Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: more members

nobbynobbs Guest

so how can we attract some more people to the site and then make them keep coming back?

the fact that the gc.com forums get used a fair bit but they are american run....

should we do something at the bashes ? the season is starting so some way of making more people aware of us and letting them know what they can do here.

any ideas?

keehotee Guest

How about setting up a slush fund - then we go to loads of bashes, get people drunk, and sign 'em up before they sober up....?

Or.... getting some little (like folded up to credit card sized) leaflets printed off, for people to drop into caches..?? If someone can come up with one standard design, we could all print our own off?

cacherelle Guest

Yeah the cards sound good kehotee, or stickers that people can stick on their caches, and matching logo for window stickers for their cars??

nobbynobbs Guest

i did have the idea of a slightly different cache note that listed the gagb web address and phone number instead of the gc.com one. not sure how popular that would be.

i know there are people far more artistic than i on here.

maybe we need a competition to design the best car sticker. people then print it themselves and do the honours.

jimblonduk Guest

Something like this ?

Cache sticker

I feel proud to only set caches according to the guidelines, maybe this would encourage others to do the same.

Car sticker

keehotee Guest

Perhaps it would be better to emphasize the fun/social aspects of membership rather than the beaurocratic side of the GAGB - perhaps by organizing a few bashes?
    Emphasizing the rule-making role of GAGB may put some people off?

Originally posted by keehotee@Mar 28 2007, 01:40 PM
    Perhaps it would be better to emphasize the fun/social aspects of membership rather than the beaurocratic side of the GAGB - perhaps by organizing a few bashes?
    Emphasizing the rule-making role of GAGB may put some people off?
    The GAGB are not the bureaucratic side of geocaching nor are they the rule makers. The association is the support side of geocaching in the UK. You only have to look at the No of areas which remain open to geocaching after negotiations by members.

The GAGB Guidelines are "Best Practice" unless they form part of a Landowner Agreement, and even then it is down to the UK Reviewers to enforce.

Part of the problem is that all the hard work carried out especially by the committee, is so deeply hidden that the membership or potential members never see any of it, until the end result. Which in most cases is to keep a area open to the UK Geocaching community.

More information needs to be made available on the sort of background work done that goes into obtaining a Landowner Agreement, and the future benefits to the whole of the UK Geocaching community by being a member.

One benefit is that the Association can act as a unified voice for the community, if the government ever decided to bring in major legislation regarding geocaching in the UK. The Ramblers Association had a small start, but is now a major voice for it's membership.
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

keehotee Guest

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't criticizing the work that the committee does - not at all - but the thread was about encouraging more people to join.
    Let's be honest - most cachers aren't interested in policy or landowner agreements - they just like to get out in the open and find tupperware. Surely if you want to boost membership, those are the people you want to target?

nobbynobbs Guest

trouble is there is a fair number who have no idea that we are here at all.!

so as much as anything we need to make people aware of the quick benefits to them, using the web address and listing the contact phone number means that your cache may be saved from destruction by someone getting an answer from a human.

ok so we don't get thanks for an agreement, no problems.

more people here mean more people to organise new agreements and less chance that the agreements we have will be broken by ignorance.

cacherelle Guest

Sorry for butting in, being new an' all, but just playing devils advocate. I think a lot of what's been said depends on WHO you are wanting to target. Is this the current membership that don't post, members that frequent the .com site and not here, or brand new members to geocaching?

You say new members, which is fine, but there are currently 2240 registered members, a huge percentage of which that have never posted. There could be a number of reasons for this; perhaps the content doesn't interest them, maybe they are apprehensive with the forum format (although this will be easier with vBull) or too scared as they are completely new to caching and don't understand the lingo etc, maybe potential spammers or have they signed up to protect their username that they use on the .com site? Does that all not need considering before you try and recruit more that maybe won't post??

