 26 2006, 05:12 PM
    Simple really.

One of the comittee needs to click the button to make Jon (TDW) voting.
    Thanks for that.

civilised

Teasel and I are working on a new system (well, he's working and I'm just suggesting) and we hope to have a more realistic set-up in place soon, where new members will automatically be made voting members after a given period. We should have some news about this soon.

The delay in doing this is due to discussion about the finer points, not due to actually writing and implementing the system. The reason the existing system was instigated was to try to avoid sock puppet sign-ups prior to an election, and we still want to avoid that. We also believe that there's a lot of dead wood amongst the existing membership list, and we'd like to weed that out automatically too. By dead wood I mean people who've signed up, but then never gone caching and are no longer interested, and people from other countries who've signed up just to make a one-off post in the forums, and so on.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

nobbynobbs Guest

some sort of sytem of auto email and if no reply the user is deleted? or even simpler if not logged on in 12 months then cheerio!!!

harsh but simple.

MCL Guest

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 27 2006, 04:40 AM
    some sort of sytem of auto email and if no reply the user is deleted? or even simpler if not logged on in 12 months then cheerio!!!

harsh but simple.
    Absolutely right Nobby, Harsh but Simple.

Now, we like simple, but do we really like harsh?

nobbynobbs Guest

well ok harsh not good but nothing to stop them coming back and re registering is there? but if they've not been here for 12 months.....

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 27 2006, 03:40 AM

harsh but simple.
    Email like that gets caught in spam traps - and some of us only log in when we have something important to say.

Learned Gerbil wrote:
    Email like that gets caught in spam traps - and some of us only log in when we have something important to say.
    Indeed, yes. With every mass mailing we've done, the response has been poor. Many of the emails will have been caught in spam traps, and there are also always a lot of auto replies from spam checking services, which then have to be dealt with manually. And of course people change their email addresses but don't enter the new one with GAGB.

I'm sure many people do only log in when they want to post, and that makes any method of auto-deleting redundant accounts unreliable. So we're still discussing how best to go about things...
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

nobbynobbs Guest

Originally posted by Learned Gerbil+May 2 2006, 12:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Learned Gerbil @ May 2 2006, 12:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nobbynobbs@Apr 27 2006, 03:40 AM
    some sort of sytem of auto email and if no reply the user is deleted? or even simpler if not logged on in 12 months then cheerio&#33;&#33;&#33;

harsh but simple.
    Email like that gets caught in spam traps - and some of us only log in when we have something important to say. [/b][/quote]
    so some of us post more and every now and then something i say might be worth reading... has to happen eventually i suppose.

but who said anything about the person needing to post a comment to stay on here?

i said log on...... or is it that some people only come here when they have something important to say but couldn&#39;t care if anyone else might have anything important to say so don&#39;t log on otherwise?

i can see the spam filter problem. maybe a release of info via the other forums and sites and word of mouth with a cut off date of for instance 1st september. then anyone not logged on in previous 12 months gets editted?

I only come here rarely and only tend to log in if I have something to say, I&#39;d certiany not be happy to have my account delelted though&#33;

This is probably only the third time I have logged on since joining two and a half years ago. I don&#39;t have to log in to post so don&#39;t log to read.

boggis Guest

i just joined how often to i have to keep loggin on

Welcome boggis you don&#39;t need to worry about logging on. It&#39;s just a discussion about keeping the membership list up to date. Though I&#39;d pop in every so often just to see whats going on, posts are like buses in here. Non for ages then 6 turn up

Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Originally posted by rutson@May 13 2006, 10:38 AM
    I only come here rarely and only tend to log in if I have something to say, I&#39;d certiany not be happy to have my account delelted though&#33;
    I&#39;ll keep mine, but not bothered if you delete Rutson.
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

Cave Troll &amp; Joan Guest

Originally posted by Muggle@May 25 2006, 02:56 PM
    I&#39;ll keep mine, but not bothered if you delete Rutson.
    ROFL :P