Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Geocaching software

dobbin Guest

Newbie question here. I have a Garmin eTrex GPS and use the Map Source software that came with it to manage marks, waypoints etc. Having only used it once to down load several loc files I was a bit dissapointed it couldn't store multiple locations before sending them to the GPS. I had to load each location (from the loc) file one at a time.

Does anyone out there in Geocacheland have any experience with other software apps, that run on win XP, for managing loc or gpx originated markers on a Garmin GPS?

nobbynobbs Guest

don't use it myself but most people rate GSAK it appears to be able to do nearly everything and cook you lunch at the same time....

Or for free try

www.easygps.com

GSAK is free for a trial period, then takes longer to load, and nags... and nags...

G
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

GSAK costs 25 USD (£12.75) to register. You can become a premium member of geocaching.com for 30 dollars (£15.30). You can then get pocket queries from gc.com, which contain .gpx files which you can load straight into GSAK. There's much more information in .gpx files than in .loc files - the whole cache details.

You can then select the caches you want in GSAK and send them straight to your GPS. IMHO that's the way to go.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

dobbin Guest

Brill thanks for the advice I'll try GSAK first and see how I get on