Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Regional Forums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GAGB is pleased to announce that in response to suggestions made in the GC.com forum, we plan to host regional forums on the GAGB website. Initially these regions will be:

South West England
    West England
    Southern England
    London
    Eastern England
    Central England
    North-West England
    North-East England
    South Wales
    North Wales
    Southern Scotland
    Western Scotland and Isles
    East Scotland
    Northern Scotland
    Northern Ireland
    Channel Islands

Clearly some regional forums are already established and cachers will continue to use those; however we will provide complete coverage even if some GAGB regions are little used.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

I think it would be good to pin links to other external regional forums at the tops of the area forums you have listed and are planning.

Edit: I will also note that by posting this 3 times, you have annoyed some owners of local forums.
    Edit edit: Not really the posting 3 times has annoyed people, but the apparent 'competition' they believe it would split the communities between places. However - if a strong community already exists, and the weaker, newer one points out that the stronger one exists, the stronger one is more likely to recieve more traffic, and become stronger still. So win-win in my view.
    If there was a competition for witty signatures, I'd come last.

nobbynobbs Guest

well lets hope that people aren't annoyed by the posting... at the end of the day this is being done to hopefully help people enjoy caching and associated stuff. this is the sort of thing that we can do .

so any other ideas of a similar nature please let us know.

Concerns have been raised elsewhere, as Edgemaster has pointed out.

GAGB wish to provide regional facilities for cachers who require them and don't have them, without interfering with or detracting from existing facilities. We also wish to point cachers who're looking for regional facilities that already exist in the right direction.

We've had some very fruitful discussion amongst the committee and with others today, and we think we have a solution that should be satisfactory to everyone. We need to take a formal vote, and when we have done I'll post again here.

Apologies for cross-posting.

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Right, this is what we're now going to do.

We're going to add a new forum on the main page entitled "Regional Forums".

That forum will have a pinned and locked topic containing links to the already existing regional forums.

It will also have a thread for people to suggest and discuss new regional forums that could be hosted on GAGB, and to suggest links to any existing regional forums we've overlooked.

As and when new areas are proposed and agreed on, a forum for that region will be added. Regional forums on GAGB will have "local" moderators if they wish.

We'll also add a web page containing direct links to all the regional forums we're aware of, both on and off GAGB's site.

None of this, of course, prevents anyone setting up new independent regional forums, and if any new ones spring up we'll be glad to include links to them.

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB

KathyXB Guest

Sounds good to me. Looking forward to it - thanks all

Birdman-of-liskatraz Guest

Thanks Bill and Co, I think the opportunity for all areas that don't have their own local forums, to have one on the GAGB forums is a great idea and a very positive move forwards.

I know from experience how useful a "local" forum has been at getting cachers together and organising events, coins and County wide multicaches.

The new Regional Forums section can be found here. Please feel free to post with any existing regional forums I may have missed, and with suggestions for any new regional forums that you'd like to see hosted on GAGB.

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB

We will also be adding a web page with links to all the regional forums we know of, both on and off GAGB, but I'm advised that as we're in the middle of migrating the forums this is best left until the migration is complete.

---
    Bill, Chairman GAGB