Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Are you a full member?

GAGB elections will be held in November, for the positions of committee members and Chairman. If you wish to vote in those elections you'll need to be a "Member" not a "Member (non-voting)" - you can see which you are below your user name beside your forum posts on GAGB.

If you're showing as non-voting and you've been a member of GAGB for more than a month, then contact me through my GAGB or gc.com profile and I'll make you a full member.

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

wizard1974uk Guest

Just a quick note Bill, I don't know if I'm the only one, I cannot view anyones profiles on here, do not have the neccesary permissions to do so. It makes sending PMs far easier to send PMs from a member's profile as the username would already be filled in ready to send.

wizard1974uk wrote:
    Just a quick note Bill, I don't know if I'm the only one, I cannot view anyones profiles on here, do not have the neccesary permissions to do so. It makes sending PMs far easier to send PMs from a member's profile as the username would already be filled in ready to send.
    No, it's not just you. Some time ago there was a discussion as to whether we should allow members to view other's profiles - I seem to remember the data protection act was cited as an issue. I must admit I'd forgotten all about that.

My own view is that it isn't an issue, as it's usual in forums to allow this, and we should do the same. I'll put it to the committee, and post the result in this thread.

nobbynobbs Guest

why not allow people to opt out? a simple question on the personal details "do you want your details blocked from other users"

data protection doesn't really apply from how i see it. i'd be happy to let people because at the end of the day all they have to do is go to gc.com to do the exact same thing....

nobbynobbs wrote:
    why not allow people to opt out? a simple question on the personal details "do you want your details blocked from other users"
    That's a good idea, but I'm not sure that the forum software provides that facility. But individual members are free to enter as much or as little information in their profile as they like, and anyone who doesn't want details known to others needn't enter any. If they choose to enter nothing, only their sig line and their posting details show, and of course those things are freely available anyway.

wizard1974uk Guest

I'm sure there is an option in the users settings to prevent other's from viewing your profile, as nobby pointed out there isn't a data protection issue as you do not have to list your email address, or any personal details about yourself.

The committee are agreed that members should be allowed to view other member's profiles and the member list. I've now made that change. There's no opt-out facility in the forum software, but members are free to include as much or as little information in their profiles as they wish.

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB

helen in mustardland Guest

Am I?

Ooh, so I am!

Mattwaggie Guest

I think I am!!!

Helen, I waded through the list of over 500 non-voting members a few weeks ago, and made all those I knew to be bona fide cachers full members - you were one of them.

Edit: Mattwaggie, you were one of them too!

Member, or Non-voting?

edit
    Thanks!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Seasider Guest

Status check!

EDIT -

Seasider

dogastus Guest

Just checking...

SSC&B Guest

OK, I changed my caching name a while ago (er, about 7 months ago or something), however, obviously I can't change my screen name therefore have to create a new user-profile.

Will I still have to wait a month before asking to be a full member?

TOS (that's "The Other Stu" for those of you not-in-the-know)

SSC&B wrote:
    OK, I changed my caching name a while ago (er, about 7 months ago or something), however, obviously I can't change my screen name therefore have to create a new user-profile.

Will I still have to wait a month before asking to be a full member?
    No, I've made you a full member.

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB

I think I am!

Therefor I am

I think :unsure:

Teasel Guest

As part of the usual annual housekeeping procedure, I have lapsed the membership of anyone who's not logged in recently, and sent them an email requesting that they renew their membership. I have also made anyone who has logged in recently into a full voting member.

To check which membership group you are in, and to change it if necessary (eg to renew membership, leave GAGB, or to ensure that any genuine "sock puppet" accounts are listed as non-voting), visit https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/register.php (there's also a link on the Join item on the main menu.

This facility will be withdrawn during elections, to ensure that the "electoral register" doesn't change mid-election.

another one checking

Edit to add:- OK all is well

A neat way to see who looks here .. by tempting them t osee if they are a voting member .. .cunning and devious .. remind me not to do your mystery caches ... :lol:

JollyJax wrote:
    A neat way to see who looks here .. by tempting them t osee if they are a voting member .. .cunning and devious .. remind me not to do your mystery caches
    :lol: :lol: :lol: