Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: hostelries listed on cache pages?

nobbynobbs Guest

so what are you thoughts as to giving the location of a nearby good pub/ cafe to one of your caches?

might prove to be handy so that you can plan the cache walk to include refreshments. saves going into a pub that you might not had you been given prior warning :lol:

Excellent idea. We have done this on a few of our own caches. We have even made an "ice cream recommendation" on our cache near Tintern.

Really like the idea, its really annoying when you are hungry, and have no idea where the nearest decent cafe/pub grub or even toilets are in the area.

However, it will need to be checked regularly to make sure it is still open - food still good etc etc. Although logs will probably confirm this.

Assuming this is acceptable with 'the powers that be' and the Cache Polis won't complain that it is advertising though? :unsure:

I think I'm right in saying that in the days when we had US reviewers we weren't supposed to mention pubs on cache pages, and that was a sore point. Since we've had our own UK reviewers it's been considered perfectly acceptable. Pubs are part of our way of life, and the UK reviewers acknowledge that.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Bills right, one of the reasons those who became the original UK Approvers, fought GC over, was caches being refused by the US based Approvers. Because of the mention of pubs on cache pages.

As long as it is a brief mention, such as the name, and that it serves food there is no problem with a passing mention of a pub on a cache page. But if you cross that line and go into more detail then, that is then going into a commercial solicitation. Which as we all know from reading the guidelines [revised edition] :P is not allowed.

[for those who are not aware of it, Reviewers were originally called Approvers. This was changed as we do not Approve Caches, but only Review them to insure they meet the guidelines]
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

KathyXB Guest

At the end of the day is this not just the cache placers opinion on what is good in the area? Its not likely to come into any bother in terms of advertising surely??!!

I think its a great idea, especially when caching "out of area" and you don't necessarily know what is a good (or bad) pub/cafe/restaurant to choose.

dogastus Guest

I've mentioned twenty pubs on one of my caches, is that going over the top? At least you could say I was impartial :lol:

nobbynobbs Guest

my personal thoughts are that it is ok as long as it is a passing mention, though one of my series steps right up to the line and possible over!

does make a caching day out much easier especially for those with smaller cachers apart from anything else it gives you location of a clean set of toilets!!

and if a couple of pints of refreshment and a bite to eat happen at the same time.... :lol:

V70T5 Guest

I think its nice when cache owners take the time to write about the history at the location or something else interesting.

Listing such places as toilets, places to eat/drink or other even the nearest filling station seem to make a lot of sense too.

I can't see why reviewers or Geocaching.com would frown upon it, perhaps so long as you don't mention the name of the establishment?

Just my two cents as an almost complete newbie to this addiction

(Geocaching.. not pub crawling )

Gavin
    (V70T5)

So its all OK to say, great refreshment at that big white building on the corner, with a picture of a red animal that says Moo?

Or the quaint little thatched building down the street that has a Blue dingdong thingy signpost?

Ooops, am I being biased for pub meals? hee hee

Ones that have stone floors, don't mind clarty boots etc, definately the best ones to recommend - well OK assuming in the deepest countryside!