Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Taking my true guise again!

ROFLMHO Guest

I have observed over the last few days, and can clearly see that when someone new enters GAGB, there is frenzy to see who they are and what can they contribute.

My main concern is that, even when a person enters in a calm manner, there is a instant panic mode set in place. Also, if I had had a disability, such as a psychiatric one, I would be labelled as trouble. This is something that should be address.

I would say over 95 % of posters here know me, I am not anyone special, and I have NEVER meaningfully upset anyone.

I do hope that you will understand..... my strap line at the bottom says it all really...just think about it and see where you lay in the line.

Regards,
    A fellow cacher in deepest South West of England.

ROFLMHO wrote:
    I have observed over the last few days, and can clearly see that when someone new enters GAGB, there is frenzy to see who they are and what can they contribute.
    I don't think that's true, generally. You yourself entered with a blitz of posts and revived some happily dying threads, which not surprisingly led to curiosity, but that's the exception, not the rule.

ROFLMHO wrote:
    My main concern is that, even when a person enters in a calm manner, there is a instant panic mode set in place. Also, if I had had a disability, such as a psychiatric one, I would be labelled as trouble. This is something that should be address.
    I see new posters enter all the time - I rarely see panic! If you had a psychiatric problem, then we wouldn't know about it unless it was evident from your posts, so there would be no reason to think you were trouble unless your posts were trouble.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

ROFLMHO Guest

Perhaps I was a little rash with the disability bit, but as many people that post here know nothing about each other, assumptions should not be made that everyone is alike.

A person with a nervous disposition being met with a barrage of questions, could quite easily mis-understand the meaning of the situation.
    I know people can not be guarded or watched over when posting in open forums, but others that don't know who they are talking too, should at least tread carefully with someone, untill the knowledge or friendship of a person is at a level to which comments can be made not to offend. To be honest, over the last 2 years on forums of all kinds, I have seen, and heard from people raging from helpful to damn right rude. It seems because people are not actually talking face to face, some people take advantage of the situation and express themselves to a point of being over bearing.

I must say, I thank you for this open discussion, and hope that others may take on board what we are talking about.

ROFLMHO wrote:
    To be honest, over the last 2 years on forums of all kinds, I have seen, and heard from people raging from helpful to damn right rude. It seems because people are not actually talking face to face, some people take advantage of the situation and express themselves to a point of being over bearing.
    Yes, I've been using forums for many years, and have seen it all too. As you say, it's the fact that it isn't face to face that tends to cause problems. People sometimes say things in forums without considering the reactions of others, whereas face to face you know that if you say the wrong thing, or say it the wrong way, you may very well get a rather poor reception!

Also, the written word is often open to interpretation, and things can get read in a way they weren't meant. I sometimes think that when one hits the "submit" button there should be a cooling off period before the post actually gets entered...!

ROFLMHO Guest

Bill, I appreciate that you know who I am etc, but what also bugs me is when people DO on purpose enter a forum under another name to cause upheavel, or dual post as different people. I know there are members here that do that, which is fine as far as I can see, as long as they don't draw people along with one posting name then hit with another unexpectedly. (A much worse example than the one I have just demonstrated over the past few days. Mine was not a vicious attempt to upset, but a way to see exactly how a reaction can be made by being TOO nice and understanding).

ROFLMHO wrote:
    Bill, I appreciate that you know who I am etc, but what also bugs me is when people DO on purpose enter a forum under another name to cause upheavel, or dual post as different people.
    Yes, indeed. Very few posts get deleted in these forums, but one which was deleted recently was a troll* post that was quite unacceptable. The account was suspended, too.

* Someone will ask, so before they do: A troll is someone who posts with the sole intention of offending or of causing controversy for the sake of it, etc., usually using a sock puppet account, i.e. a false id.

ROFLMHO Guest

My last findings are also related to 'Hanger ons'! Everyone has friends that can become loyal to them and vice versa. However, not all friends are correct. When people have such a strong influence on others, it can create a 'wanted in a group' feeling, where people can bond, yet feel obliged to back up a person regardless whether they are correct or not. This then cause friction amoungst others, leading to harsh words and hard feelings all round. Yes! its a form of bullying, but done in such a back handed way, the lesser person doesn't realise it is happening. I have noticed on more than one occasion this happening recently. Not to be confused with genuine feelings that are backing someone else up.

Oh if only we could live in a perfect world, but alas...NO!

I just hope that, like I have said before, everyone reflects on what has been said and happening. It may help people understand that life is all give and take and that situations should not be voiced without due consideration. (Or if not sure, at least seek advice from the correct experts)

nobbynobbs Guest

least said soonest mended........

:P :P :P