Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: TB etiquette

TheGilfillans Guest

As newbies, can I check some TB etiquette ? At GCC81C, we found a GeoCoin. When I tried to log it as 'retrieved', it didn't appear as in the cache but 'in the hands' of another geocacher.

I think I have 2 options - (1) email the other geocacher and ask him to 'drop off' the geocoin into the cache where I found it so I can then 'retrieve' it or (2) I 'grab' it from him.

I chose the latter - is either more acceptable.

Thanks
    Derek

I would think the first option preferable unless the holder of the coin does not respond when you may have to take the second and grab it. You could then place it into the cache you found it in and take it out again. That way the mileage it covers will be corrected but take care if you have already logged the find of the cache that you only "write notes" for you subsequent entries.
    Sound a bit of a palaver but some TB and Geocoin owners are quite keen for the mileage their TBs and Coins have covered to be correct.
    Enjoy your caching!

For me the first option is better because sometimes people pick up and leave items whilst on holiday and do not log them until they return, so I would wait a few days before emailing.

Fuchsiamagic Guest

I had the same problem as a newbie when trying to process my first TB. I gave up and went to bed, then when I looked at the site again the next day, it had sorted itself out. Maybe you just need to wait a while.

It's also a good idea to mention in the cache log if you take a TB from the cache. Then anyone following closely in your footsteps knows it's gone, in case it was something they were hoping to pick up. Just recently we made a special trip to try and collect a Green Jeep TB from a cache. It wasn't in the cache when we got there... not surprising, as they are desirable icons... BUT there was no log in the book to say who had collected it! In fact there was no log at all following after the log when it was placed. The GJ is still showing on the cache page but it has "disappeared" so all we can do is put it on our "Watchlist" and hope that eventually it will "reappear" somewhere else.

TheGilfillans Guest

Thanks for all the advice.....worked it out with the TB owner in Australia

OK...a very quick question.

Are there any hard and fast 'official' rules concerning the amount of time that you hold onto a TB.

We only ask, as our first and only 'wild' TB has been stationary for 5 weeks now!!!

In the past, if we have held onto a TB we have emailed the owner to let them know what is happening with it...

Many thanks

Family_Moose
    He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost?

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - TS ELLIOT

The GSP TB guidelines say that "Most owners would rather see their travel bugs do a lot of travelling, so try not to hold on to a travel bug for too long. If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know."

which is all good and dandy.

My experience is that many cachers don't/aren't able to meet this 2 week target and it's fairly unusual for me to receive an email saying, "Sorry for the delay but we'll be moving it soon..." or whatever.

I have enough trackables moving around that I don't worry about it if they get held up in their travels - I don't send any "polite nudge" email until mine have been asleep for about 10 weeks - but delays can be very frustrating if you only have one or two trackables out there... or if the trackable belongs to your youngster who's waiting and watching for every move.

Following a couple of TB's still showing in a cache or two of mine, but not physically being there, I did manage to track one down eventually. It was a bit of a struggle as the logs were riddled with' took TB/coin or dropped TB/coin in to carry on its journey' not a lot of use when you are trying to track a TB/Coin down. I have started to add the following to my cache pages (where applicable)
    REMEMBER TO LOG BUGS & COINS IN AND OUT BY NAME
    it makes it easier to try and trace them if they go missing.

Hopefully 'some' cachers may just do as I ask and make it easier, it doesnt take much more writing to do it. Or does it????

Other considerations you might take into account are,

Has the cacher been logging finds since they retrieved your TB, if yes but they still haven't dropped off the TB then maybe it's rattling around at the bottom of a bag and they've forgotten they've got it so a gentle reminder might not be amiss.

On the other hand are the caches they've found large enough for them to leave the TB, maybe they've tried dropping it off but haven't found a container large enough?

Have you given it a mission? If so the cacher might be holding onto it until they can help with the mission.

I can't see a problem with a polite reminder asking when they think they'll be dropping it off somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    Following a couple of TB's still showing in a cache or two of mine, but not physically being there, I did manage to track one down eventually. It was a bit of a struggle as the logs were riddled with' took TB/coin or dropped TB/coin in to carry on its journey' not a lot of use when you are trying to track a TB/Coin down. I have started to add the following to my cache pages (where applicable)
    REMEMBER TO LOG BUGS & COINS IN AND OUT BY NAME
    it makes it easier to try and trace them if they go missing.

Hopefully 'some' cachers may just do as I ask and make it easier, it doesnt take much more writing to do it. Or does it????
    But not by tracking code! Had this recently but a quick polite note soon solved it

Ringeling Guest

Default Want my TB to travel again

Hi there all,

I am a geocacher from the Netherlands. One of my TB's Doire Cholmcille https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=562648 is in the hands
    is in the hands of snowmanking, since 27th July 2009.

I've contacted him by his geocachingaccount 3 times, asking to forward my TB, but I did'nt receive any reply and the TB is still in his hands.
    He is a premium member, found only 2 caches and he lives in Swindon.

I tried to contact him by his Twitteraccount, as he uses the same nickname over there. I recognised him comparing the picture with the log of my TB and the pic with his twitteraccount.

Can anyone be of help to get my TB moving further?
    Last edited by Ringeling; 6th December 2009 at 12:28 PM.