Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nominations for the rest of the committee

Chris n Maria Guest

As we are getting nominations for chir on another thread would it not be a good idea to start collecting nominations for the other comittee places now? or is there a reason why they can't all be done at the same time ?

:unsure: Just wundering? :unsure:

Chris

Reckon you've been bugging our office or something.

We have been discussing this and had already decided that there is little to stop us doing this and would put it before the rest of the committee.

The only possible small issue is that we might have to edit the list after the poll for the chair.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

The Hornet Guest

Not wanting to double post I&#39;ve put my nomination for committee member in the other thread.

Update: Just realised this was incorrect so have added my nomination below. Sorry guys & gals.

Peter

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by Tim and June@Jul 23 2003, 03:21 PM
    Reckon you&#39;ve been bugging our office or something.
    Nope just dredfully bored writing documentation so my mind is wandering a lot h34r:

Chris n Maria Guest

<hoping this is the right place for this post>
    Hmmm,

if there are 5 posts available then I would like to nominate the following people if they are prepared to stand:
    • Moss da Boss - who has time and again earned his place at the helm through some very stormy waters.
    • The Hornet - If anyone knows about placing and finding it&#39;s this man.
    • The Bramblers - People who really know how to get things done&#33;
    • Teasel - Someone who has a proven record of dealing proactivly and succesfully with Groundspeak.
    • DodgyDavid - an honerable chap to represent the ordinary "cacher on the street".

Chris

The Hornet Guest

Having just tried to nominate a "general" committee member in the wrong thread I&#39;ll try again here.

I would like to nominate a guy who has been in the game a long time now. Someone who has contributed an enormous amount of his own time already and who has set up an unrivalled facility to help all UK cachers completely free of charge. Someone who&#39;s website has the recognition of Groundspeak/GC.COM. The only downside is that he comes from "toop north" but you can&#39;t have everything I suppose .

Of course I&#39;m talking about Mark - The Cat .

p.s. I&#39;d be happy with 4 of Chris&#39; nominations, can&#39;t comment about one guy though (handsome and debonair though he may be ).

My nominations for committee positions:
    • Moss Trooper
    • Richard and Beth
    • El10t
    • Postie
    • Mark (The Cat)
    • The Bramblers

Perm any 5 out of 6, and away you go...

If any of them decide not to run, that&#39;ll still leave me a chance of getting the names in.

Cheers,
    Derek
    One day my sigline will stop changing.
    Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!".

Teasel Guest

Of course I&#39;m talking about Mark - The Cat.
    Seconded&#33;

Whilst GeocacheUK is perhaps the most visible of Mark&#39;s additions to geocaching, he has made many other contributions too, ranging from his famous Fox Hunts for Children in Need and the Southern Cache Bash, to his recent assistance with the HCC event.

But the skills which will make him invaluable to the GAGB committee are those which he does not bring attention to. He has already gained approval from both Rangers and Councils alike for his personal caches, and continues to promote geocaching to both councils and national landowners. He has not sought public acclaim by writing about these discussions in the forums, nor did he halt his efforts during the recent "troubles", when some people were giving G:UK a particularly hard time.

He has given, and continues to give a lot of time to geocaching and has had numerous successes (and I&#39;m not talking about finding plastic boxes&#33. I&#39;m sure this will continue whether or not he gets a place on the GAGB committee, but I feel the opportunity of having Mark represent GAGB to landowners is too good to miss&#33;

Originally posted by DerekReed@Jul 23 2003, 04:35 PM
    My nominations for committee positions:
    • Richard and Beth

Thanks for the nomination.

However I&#39;m afraid following the recent death of our vicar in Finchampstead we&#39;ll be busy with extra things at the church for the next 6-12 months until a new priest is appointed. So I&#39;m afraid we wouldn&#39;t be able to promise to give the GAGB the time it deserves. We will still be around, but we would rather not serve on the committee this year.

Regards,

Richard

Originally posted by Richard and Beth@Jul 23 2003, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the nomination.

We <snip> would rather not serve on the committee this year.
    Thanks for that. I did read that on a recent post elsewhere; as a result my nominations for committee positions are now:
    • Moss Trooper
    • El10t
    • Postie
    • Mark (The Cat)
    • The Bramblers

Derek :unsure:
    One day my sigline will stop changing.
    Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!".

TheCat Guest

Well what can I say? I would of course be willing to stand forelection to the committee of GAGB. I would like to thank those that nominated me and hope that if elected I can contribute to the success of GAGB. I can understand that there might be a few that think that running GC:UK would cause a conflict of interest. All I can say is it is just not the case. The fact that I run a website should not cause problems. I am sure that if the members of GAGB think it will then I will not get elected. One last thing if the membership of GAGB don’t think I am the person they need for one of the committee places so be it. But rest assured I will not take my bat home and close down GC:UK that is bigger than me and will run even when I have gone.

washboy Guest

Well, I&#39;ve met only a handful of other cachers so I&#39;m not in much of a position to nominate. If anyone actually seeks nomination, perhaps they should say so and offer some sort of manifesto

But I would like to second the nomination of Mark (TheCat). Leaving off my G:UK Forum moderator&#39;s hat while here, and speaking as a simple cacher, I&#39;d like to say how surprised I was that no-one from G:UK was invited to participate in the formation of GAGB. If he&#39;s willing, I&#39;m sure Mark has a lot more to offer GAGB, its members and geocaching in the UK.

I&#39;d also like to second the nomination of The Bramblers. I&#39;ve not met them but their quiet contribution and competence is self-evident.

Can I ask "admin" how we are supposed to make nominations for committee when no one but the caretaker "committee" knows who the members of the Association are? :unsure:
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

Teasel Guest

Well, I&#39;m not "admin", but I&#39;d question whether someone who&#39;s not open about their membership of GAGB, and who does not contribute to the forums, would be an appropriate person to be nominated...

Perhaps, between nominations closing and the poll opening, we could have some sort of "hustings" forum for the nominated people to explain, to new and experienced cachers alike, who they are and what they would contribute to the committee?

Hi Derek,

I&#39;m truely flattered by being included in your nomination list but unfortunately I would prefer not to stand for election.

There are lots of decent cachers around with real vision in seeing GAGB through to where it should be going, who understand exactly what is was set up for and who have unbounded enthusiasm for the good of the organisation (despite the frequent unwarranted bashing we seem to get) who are far better placed to be on the committee than me.

Besides which I have a 2 and a quarter year old son and so free time for caching (and anything else) is pretty much non-existant
    Rich

Originally posted by Muggle@Jul 23 2003, 08:24 PM
    Can I ask "admin" how we are supposed to make nominations for committee when no one but the caretaker "committee" knows who the members of the Association are? :unsure:
    I can understand your point, and it is a difficult one to resolve.

I can only suggest that you nominate those who you feel would make a good candidate. The caretaking committee will then ensure that they are members.

Not a perfect solution, but it is the best I can offer at this stage.

Motley Crew Guest

I would like to propose Omally (Neil) as a candidate for the committee.

I believe he&#39;s &#39;in touch&#39; with the ground roots cachers and he has youth on his side (lucky chap ). Both qualities are usefull assetts for the GAGB. He is a proven organiser and has the ability to see things through (e.g. recent charity bike ride & HCC multicache) and is an all round diamond geezer with a sense of humour which may well be needed on some occasions .

(On a less serious note - should the position arise he&#39;d be ideal as &#39;Minister Of SuperSoakers&#39; )

Originally posted by Admin+Jul 23 2003, 09:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Admin @ Jul 23 2003, 09:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Muggle@Jul 23 2003, 08:24 PM
    I can understand your point, and it is a difficult one to resolve.

I can only suggest that you nominate those who you feel would make a good candidate. The caretaking committee will then ensure that they are members.

Not a perfect solution, but it is the best I can offer at this stage. [/b][/quote]
    Fair enoguh.

I&#39;d like to second the nomination for The Hornet. Seems like a level headed bloke who knows what he is talking about. And just to make sure that things don&#39;t get too Hampshire based I would also like to nominate Lance Ambu. Another straight talker and spokesperson for the Celts.

