Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Geocoin Theft

Team Simpson IOM Guest

:angry:

I have logged a few coins lately that have been drilled or otherwise defaced by their owners to stop them being stolen by collectors. Technically that's what it is when you remove a coin from a cache and don't log it and keep it for your own collection. I have had a limtied edition Isle of Man Geocoin stolen form (GCXYDT) A53 Tak a tern on the old road Coin No TBNFB9 Tracking no PC3AMA

It's really annoying to think that a coin I bought has been taken and kept by somebody, but this is becoming all to common these days...

Also the owners put these coins out to travel around and give others a chance to see them.

So if you have ever kept a coin or know someone who has.... MOVE it on and don't be a selfish *$%& and don't spoil it for the rest of uswho play by the rules

nobbynobbs Guest

i totally agree but at the end of the day the sort of person who will do this is unlikely to change due to a simple request.

i just wish there was a way to stop it. my only solution would be to send out a duplicate ie image of the coin and keep the original.

if someone is going to collect(steal) it i don't see how a hole is going to stop them.

within any group of people you will always get one or two who are that way inclined. unfortunately.

My sympathy to Team Simpson.

We don't have many geocoins, but those we have are out "in the wild" and each one has been drilled to have a small keyring with mission statement attached. I don't like defacing the coins in this way but, personally, I'd rather find a real coin in a cache than a laminate copy. As with any collectable item, I assume that those few cachers who steal will be looking for "perfect" specimens and hopefully the small hole will be enough to deter them from pocketing our coins.

Grank Guest

Originally posted by Mrs Blorenge@Jan 12 2007, 09:15 AM
    each one has been drilled to have a small keyring with mission statement attached. ... hopefully the small hole will be enough to deter them from pocketing our coins.
    Unfortunately not. Of my original set of 7 Aussie geocoins released “TOUR IRELAND”, "TOUR UK" and "TOUR SCANDINAVIA” have gone missing, and another I am chasing up with the last finder. All are drilled and keyring goals attached.

Once they are confirmed gone, I rename them as “Stolen?” in the hope that if ever someone checks on the GC website so:
    - if they took it, they may be somewhat shamed
    - if they have been offered it as a trade, they may be warned that they may be trading with someone that may not be ethical.

On a similar topic, I have also had one of my caches “muggled” with all contents, log book, and cache located intact by the next finder but only a rare (in Australian terms) geocoin missing … seemed a bit suspicious to me.

So I must agree with the sentiments of the initiator of the subject and others. Although I do understand that people like to see new coins (I’ll visit caches I have previously found to “find” or “discover” a coin type I haven’t seen before), I cannot understand why someone takes it knowing that they are stealing it.

I have considered buying one or two of the rarer geocoins with a view to letting them loose in the wild but, in view of the comments above, maybe I won't bother now.
    Yes, I suppose I could buy them and just take them along to Events to let others see them and log them but to my way of thinking that's not "playing the game".

Originally posted by Mrs Blorenge@Jan 20 2007, 11:55 AM
    I have considered buying one or two of the rarer geocoins with a view to letting them loose in the wild but, in view of the comments above, maybe I won't bother now.
    Yes, I suppose I could buy them and just take them along to Events to let others see them and log them but to my way of thinking that's not "playing the game".
    shall we mention fairy theft?

Nope. That would be a completely different thread.

nobbynobbs Guest

feel free to start said thread.

i've got myself the england wales and scotland but no way will i realease them.

been tempted to send out copies laminated into the world to see at the end of the day too bad if people don't like that, they're mine, if i knew that they were safe the maybe i'd think otherwise.

jimblonduk Guest

Ok, just supposing I visited someone who shows me their coin collection and I find a few that have been 'drilled', what should my course of action be ?

I havent, they havent and I would if it ever did.

Can they be reported to the GAGB, or maybe to Groundspeak with a view to their membership and therefore their access to co-ordinates being removed. I'm sure the police wouldnt want to know although with tracking numbers proving the offence shouldnt be too difficult.

Just my Tuppenny worth

nobbynobbs Guest

tough one. i would personally ask ,in all innocence "why they are drilled" just to see what the person said. then say isn't that as bad as theft to keep them.

at the end of the day it'll never happen though as these coins get swallow into private collections of people who wont then show anyone.

it would be up to you whether you contacted the owners of the coins, name and shame them on the forums or similar.

officially i'm not sure that we have any guidelines as to what we would do on the website. obviously we would be without proof and our hands would be somewhat tied. i'd say that the best course of action would be to convince the person to give you the coins so that you could release them as soon as possible.

Alice Band Guest

Would you believe even the copies vanish? A cacher near me placed laminated copies of the UK Geocoin in various caches after the originals got nicked. Several visits later and various logs report that the 'coins' were not in their caches (except one US copy). Who the hell took them? People who think it was a calling card? Newbies who don't understand the game properly? Having said that, I did meet a newbie once who thought all coins were left in caches for the finder to keep, not move on

Looking at the gc.com front page and info page for newbies it seems that for some of the more intellectually challenged cachers the definition between taking and keeping and taking and moving on (if its a coin) becomes blurred. Of course there always will be the selfish thieves :angry:

Remember when some stolen TB&#39;s turned up on E-Bay? I have yet to see any coins with drill holes etc at events, but if I did I would take down its number and double check without saying anything to the holder via WAP. If its stolen then.....*mutter* *mutter* <_<

Often wonder if the Stash note could be better worded.

"The only rules are: if you take something from the cache, you must leave something for the cache, and you must write about your visit in the logbook."

I wonder if muggles see the nice toy/coin tb, take it but fail to write anything... ?
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

nobbynobbs Guest

unfortunately it will always be human nature. see something shiny take it&#33; those of us with morals don&#39;t take it forever those without aren&#39;t going to loose any slep no matter what the stash note or forums say.

silverado Guest

i have seen the best result for travelling coins when they have been drilled and a laminated tag attached, it is vary confusing when i find a coin in a cache with no identification, is it a traveller or is it a trade item, a few times i have traded for a coin in a cache only to get home and find that it&#39;s a traveller, also when they are drilled they are less desirable for coin collectors.

nobbynobbs Guest

i think that i still favour the laminated copy. at least if they get nicked it&#39;s easy to do another copy and send it out.

doesn&#39;t matter what you do to the real thing some will steal anything&#33;