Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Changes to Bylaws

Rebble Guest

John Stead on Groundspeak suggested I post my concerns here

Please check this link to the Defra website relating to consulatation excercise concerning changes to bylaws and recreation uses

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...eation-byelaws/

John said he would surprised if GAGB were not aware

It's in "Analysis of Responses" page 8 section 37 and page 12 section 57 "New Issues Suggested" 3rd bullet point in section.

If you want to see the whole consultation excercise see http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/co...ation-byelaws/

37. One respondent thought that the wording for certain activities was not sufficiently broad, giving the example of some airborne activities. It was also noted that there was nothing relating to recently developed activities such as geocaching.
    New issues suggested
    57. Five respondents raised seven additional issues which they believed warranted new clauses.
    • Prevention of damage to ancient monuments and to trees
    • Trespass
    • The control of hot air ballooning, especially where nuisance occurs
    Geocaching
    • Ban on alcohol consumption apart from barbecue areas
    • The carrying of guns

Sorry if you know of this but if not forwarned is fore armed

Forewarned is indeed forearmed! I think there might be an element here of one hand not knowing what the other is doing, though. At least one government department (I can't immediately remember which and I don't have time to search right now) has actively promoted geocaching. Many councils are actively in favour of caching too.

I'm not too concerned at the moment, but it is certainly something worth watching.

Bill
    (Chairman, GAGB)
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

nobbynobbs Guest

most government dictats recently have been to encourage more use of the countryside if done reasonably so hopefully that will take precedence over any other worries or new restriction ideas.

I would have thought that as you have to have the owners permission to set caches that would override the need for the byelaw.

moote01 Guest

Originally posted by The Wobbly Club@May 22 2006, 02:36 PM
    I would have thought that as you have to have the owners permission to set caches that would override the need for the byelaw.
    Some land is protected via statute, and might reqire permission for activities to take place, SSSI and SAM are two, where a 3rd party permission might be required.

moote01 wrote:
    Some land is protected via statute, and might reqire permission for activities to take place, SSSI and SAM are two, where a 3rd party permission might be required.
    Yes, indeed. It seems to me that the complications of getting permission for caches are, like Topsy, growing and growing...

But at least in the UK there is, I think, a growing awareness amongst cachers that getting the relevant permission and meeting all appropriate requirements is in the interests of us all.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​