Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Australian GeoCoin release

Grank Guest

g'day

That’s the way I’m supposed to start from Aus, eh?

Some of you may be aware that the first Australian geocoins are about to be issued. Unlike some places, we treat our geocoins like TBs and expect them to travel and not be snaffled by “collectors”. I understand that you have similar values (we get the odd guest sign in to our forums on geocaching.com.au about this topic).

I should receive my geocoins in the next few weeks and would like to send some on tour “up north”.

I would appreciate a volunteer to whom I could send these coins and request that they drop them off in a cache to start their journey.

Any takers?

PS promise no snakes or spiders :lol:

Ive released a few for the coin club and have a TB hotel near to where i work i could drop one off in pluss some others.
    Mark in the Midlands
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Grank Guest

Thanks markandlynn.

I don't mind if they're dumped in one location or spread around to start their journey. Any assistance is appreciated.

Please let me know the postal address (PM or here, whichever you prefer) and I will get cracking on preparing them - I figure it will be about mid to late March when you will receive them. I'll keep you posted as to progress.

Cheers,

Grank.

nobbynobbs Guest

if you want any other cachers to forward tehm on the email me and i'll oblige.

nobbynobbs Guest

i would have emailed or pm but the system wont let me? something i'm doing wrong or is there a problem with my account?

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Feb 15 2006, 07:40 AM
    i would have emailed or pm but the system wont let me? something i'm doing wrong or is there a problem with my account?
    Same here
    email me on
    mark dot davis at culinalogistics dot co dot uk
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Grank Guest

grank_bernlio AT msn DOT com

I am also Grank on geocaching.com and geocaching.com.au

Each will have an engraved "instruction" disk attached with a very simple goal (e.g. TOUR UK, TOUR SCANDINAVIA, etc). I am quite happy for them to start in any cache in GB as they will find their way to their final "TOUR" goal.

I have the disks, the coins are paid for and we are just waiting for the 1st consignment of coins to reach Aus.

BTW if anyone wants to have coins set free over here feel free to PM me. I have a small underground railway happening from the US as a guy there doesn't like the idea of the coins he buys being "snaffled". I read your "code” and we are of the same opinion here - trackables being "collected" is the same as stealing.

Grank Guest

Emails flying ....

OK. There are 7 I want to release; they are

TOUR UK

TOUR IRELAND

TOUR SCANDINAVIA

TOUR EUROPE

GOTO "SUBURBAN" GCT2J1 AUSTRALIA

TOUR AUSTRALIA

TOUR NEW ZEALAND

The first five I would like to post to GB. The last two I planned to release in Sydney Aus, But if the timing is right I may send them via the UK.

I will release each at my cache "SUBURBAN" GCT2J1 and then post to GB.

Kitty Hawk has offered to take:-
    TOUR UK
    TOUR NEW ZEALAND (dependent on timing)
    and has offered to take any others that I can't offload.

Grank Guest

Originally posted by markandlynn@Feb 15 2006, 08:56 AM
    email me on
    mark dot davis at culinalogistics dot co dot uk
    done B)

nobbynobbs wrote:
    Email using the buttons at the bottom of posts should be working. PM was turned off for some reason - I've turned it on.

If anyone still finds that they can't PM or email through GAGB please post here or email committee AT gagb DOT org DOT uk and I'll have another look.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Great stuff glad to help out coins and white jeeps seem to last in the UK unlike the USA for some reason......

Grank Guest

Originally posted by markandlynn@Feb 15 2006, 02:05 PM
    Great stuff glad to help out coins and white jeeps seem to last in the UK unlike the USA for some reason......
    ah, the white jeeps.

I was at an event in Aus where the event organiser had received a parcel from the US containing some white jeeps and some yellow jeeps.

There are competitions with these run by Jeep and they require you to take your photo with the Jeep, submit the photo along with the tracking number (as confirmation of the find) to Jeep. At then end of the competition a lucky winner gets a Jeep. Only US citizens can enter.

Now how would you play that game? If I were interested would be madly trying to find jeeps and log as many as I could.

Apparently this may be "fair" game play, but the way some players choose to play is to find the Jeep and "hide" it (very remote cache, no place log; leave in a draw; drop it log, but don't leave the Jeep; etc) for most of the year and then "replace" it near the end of the game so it is back in play. In this way you increase your chances by reducing the competition. Similar to GEOcoins, last years competion items tend to be “collected” rather than continue their travels.

The guy from the US had sent the parcel to Aus (with a detailed PM) as he reckoned that they were TBs and should travel, not end up in a private collection somewhere.

Grank Guest

Thanks markandlynn, nobbynobbs, and Kitty Hawk

All accounted for

They'll be on the way real soon.

Grank

Grank Guest

Quick update:

We just received an update from our member who is organising the Aus geocoins.

He has just received the tracking numbers from Groundspeak so thinks it won't be until mid to late March before the coins arrive.

Grank Guest

They're here!

I went bush for the last week or so and wouldn't you know it, the organiser PMed me to confirm my postal address the day after I left AWOL so my coins have been on hold for over a week and Aussie geocoins are already out there.

I'll get mine next week and send them over then ...

nobbynobbs Guest

looking forward to doing the honours, that's if i can prise one out of kittyhawks hand! :lol:

Grank Guest

The GEOcoins are in the mail!

Three parcels are being dispatched; one each to parkmoy, Kitty Hawk (and nobbybobs), and markandlynn.

BTW - I have included an unactivated coin in each packet for you to do with what you want. Only 600 were minted and they are the 1st EVER Aussie coins. Enjoy!

If I can ever return the favour downunder, just ask.

Thanks

Grank.

nobbynobbs Guest

you mean i'm going to have to lie in wait for kittyhawks postman so i can mug him and get that unactivated one!!! :lol:

can't wait. i know a new cache or two that will benefit from this.

Kitty Hawk Guest

Schhh, they've arrived

Originally posted by Kitty Hawk@May 10 2006, 06:24 PM
    Schhh, they've arrived
    SHHHHHHHH ive got one too