Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Making an avatar

KathyXB Guest

Hi I am sorry I seem to be asking lots of questions lately! I want to put an avatar on my forum post/replies but I have no idea how to upload an image, can anyone point me in right direction?

Kathy

nobbynobbs Guest

go into MY CONTROLS

then down to edit avatar settings.

within that is a position to insert the link to a image. so find the image you want on the web and put it there. should work.

hope that helps.

KathyXB Guest

thanks - I see that. what do I do if I want to put my own image on?

K

Kathy, if you want to use an image of your own you first need to put it on the web somewhere. If you've already got webspace of your own you can put it there. If not, there are free photo hosting sites. I've never used one, but a lot of people recommend Photobucket.

When the image is on the web, go to it then copy the address from the address bar at the top of your browser. Then on the Avatar page, paste the address into the box beside "Your image avatars - Enter a URL to an online avatar image"

Let us know if you have any problems.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

KathyXB Guest

Thanks to you both for your pointers on this as you can see have succeeded!

Cheers Bill & Nobby!

Kathy

Kathy, I'm glad you got there with it!

Your image is much larger than it needs to be for an avatar, though, and that makes it very slow to load. You probably won't see this, as your browser will have cached (stored) the image, but when I first saw your avatar it took quite some seconds to appear bit by bit...!

If you have the means and know how to, resize it to 48 pixels wide by 64 pixels high. If you can't, just say and I'll send you a resized version. I can get your email address from the membership list.

nobbynobbs Guest

another easy place to dump a photo or image is onto a cache you own on the gc.com site.
    this then puts it in your gallery which means that you can link to that.

happy to help as it's rare that the is a computer question that i can actually answer!!! :lol:

KathyXB Guest

May I ask you another favour good sirs...let me know if its loading nice and speedy now that I have downsized it to the correct pixels?

Ta muchly!

Kathy, that's fine! You've reduced it from over 300 kilobytes to just 3 kb!!! Instant loading!

KathyXB Guest

:lol: