Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Forestry Comission Cache Permit

the hole-in-the-wall gang Guest

A while ago I contacted the FC to obtain permission to place a cache in some woods near me (Collingbourne wood near ludgershall) and was told that the woods were administered by the Forest of Dean office.

I was pleased to see that an agreement had been made with that office to place caches with a permit system. I contacted them about 4 weeks ago and got a reply 2 weeks later requesting the proposed co-ords and they told me that they would get back to me. Can anyone else comment on the time that it took for the Forest of Dean to grant a permit ?

I guess that as it is a wood that has no previous caches, it might take a bit longer ?

I've no experience of the FC in the Forest of Dean, but I'm GAGB's liaison with the FC in Dorset. I submit proposed caches to them on behalf of cachers wishing to place there. I do that by email, and it generally takes three or four days to get either an outright approval or any queries about the cache.

Edit: I'm a little surprised that Collingbourne comes under the Forest of Dean!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Sounds like, each area is likely to have it's own rules of engagement. I should probably give them a ring and see how it is progressing.

I was also quite suprise that Collingbourne woods were administered from FOD but they were quite clear on that. I origonally approached the Savernake/Marlborough office who are the nearest but they put me onto the FOD.

If you think that it would be better handled by someone like yourself Bill who is known to them then feel free to make that suggestion.

Cheers, John

Hi Guys, I have made contact with the FoD FC area and have been trying to get into negotiation for a generic permission. Unfortunately they haven't been very responsive to date. I'll mail you direct with their contact details so that you can pursue your specific cache with them.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help.

Best of luck, John! Let us know how you get on.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

We have placed 3 caches in FC woodland in the Wye Valley, not that far from the F of D. For each cache we have contacted the FC Area Manager for that particular piece of woodland, taking the contact info from the notice boards at the carpark. After going through the usual explanations of geocaching, both managers were quite happy to allow the placement, in principle. Once the cache was placed we sent through full details of the cache page, along with maps showing the exact location. No problems!
    MrsB