I&#39;m strongly opposed to the idea of having both UK geocaching.com cache approvers on the committee, but the ballot box will prevail on that one.

Paul G0TLG Guest

Nothing against any of those already nominated...but I&#39;d like to add Paul Blitz to the list, if he&#39;s prepared to stand.

He proved himself tireless (unfortunately&#33 at the HCC event, and I know from another voluntary group we&#39;re both involved in, that when he gets the bit between his teeth, he runs with it until the job&#39;s done (sorry for the mixed metaphors).

Paul

TheCat Guest

I would like to seconed both Tease,l if only for the reason that he has put so much effort into the Uk Stats system and would be good should GAGB ever need any computer programming done. Also he is a great guy. And also Omally he is a nutter (In the best possible taste) and as has been said before this committee will need some young blood.

Chris n Maria Guest

The State of Play at the moment

Just to summarise where I think we are so far:

Nominee - Do they want the job?
    DodgyDavid - ?
    El10t - Declined
    Lance Ambu - ?
    Mark (The Cat) - Accepted
    Moss da Boss - Declined
    Omally - ?
    Paul Blitz - ?
    Postie - ?
    Richard and Beth - Declined
    Teasel - ?
    The Bramblers ?
    The Hornet ?

Hope I didn&#39;t miss anyone (if I did it isn&#39;t deliberate)

Mr &amp; Mrs Hedgehog Guest

I believe that Tim and June and Jstead have been nominated for the postion of Chairman.... Surely whom ever gets nominated for the chaire and doesn&#39;t get elected will automatically be in the nominations for committe?

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog@Jul 24 2003, 04:22 PM
    I believe that Tim and June and Jstead have been nominated for the postion of Chairman.... Surely whom ever gets nominated for the chaire and doesn&#39;t get elected will automatically be in the nominations for committe?
    Whoops&#33; of course you are right - I was only sumarising the thread I was in. try this:
    DodgyDavid - ?
    El10t - Declined
    JStead - ?
    Lance Ambu - ?
    Moss da Boss - Declined
    Omally - ?
    Paul Blitz - ?
    Postie - ?
    T&J - Accepted
    Teasel - ?
    The Bramblers ?
    The Hornet ?
    The Wombles -?

Ta C&#39;n&#39;M et al.

dodgydaved is up for it :unsure:

I&#39;d also like to nominate Eckington. Might as well have him on board as well.

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by Muggle@Jul 24 2003, 05:45 PM
    I&#39;d also like to nominate Eckington. Might as well have him on board as well.
    I think he already is :

Originally posted by Chris n Maria+Jul 24 2003, 05:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chris n Maria @ Jul 24 2003, 05:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mr & Mrs Hedgehog@Jul 24 2003, 04:22 PM
    Whoops&#33; of course you are right - I was only sumarising the thread I was in. try this:

[&#092;snip]

The Wombles -?

[/snip]
    [/b][/quote]

Thanks, as per the other thread, we can&#39;t accept a nomination for the Chair but accept nomination for a committee post with thanks.

Dave

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by Chris n Maria@Jul 24 2003, 05:04 PM
    Paul Blitz - ?
    Yes, I&#39;m happy to be on the list (with or without the bit between my metaphorical teeth :lol: - thank you Paul GOTLG&#33;&#33.

I&#39;m also very happy to support ALL the other names on the list....

Paul

THE BRAMBLERS Guest

Apologies for not posting earlier but our pc has got a major fault and we are having to use someone elses.

We would like to thank those who have nominated us, but at this time we feel we will have to decline.

We really just want to take a back seat and simply enjoy our caching trips.

We would like to second Paul Blitz. His enthusiasm should be a real asset.

Debbie and David

Omally Guest

I appreciate the nomination, but I&#39;m afraid I must decline as well. My work schedule leaves me with little free time to devote to extraneous activities. I don&#39;t feel I&#39;d be able to give enough attention to as important a role as committee member.

Omally Guest

Of course, I do agree with Keith in that some young blood may be a good idea.
    I nominate Kouros (if he&#39;ll accept). A level-headed, environmentally aware chap who I would trust entirely in communications with a county council or other land-owner.

MCL Guest

I think we must be careful here not to fall into a trap.

The position of Chair, should, IMHO be a single person. Now what I have to say is no reflection on *any* of teh teams that are currently up for nomination, but I am just trying to think ahead. It may be in the future that we get a chair-team which is at war with itself. A dozn reasons could be the cause of this, but in the end, what is to happen if two people on a team try and pull the association in two different directions? Who has the overall authority? See what I mean?

Unfortunately, I believe we must protect ourselves against this scenario by saying that only individuals can stand for chair (and possibly the other positions too, but Chair is the real special-case.

So to this end, I would be happy to nominate Tim, *or* June, *or* Mark, *or* Teasel, *or* Washboy *or* The Hornet, ... but not a *team*

Also, if one person in a team does become Chair, they can always if they wish, accept the nomination on the condition that their spouse/whatever be honorary "vice-chair", (I could see this happening, for example, with T&J) but nevertheless, when push came to shove, no-one would be in any doubt as to who was in charge, and therefore who&#39;s decision was final.

Sorry to be so maudlin but these potential pitfalls can be avoided if we plan for them in advance.

Chris n Maria Guest

Ok so this is where we are at now:

DodgyDavid - Accepted
    El10t - Declined
    JStead - ?
    Kouros - ?
    Lance Ambu - ?
    Moss da Boss - Declined
    Omally - Declined
    Paul Blitz - Accepted
    Postie - ?
    T&J - Accepted
    Teasel - ?
    The Bramblers - Declined
    The Hornet - ?
    The Wombles - Accepted

I&#39;m starting to feel like Jeremy Paxman :

Geoff &amp; Bonnie Guest

Sorry if I have missed the email but can Admin confirm that the whole membership (170+?) have been informed that the nomination process for both Chair and commitee is underway? If the answer is no then we should stop the process until all have been informed.
    Geoff

I really think Chris and Maria should be nominated to the committee not just for the Jeremy Paxman impersonation, but also for their contribution to Geocaching as a whole.

Richard

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by Richard and Beth@Jul 25 2003, 09:58 AM
    I really think Chris and Maria should be nominated to the committee not just for the Jeremy Paxman impersonation, but also for their contribution to Geocaching as a whole.

Richard
    Thanks Richard but I think we will decline. We honestly think there are a lot of people who will make a much bigger/better contribution than ourselves (like the people we nominated). So thanks - but not thanks

Besides we wouldn&#39;t want to compromise our journalistic integrity

Originally posted by Geoff & Bonnie@Jul 25 2003, 09:20 AM
    can Admin confirm that the whole membership (170+?) have been informed
    Yes everyone who has not disabled "admin emails" in their "my controls" options have been emailed.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

Icenians Guest

Originally posted by Tim and June+Jul 25 2003, 11:43 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tim and June @ Jul 25 2003, 11:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Geoff & Bonnie@Jul 25 2003, 09:20 AM
    can Admin confirm that the whole membership (170+?) have been informed
    Yes everyone who has not disabled "admin emails" in their "my controls" options have been emailed. [/b][/quote]
    Er, when was that sent? I didn&#39;t get one but then I only joined a couple of days ago.

Daisy&amp;me Guest

I didn&#39;t get one either.

Chris n Maria Guest

Just to say,

i did - but can&#39;t give you any more info as I deleted it

Originally posted by Icenians@Jul 25 2003, 01:16 PM
    Er, when was that sent? I didn&#39;t get one but then I only joined a couple of days ago.
    Hi Icenians, welcome aboard&#33;

Does your joining mean that the anti-GAGB postings to other geocaching sites forums is a thing of the past?
    Rich

Kouros Guest

Originally posted by Omally@Jul 24 2003, 09:32 PM
    Of course, I do agree with Keith in that some young blood may be a good idea.
    I nominate Kouros (if he&#39;ll accept).
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Omally.

I&#39;d consider a position of some sort within the Committee, if I were nominated for it, but not Chair. I don&#39;t think I have a suitable amount of free time to give the position justice.

EDIT: After a quick browse of the list, everybody put forward seem (to my own experience) like people who I would be proud to have act in my (as a Geocaching participant) interest. I&#39;d be inclined to nod towards people who have a track record with dealing with large organisations - either in, or out of Geocaching. Perhaps, for example, somebody who has worked for a county council before? Just a thought.

Of the people who have accepted, would it be possible for them to suggest why they feel they would be suitable? I know they have already been nominated for very valid and just reasons, but perhaps they could outline how their experience up until this point would benefit them in the role.

In contrary to this apparent stance on experience, I do wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion that there should be "young blood" on the chair (please, no sacrificing) but I do feel that, from a land owner&#39;s point of view, liasing with someone with a little more experience might provide a more robust image of Geocaching.

That view, of course, is completely unfounded, but it is something I can&#39;t help but feel.

Originally posted by Kouros@Jul 25 2003, 05:44 PM

In contrary to this apparent stance on experience, I do wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion that there should be "young blood" on the chair (please, no sacrificing) but I do feel that, from a land owner&#39;s point of view, liasing with someone with a little more experience might provide a more robust image of Geocaching.

Personally I&#39;d like to see a cross-section on the committee which would help it deal with a wide variety of issues. This mixture should include knowledge of big (public body) organisations, negotiations, publicity, environment, legal and then ideally target market (from children to Hornet), experience of placing and finding caches, families etc.

I agree with the idea that each candidate should make an election statement to support their application, which could be the previously suggested Hustings (candidates answer questions) or probably easier as a statement of relevant experience / capability.

Can we complete the nominations process and then ask each candidate to post such a statement?

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Omally Guest

Fear not, Kouros: I nominated you for Committee, not Chair&#33;

Almost forgot to second Lance Ambu. Go on, say you will

Sound chap with a valuable sense of humour (which is essential eqiupment in anyones mental tool-box). Also a long-standing geocacher (since August &#39;01) with a mature, well adjusted outlook on caching-practice.

Pair of all &#39;round good candidates , I&#39;d say.

Icenians Guest

Originally posted by el10t@Jul 25 2003, 03:28 PM

Does your joining mean that the anti-GAGB postings to other geocaching sites forums is a thing of the past?
    I haven&#39;t posted one of those for quite some time. I&#39;m here so that I can keep an eye on what&#39;s happening. I will still be fighting for things I believe in.

Kouros Guest

Originally posted by Omally@Jul 25 2003, 07:34 PM
    Fear not, Kouros: I nominated you for Committee, not Chair&#33;
    Indeed, but I thought I&#39;d clarify. Oh, and Lance Ambu, say yes&#33;

Motley Crew Guest

Originally posted by el10t+Jul 25 2003, 03:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (el10t @ Jul 25 2003, 03:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Icenians@Jul 25 2003, 01:16 PM

Does your joining mean that the anti-GAGB postings to other geocaching sites forums is a thing of the past? [/b][/quote]
    It seems like the GAGB forum is a tad more active, it looks like the UK forum &#39;over there&#39; is in hibernation .

Icenians Guest

Originally posted by Motley Crew@Jul 26 2003, 02:10 AM
    It seems like the GAGB forum is a tad more active, it looks like the UK forum &#39;over there&#39; is in hibernation .
    I think if you look at my history on forums, you&#39;ll find I hardly ever post. I&#39;m not here because navicache are quiet on the forums, if I need a conversation I quite capable of finding someone to talk to for real. :P

Anyway, that&#39;s off topic. Any answer to when the email went out as two of us didn&#39;t get one?

Team Paradise Guest

Originally posted by Icenians@Jul 26 2003, 08:44 AM
    Anyway, that&#39;s off topic. Any answer to when the email went out as two of us didn&#39;t get one?
    I received mine on the morning of the 23rd... The day you joined.

Icenians Guest

Originally posted by Team Paradise+Jul 26 2003, 11:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Team Paradise @ Jul 26 2003, 11:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Icenians@Jul 26 2003, 08:44 AM
    I received mine on the morning of the 23rd... The day you joined. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;ll be why then. Ta