Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: We are loosing our way!

Who has heard of the NERCA Bill or The Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006.

This has basically closed all byways to motorised vehicles. Boo Hoo.

So your 4 x 4 green lane cache is now out of bounds unless it is on a BOAT. The usuall gut reaction to a problem brought about by illegal laneing, trails bikes ripping up the footpath etc.

What hacks me off is the legitimate laners will adhear to the law, and the ones who caused the problem will carry on regardless.. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Some info from the LARA website

Moss T
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

the hole-in-the-wall gang Guest

Having tried to cycle or walk along green lanes where 4WD vehicles have turned it into a quagmire I can't help feeling that NERC is a good move. However, at the same time it seems a shame that yet again, the many responsible users have had things spoilt by the few irresponsible ones. My observations are that most of the users I have encountered seemed to be fairly fanitical types who were happy with the deep ruts and churned up mud

The green lanes are impossible to police, however they could be restricted with a barrier to stop leisure 4WD users whilst allowing lighter users free access.

I do see your point about the suggestion that those users who have caused the problem are most likely those who will flout the law anyway <_<

Third-Degree-Witch Guest

i think the banning of 4x4&#39;s is a great move myself.

MMattyK Guest

Generally speaking, I think this is a sad move, BUT, I think you can see whay it has happened in certain places.... If the 4x4 community actually contributed to repairing the damage that &#39;they&#39; caused, perhaps it wouldn&#39;t have come to this.

In my part of the UK, the Ridgeway, in certain places, is in a terrible state, but whether that is down to 4x4 use or agricultural vehicle use I don&#39;t know.

Having said that, the 4x4 and motorcycle users I have come across in the past have in the majority of cases been curteous when they came across horses or walkers using the lanes...

Originally posted by MMattyK@Jun 14 2006, 01:21 PM
    If the 4x4 community actually contributed to repairing the damage that &#39;they&#39; caused, perhaps it wouldn&#39;t have come to this.

Actually the 4 x 4 community do quite a lot of repair work on green lanes. The problem being the ones who have made the biggest fuss have been very selective in what they say and where the problems occur for maximum impact.

I will admit that most of the problem seems to have arrisen from people ripping up the byways on 2 wheels rather than 4.

I ride my quad up in the Cheviots, this being accepted a lot more than trail bikes. And as these ole bones aint up to a bumpy ride I can take in the views, bit of bird watchin and chats to the farmers and shepherds up there. They do hate motorbikes.

Couple points before I wind me neck in MPV are Mechanically propelled vehicles, these do include electric bush bikes, electric disabled chairs. One of the points is that if a RUPP (Road used as a Pulic Path is metalled, it is still out of bounds to MPV. So how many folks as from 2nd May 2006 have no legal right to drive to there property???????

Moss T
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

Kitty Hawk Guest

In general I think this is a shame, but inevitable.

Still, it&#39;s done now - this explains why there are very new &#39;hurdles&#39; out on some of the brideways on the south downs.

It may also save me falling off my mountain bike at 25mph when I get stuck in the ruts left by 4wd

Originally posted by Kitty Hawk@Jun 14 2006, 02:48 PM
    It may also save me falling off my mountain bike at 25mph when I get stuck in the ruts left by 4wd
    I know the feeling.. Toodling along at 15 - 20.. Quad bellies out.. an stops.. I keep going.. But I didnt come of.. Nooo too good fer that... Shoulder hit wing mirror, it spun round on its arm and smacked me in face instead :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

Paul G0TLG Guest

Originally posted by Moss Trooper+Jun 14 2006, 02:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Moss Trooper @ Jun 14 2006, 02:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMattyK@Jun 14 2006, 01:21 PM
    If the 4x4 community actually contributed to repairing the damage that &#39;they&#39; caused, perhaps it wouldn&#39;t have come to this.

Actually the 4 x 4 community do quite a lot of repair work on green lanes. [/b][/quote]
    Moss T is right - the 4x4 club I belong to has an arrangement where once a month, we all gather and do maintenance on a green lane, in agreement with the highways officer of the county council: We spend the day clearing/repairing/whatever is needed-ing the lane (location and work needed determined by the Highways chap), and as a reward get to drive it at the end . Any activities that might be harmful to the ground we drive on are reserved for arranged club activities on private land with the landowner&#39;s permission.

I freely acknowledge that there&#39;s a minority of selfish, careless 4x4 owners who do do damage, but like many areas of life, the responsible majority are being punished for the actions of the few - most of whom, as has already been said, will ignore the new law and carry on as before.

the hole-in-the-wall gang Guest

I wasn&#39;t aware that some 4WD drivers went so far as actually repairing the green lanes. Very commendable.

Having walked down the odd green lane the majority of the damage to tracks appears to be from quads and trail motorcycles.
    While conventional barriers will stop the larger vehicles i feel that they will be no barrier whatsoever to these types of vehicle which by there very nature can squeeze through small gaps (which then get wider) or with two individuals almost any trials bike can be lifted or with some hopped over lower obstacles. Indeed this hopping forms another part of the sport.
    Proper trials clubtend to use prepared areas (been a side car rider in the past) with concessions from local farmers etc.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

ROFLMHO Guest

I personally think RUPPs will disappear due to overgrowth of vegitation, where 4x4&#39;s in the past used to keep them pushed back. Also where I live, local 4x4 clubs have repaired all types of rights of way in the past, now they said they will only repair and maintain BOAT&#39;s. I wonder how long it will be before the 4x4 drivers get the blame for RUPPs becoming overgrown?

Also as a foot note....... because of the NERC papers, many disabled and not so able bodied people are now being denied access to the countryside, which in itself is against the law due to discrimination&#33;

nobbynobbs Guest

try to remember that discretion is still available to the police and that the majority of them will use the new act as a tool to deal with the trouble makers and not the carefull.
    the problem being like any tool in the hands of the inexperienced and over zealous it will be used too much. ie the new or hitler police will grab anyone. while the sensible older copper will use it to deal with for instance,,, travellers or joy riders...

going to be very hard to enforce and manpower intensive.

nanny state telling us all the things we can and can&#39;t do. :angry:

MMattyK Guest

I stand corrected...
    I can only look at my own experiences, and haven&#39;t noted any repairs on the part of the ridgeway that I frequent, but as I said, it certainly looks like 4x4 damage from the width of the ruts... but having said that, even though that part of the ridgway has been closed to vehecle use during the winter months, the local authority/highways agency have done nothing to repair the damage either...