Thanks Thanks:  0

View Poll Results: What's your favourite type of cache?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cache and Dash

3 10.71%
  • Multi Caches

3 10.71%
  • Puzzle Caches

2 7.14%
  • Caches in strange/difficult places to get to

6 21.43%
  • Virtual Caches

0 0%
  • Big Caches with lots of top quality goodies in

2 7.14%
  • Like them ALL

12 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favourite caches

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    cacherelle Guest

Just wondering what type of caches are people's favourites as I'm considering placing one, and I'd love to see EVERYONE voting so I get a good picture! :P

nobbynobbs Guest

pretty much anything that gives me an excuse to go for a walk, but i'll pick up micros and cache/dash if they are on the way.

just gets a little frustrating when a great location is wasted with a poorly thought out cache. but then i'm sure that accusation has been leveled at some of mine so... :unsure:

KathyXB Guest

It's all about the trip to the cache not so much the box itself - walking, scrambling, ferreting about in the mud/dark/shrubbery, crossing water, falling in bogs...definitely like those in interesting or difficult places :lol:

(of course I do have a screw loose somewhere)

nobbynobbs Guest

just the one loose? don't you mean only one tightened properly : :lol:

keehotee Guest

Like them all - but to be honest the contents aren't the draw. I have as much fun chasing a big stuffed ammo box as a well thought out and placed micro. The thrill's in the chase......

cacherelle Guest

Hmmm looking like I'll have to really think it out............................bummer! :P

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

Ooops! just clicked the wrong button and wasted our vote..... Really should have woke up first :angry:

We like a well thought out Multi, as we cache with kids it keeps thier interest when you have several short stages rather than a 5 mile hike, also they much prefer a well stocked cache than a micro, for obvious reasons, but we still do all thats available (we only done 2 micros this weekend, they still enjoyed the wooded walks)

We agree with the others about being "well thought out" dont just place for the sake of it, but a good area & walk make all the difference. Its definatly the the chase is better than the cache although I'm not sure the kids would agree!

We have placed 3 caches 1 Trad, 1 Multi & 1 C&D and the one that gets hit the most is the cache & dash!

Alice Band Guest

I like them all. Am I sad?

keehotee Guest

I don't know? Are you sad? Do you want a cuddle?

lol

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by Alice Band@Apr 4 2007, 11:27 AM
    I like them all. Am I sad?
    LOL well that makes 2 of us!

I like variety in life!

Alice Band Guest

Originally posted by keehotee@Apr 4 2007, 03:23 PM
    I don't know? Are you sad? Do you want a cuddle?
    Awwww, cant remember the last time I had one of those

Mind you, you'd need a stepladder to reach me. Just ask MrsB I think I gave her a fright when I met her for the first time :unsure:

nobbynobbs Guest

gave her a fright the first time? not the second cause she'd learnt her lesson and started running earlier :lol:

Alice Band Guest

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 5 2007, 08:17 PM
    gave her a fright the first time? not the second cause she'd learnt her lesson and started running earlier :lol:
    *Alice loads up and fires her two crossbow bolts at the rapidly vanishing back of Nobby Nobbs*

*Plink* *Plink*
    THUD!

Mwhahahahahaha!!! Gotcha!! h34r: :P

nobbynobbs Guest

:P :P :P

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by Alice Band@Apr 5 2007, 12:18 AM

Mind you, you'd need a stepladder to reach me. Just ask MrsB I think I gave her a fright when I met her for the first time :unsure:
    Blummin heck, how tall are you???

Alice Band Guest

6'2"

I rarely wear stilettos or heels as it scares people :unsure:

nobbynobbs Guest

what a coincidence... that's why i don't wear them either LOL

only 6' 2'' why did you stop too soon then?

I like them all ....well the ones I can find anyway h34r:

wizard1974uk Guest

I prefer cache and dash, mainly due to time factors. However if I do have a lot of time on my hands I do like multis.

I agree I think that a well thought out cache whether a short walk, long walk, multi cache, puzzle is the best kind and if we are going out for a day's caching at the weekend I try to pick a range of caches as if you keep doing the same ones all the time it must get a bit boring, especially for the kids. At the moment we are trying to sort out locations for two new caches and are at the talking to the landowners stage, both caches if they go live will be completely different in style.
    Who's had the accident!!
    Who called the doctor?

Variety is the spice of life etc!

I think a lot depends on whether you're a "numbers" person, or not. For obvious reasons the Numbers People tend to like the "cache 'n' dash" or a "trad". We're in the other camp ("the pottering-along-admiring-the-view-with-cache-at-the-end-hopefully" camp. We tend to look at a map, pick a place that we want to visit, THEN see what caches are in the vicinity and do any which are convenient.

We haven't done many of the Motorway Mayhem caches: Some cachers are a bit scathing about them but we did a beautifully planned and executed one last weekend. If you're ever up around Telford don't miss out on hunting for the Forked Tong !

Originally posted by cacherelle+Apr 6 2007, 12:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cacherelle @ Apr 6 2007, 12:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alice Band@Apr 5 2007, 12:18 AM

Mind you, you&#39;d need a stepladder to reach me. Just ask MrsB I think I gave her a fright when I met her for the first time :unsure:
    Blummin heck, how tall are you??? [/b][/quote]
    ...and I&#39;m just 5&#39;. :unsure:

But AliceB doesn&#39;t scare me... I have a son of 6&#39;4"
    (without his stilettoes)

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by Mrs Blorenge@Apr 7 2007, 03:48 PM

...and I&#39;m just 5&#39;. :unsure:

But AliceB doesn&#39;t scare me... I have a son of 6&#39;4"
    (without his stilettoes)
    LMAO nor me, my eldest is 6&#39;8" and just coming up for 19 so still got potential to grow more&#33; My youngest is getting cocky now cos he&#39;s just over taken me and is just under 6&#39;, and again at 15 hasn&#39;t stopped growing yet&#33; :angry: :angry:

cacherelle Guest

Hmmm okay, looking at the voting most people like everything......................I&#39;m thinking about keeping my first ever one a fairly simple one, but got no idea where I want it to go yet&#33;&#33;&#33; EEEK&#33;

Originally posted by cacherelle@Apr 7 2007, 05:52 PM
    I&#39;m thinking about keeping my first ever one a fairly simple one, but got no idea where I want it to go yet&#33;&#33;&#33; EEEK&#33;
    Nothing wrong with a simple cache. I don&#39;t know where you are, but sometimes the problem is to find a good spot that nobody&#39;s got to first Is there somewhere attractive and/or interesting that you know about, but not many other people do?

cacherelle Guest

Thanks Mrs B, well where I live there&#39;s a site of a very significant roman fort, but you can&#39;t see anything related to it which is annoying, and they&#39;ve been developing round here ferociously so parking is very limited....................oh and then add the local chavs into the equation, so makes me a bit reluctant to draw people to it

I need to get my thinking cap on ...............can&#39;t find it at the mo, might be in the wash

nobbynobbs Guest

a tour of bitterne&#33;&#33;&#33; well i am awaiting with bated breath :lol:

i&#39;m sure that you know somewhere a little further out. doesn&#39;t have to be very close to home. what about that pond near bitterne that always used to have turtles. or have they all gone?

KathyXB Guest

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 9 2007, 05:18 AM
    a tour of bitterne&#33;&#33;&#33; well i am awaiting with bated breath :lol:

i&#39;m sure that you know somewhere a little further out. doesn&#39;t have to be very close to home. what about that pond near bitterne that always used to have turtles. or have they all gone?
    Don&#39;t remember Bitterne being mentioned...

nobbynobbs Guest

i think i know the site being mentioned, not actually bitterne but near northam bridge. then the dearest chavs in the area... :lol:

keehotee Guest

What about Woodmill? Or Swaythling?

nobbynobbs Guest

woodmill already taken....

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 9 2007, 06:11 AM
    i think i know the site being mentioned, not actually bitterne but near northam bridge. then the dearest chavs in the area... :lol:
    LMAO shut it you&#33; :P

But yeah the chavs would spoil it..................hell they spoil anything round here&#33; Thank god my 2 haven&#39;t grown up to aspire to chavdom&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :

I just think it&#39;s a shame that so many people don&#39;t realise the site is there but hey ho, guess it WILL have to be further out .....................................but Swaythling keehotee??? Thought they had even MORE chavs&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; <_< <_<

keehotee Guest

Just hide it so that les chavs (pron: lay shav) can&#39;t find it.
    The art of camoflage - things don&#39;t have to be out of site, just out of mind. If people aren&#39;t specifically looking for or expecting something, they won&#39;t see it. Or don&#39;t you read Terry Pratchett?

You could sit a BIG BLACK BOX* at the site of the road, with GEOCACHE and the waypoint written on the top in big, white, diamond encrusted, glow-in-the-dark letters, and as long as it fitted in with all the other BIG BLACK BOXES at the side of the road, nobody would bat an eyelid - unless they were looking for a big black box with geocache written on top of it.

(* BIG BLACK BOX used for example only)

nobbynobbs Guest

the trouble is with nothing visible what would be the point?

why not try the woods just south of the m27 near to the services? nothing round there.

but it&#39;s true instead of relying on tiny or a pile of obvious sticks that are ideal for picking up and throwing. go for some more intricate camo.
    disguise it as a school book or similar, that&#39;ll scare them away. :lol:

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by keehotee@Apr 10 2007, 05:59 PM
    Just hide it so that les chavs (pron: lay shav) can&#39;t find it.
    The art of camoflage - things don&#39;t have to be out of site, just out of mind. If people aren&#39;t specifically looking for or expecting something, they won&#39;t see it. Or don&#39;t you read Terry Pratchett?

You could sit a BIG BLACK BOX* at the site of the road, with GEOCACHE and the waypoint written on the top in big, white, diamond encrusted, glow-in-the-dark letters, and as long as it fitted in with all the other BIG BLACK BOXES at the side of the road, nobody would bat an eyelid - unless they were looking for a big black box with geocache written on top of it.

(* BIG BLACK BOX used for example only)
    LMAO sounds like you know Swaythling really well&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for Terry Pratchett.........................no, I wait til the film comes out&#33; LOL same with Harry Potter

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 10 2007, 08:18 PM

disguise it as a school book or similar, that&#39;ll scare them away. :lol:
    LMAO very true.......................and very cunning&#33;

keehotee Guest

woodmill already taken....
    Are you sure ? - nothing showing on my latest PQ between Itchen To Find It / Not as it Seems, and Hexagons (Hants).

That leaves the whole of Riverside Park, Mansbridge, Swaythling, Marlhill Copse - but how about something sneaky and concrete coloured under either Northam Bridge or Cobden Bridge??

...or something playing on this theme.. The Itchen River Project - Roman Roadbridge?

nobbynobbs Guest

there is a final location for a multi that would exclude one location..... obviously i don&#39;t want to say where exactly.

but i&#39;ve not really looked too deeply into the area. can&#39;t say that i am drawn to wandering the streets of bitterne and northam.....

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 11 2007, 09:44 PM

can&#39;t say that i am drawn to wandering the streets of bitterne and northam.....
    OI..........I&#39;m not THAT bad&#33;&#33;&#33;

I think I know the one you mean nobby, by a pond??

nobbynobbs Guest

well there is that one but also one right by woodmill as well.

you might not be that bad but the other denizens of that area are&#33; :lol:

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by keehotee@Apr 11 2007, 07:50 PM

Are you sure ? - nothing showing on my latest PQ between Itchen To Find It / Not as it Seems, and Hexagons (Hants).

That leaves the whole of Riverside Park, Mansbridge, Swaythling, Marlhill Copse - but how about something sneaky and concrete coloured under either Northam Bridge or Cobden Bridge??

...or something playing on this theme.. The Itchen River Project - Roman Roadbridge?
    Thanks for that, LOL remember the activity when they were around this area, and we went down on our side of the river to help out. I&#39;ve been pondering it and would love to draw attention to Blackberry Island, but it&#39;s underneath reclaimed land which means there&#39;s naff all to see&#33;

Phewww there&#39;s a lot to consider when placing a cache :unsure:

nobbynobbs Guest

Originally posted by cacherelle@Apr 16 2007, 05:55 PM
    there&#39;s naff all to see&#33;

that sums up southampton really&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Alice Band Guest

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 17 2007, 05:17 AM
    That&#39;s typical Scummer talk :P

Alice Band - Proud former Pompey resident....(eeeek...did I say proud? : )

nobbynobbs Guest

well it&#39;s only because you had the sense to leave the place that we&#39;ll let you carry on posting. :lol: i mean southampton might be bad but portsmouth is worse obviously.

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by Alice Band@Apr 17 2007, 05:13 PM

Alice Band - Proud former Pompey resident....(eeeek...did I say proud? : )
    Aaaah wondered what that funny smell was in here&#33;&#33;&#33; :P :P :P :P :P

cacherelle Guest

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 17 2007, 06:17 AM

LOL I have another plan now&#33;

Alice Band Guest

Wooo&#33;&#33;

I have just placed a cache with a green Jeep in it by my local castle. I could be biased and say any cache with a jeep in it is a good &#39;un, but then that would label me as a Jeep &#39;ho...
    And in case someone reading this tonight wants to grab the Jeep, its near J21a of the M1 h34r:

Alice Band Guest

Originally posted by cacherelle@Apr 24 2007, 09:39 PM
    Aaaah wondered what that funny smell was in here&#33;&#33;&#33; :P :P :P :P :P
    My neighbours and I (when I lived in Southsea) all labled Pompey as &#39;The Bog of Eternal Stench&#39;. By eck, when those scree clouds came in from the sea from time to time it made the whole town smell baaaaad. I have to say I don&#39;t miss that part, living in a landlocked county that I do.

Funnily enough I&#39;ve been in contact all day today with Southampton Uni and was reminiscing about bits of it. Apparently the Titanic monument is in a dreadful state

I like them all but a well thought out not to difficult multi is my fav. I don&#39;t like micro&#39;s very much and HATE nano&#39;s, The kids like to swap thing so they like the larger boxes, The multi that I set up is the sort where you answer questions from different locations, this leaves room for other caches and the individual parts can&#39;t get muggled. One multi I did was an 8 mile walk, after 6 miles the micro hidden in the woods was missing :&#39;(, I emailed the owner who luckily gave me the final co-ords otherwise I wouldn&#39;t have bothered doing it again.

AliceB is about 6&#39;4" at a guess.

Anyone picks on you get her and Latham to stand in front of you