Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: What have I done wrong?

TheCat Guest

This will be the one and only post I place on this board. I have over the last few weeks watched the formation of GAGB with great intrest. I support its formation and wish it every sucess. But and there has to be a but. I have no idea what I have done to upset the founders of GAGB. The site we (Ian and I) run provides services to the UK Geocaching Community. We do not charge for this service and never will. Ok we import Geocaching.com merchandise into the UK and sell it to cachers in Europe as well as the UK. If you think it is easy and proffit making just think of this. I ordered some items of merchandise from the USA value of 600 dollers by the time shipping, duty and vat are added the total cost was some 1000 dollers. I sell the merchandise as a service not to make a fortune. I infact I make a bit more from selling it to those guys in Europe. I have offered my help in the past and it has been rejected. For instance somewhere in these forums someone I think Tim was asking if anyone had a badge machine and it was surgested that he ask me. I would of been happy to make as many badges etc as GAGB wanted at the price they cost me to make ie: no profit. But was I contacted what do you think? I will be at the HCC event this Saturday and yes I will be selling items of merchandise. Remember you dont have to buy it do you. Talking of the event I am providing a GPS prize for the event I am also producing personalised pin badges for all at the event that want one both cachers and non cachers alike FOR FREE. I am also going down to Hampshire tonight so I can be there and help The Bramblers with the set up etc. For all the people that support what Ian and myself do thanks for those that dont that is your choice but for gods sake lets try to get on for the good of geocaching.

TheCat

Originally posted by TheCat@Jul 16 2003, 02:51 PM
    I would of been happy to make as many badges etc as GAGB wanted at the price they cost me to make
    There is one and only one reason why we didn't come to you for your badges. Purely and simply, cost.

Nothing sinister or underhand.

The GAGB has no funds and is not expected to ever have any.

In the same way that we donate for the benefit of the association, we hope members would too.

The donation of a GPS to the event is obviously very generous but others have, in their own way, been generous also. For our part, June and I have donated the domain names, and hosting of this website plus the labour of creating and maintaining the it. We also have donated a few things for the event, but nobody knows that yet.

I guess we just do things differently.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

TheCat Guest

Ok here is a public offer I am willing to produce 200 badges for GAGB as a donation I can let you have the spec for the printouts that are needed and I will as they say do the rest. I am down in Winchester from tomorow AM so if you can get the prints done before the event I will produce the badges for you. My mobile number is 07710308739 if you wish to meet up.

TheCat

Thanks Mark, I will call you in a couple of mins.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

Teasel Guest

Well, that&#39;s another person feeling like he&#39;s been kicked in the teeth for trying to do his best for Geocaching. I can&#39;t think of (m)any of the well known contributers to Geocaching who&#39;ve not felt the same way at some point.

Could somebody please explain why there&#39;s so much ill-feeling going around? Two of the GAGB founders have good reason to be personally angry at me for writing the trigpointing site. But that doesn&#39;t really explain why we&#39;ve been accused of being anti-GAGB, anti-GC.com profiteers. Nor does it explain why none of the GAGB founders offered their congratulations to us for being recognised by Groundspeak (which I found quite hurtful).

The recent reply to my badge making offer of help seems to confirm that some people would prefer to publically assume the worst, rather than give me the benefit of the doubt, at least until such time as clarification has been sought.

I hope this is just paranoia on my part; some over-sensitivity left over from the traumatic times all parties had some weeks ago. If so, the HCC event will be a perfect opportunity for me to buy everyone a pint to apologise for the above dose of self-pity. If not, please could we all get together and lay our cards on the table? There&#39;s far too much work to be done to waste our energies on anger, mistrust and duplication of effort&#33;

Teasel Guest

Having just read T&J&#39;s reply, I&#39;m looking forward to a large bar bill&#33;

TheCat Guest

Well just had a chat with Tim and got me self roped in making 200 badges for GAGB. They will be available at the event. Now please for everyones sake can we please put the past behind us and all get on. With the all the skills we all have to offer nothing can stop us. After we are all mad or we would not spend a fair bit of our time out there hunting plastic.

TheCat

Originally posted by Teasel@Jul 16 2003, 03:54 PM
    Two of the GAGB founders have good reason to be personally angry at me for writing the trigpointing site.
    I think I am one of the two you mention Teasel.

For the record I have moved on since all that business and think it should be left to be forgotten in the midsts of time.

I&#39;ll be there for a bit on Saturday and look forward to meeting you.
    Rich

I don&#39;t believe Geocaching has sufficient people willing to commit time and effort to afford the divisions which I&#39;ve seen in other voluntary organisations. I found the recent flame war very depressing because it surfaced some very extreme views and behaviours but since then most people have been able to find common ground and come back together. I&#39;d like to see this positive behaviour continue and look forward to seeing Mark and Teasel at HCC.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Kouros Guest

Originally posted by The Wombles@Jul 16 2003, 08:31 PM
    I don&#39;t believe Geocaching has sufficient people willing to commit time and effort to afford the divisions which I&#39;ve seen in other voluntary organisations. I found the recent flame war very depressing because it surfaced some very extreme views and behaviours but since then most people have been able to find common ground and come back together. I&#39;d like to see this positive behaviour continue and look forward to seeing Mark and Teasel at HCC.
    Fully agreed. Am thoroughly looking forward to meeting all on Saturday.

old addage says

"You don&#39;t get a second chance to make a first impression"

hope to meet some of you on Saturday so you can prove the above to be wrong
    Geocachers do it by Degrees

Omally Guest

Originally posted by gavotteers@Jul 17 2003, 08:28 PM
    hope to meet some of you on Saturday so you can prove the above to be wrong
    Fear not: we&#39;re just a bunch of big softies really&#33;

I&#39;m looking forward to meeting everyone at the weekend.
    Gavotteers, I hope you and other new cachers that are coming along thoroughly enjoy yourselves. The fora don&#39;t always reflect the behaviour of all cachers, y&#39;know&#33;

Mark,

Thanks for taking the time, and making the effort to came all the way &#39;darn sarf&#39; to make us the badges, etc.

Your &#39;prize&#39; was well appreciated, and it was good to meet up with you again.

I&#39;m only sorry I seem to have missed the bar bill. ;-)

See you all again shortly. (I hope.) Great fun was had by all who attended.
    One day my sigline will stop changing.
    Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!".

stu_and_sarah Guest

Thanks for making the GAGB badges. I have one attached to my caching bag

Hopefully it will help be a secret signal to any cachers we see "in the field" so to speak

Sarah

Oops &#33;

The above posts have prompted me.

Although I thanked you personally (even tried to take you out for a pint, but Friday was just a little hectic), it was very remiss of me not to thank you here publicly. Apologies for that.

To add to the thanks of others, we too thank you for your kind gesture. They certainly did look very professional. :wub:

Next time you&#39;re this way, or if we get up there, I owe you a pint ot two.

TheCat Guest

No problems it was a pleasure to provide the badges.