From my experience I was immediately directed to the main .com site, and then as I'm fairly aux fais with forums, I found my way into their forum. I did look around and check out the links a bit but nothing really inspired me and I went back to the .com forum. It was only til an existing member here suggested this site, that I ventured in......................and unluckily for you guys, I am comfortable with forums and so began to post.

Also what exactly do you want to achieve? Just a raised membership number, raised awareness, just more posts from anyone out in the virtual world, or totally new actual cachers?

Defining who and what you want may help determine where you go from here...............and if you are changing the forum software, that would be a good time to change it all

I'll shut up now! :P

Alice Band Guest

One of the things I think we could do is follow in the footsteps of some American state level caching associations and getting our own symbol added to the list of the current ones that can be displayed in your stats box. If you type in codes other than the geologo or for signal the frog you get logos for the state based groups. So how about us?

Naturally another would be to organise get-togethers under the auspices of GAGB such as BBQ's in the summer for people to meet, relax and cache together, or weekends with proper prize winning competitions with perhaps coin makers and caching suppliers sponsoring the prizes and event? I've noticed that America is in the lead at the moment with competition-only caching events. It would certainly encourage cachers to get together in groups, meet newbies and form competing groups that might meet to cache at other weekends.

Setting up our own shop selling things like T-Shirts etc and bumper stickers. Easily arranged with the Net Cafe thing without the worry of overheads. Personalised swag with the logo would certainly advertise us more to the rest of the UK. Bumper stickers and other stuff to place on cars. Anything to make us more visible.

Have a look at the Belgian equivalent of us here and the German one. They both produce their own Geocoin, sell lots of logo'd swag and organise mega events.

nobbynobbs Guest

firstly cacherelle please don't shut up!! that's the point we want more people to say more things.

to try and answer the questions "yes" sorry

we'd like all the registered members to come in once in a while and post or just read.
    we'd like new people to be kidnapped from the other side aka gc.com :lol:
    and we'd love to encourage totally new cachers.

and yes i know that each of those is a completely seperate entity that requires different approaches to acheive them. so as many ideas as possible, don't edit yourself, an idea that you think doesn't have legs might trigger some one else to think.

will have to think about the idea of merchandising. not sure what the ohters on the committee think or whether there would be any problems with copyright and so on.

keep them coming

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by Alice Band@Mar 29 2007, 08:24 PM
    One of the things I think we could do is follow in the footsteps of some American state level caching associations and getting our own symbol added to the list of the current ones that can be displayed in your stats box. If you type in codes other than the geologo or for signal the frog you get logos for the state based groups. So how about us?

Naturally another would be to organise get-togethers under the auspices of GAGB such as BBQ's in the summer for people to meet, relax and cache together, or weekends with proper prize winning competitions with perhaps coin makers and caching suppliers sponsoring the prizes and event? I've noticed that America is in the lead at the moment with competition-only caching events. It would certainly encourage cachers to get together in groups, meet newbies and form competing groups that might meet to cache at other weekends.

Corrrr blimey Alice Band, you've made me want to come along already!! The competition avenue sounds very interesting!!

The logo in the stats box sounds good too.........................I'm guessing some of this may be restricted so as to not conflict with gc.com??

The logo in the stats box sounds good too... I'm guessing some of this may be restricted so as to not conflict with gc.com??
    In our GC.com profile we have COTM stats and Trig stats, all a GAGB stats is surely just to show we support caching in the UK? Sort of like "We belong to this State geocaching club" ?

It doesn&#39;t say "We don&#39;t like Geocaching.com." Does it? <_<

G
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

nobbynobbs Guest

i&#39;m sure that it could be done without too much hassle.

so we&#39;ll have a representative at every bash wearing a branded t-shirt tying to flog merchandise&#33;&#33; except that detours slightly from the idea... it&#39;s not to make money it&#39;s to raise awareness.

though maybe this is the way i can make that elusive first million that all these business people talk about. :lol: