Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Western England

I'd like to see a new forum available to those in Western England. I suggest including Wiltshire, Glocs, Avon (as was including Bristol), Somerset and Bath.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Roving Rangies Guest

Brilliant, and in my area too!

Gowenhouse Guest

Think this would be a great idea. There are now so many cachers in the area it would be excellent to have our own forum.

Yes, I like this idea. Being in south Wiltshire, I tend to look more towards Hampshire and Dorset than the counties mentioned, but there's no reason why there shouldn't be some overlapping of regions. If a Wiltshire/Hampshire/Dorset forum was also suggested, I'd be in favour of that too, and participate in both.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Wiltshire/Hampshire/Dorset as a "region " makes sense to us when we look at a map of our finds .
    We like Greens

I can also see Swindon (Wiltshire) cachers feeling some affinity with Oxfordshire and Berkshire. Inevitably the boundaries will have to blur for those of us at the extremes of an area but it will still offer more local interest than a National Region.

Therefore my question is: should we leave county names off altogether or expect to list some counties more than once under different regions?

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

nobbynobbs Guest

put county names on them as tht will give a general pointer to which one you want, but s you say some cross border interaction is bound to happen. as long as the border guards don't get wise to us we'll be fine

Roving Rangies Guest

what about Wessex area?

Birdman-of-liskatraz Guest

I think some things will want to discussed as a County - say a Wiltshire Geocoin. Other items will be more regional in nature - say an Event.

If the region is too big then I feel it will lose it's "local" appeal.

So why not have a regional - Say Western - Forum, within which are some regional discussion topics.

Then within that Regional Forum have one for each County, then everyone can quickly see if anythings been posted in either the regional or County forum, and cachers can post in the appropriate place?

Chaotica Guest

I think this is a good idea, Ive had a handful of instances where this forum would have been useful.

Mark

The Hoffies Guest

My personal view is to keep it in line with the original post and call it something like 'The West' (I like those signs when I follow the M3 or M4 away from London)!

Adding lots of smaller forie/fora/forums (sp?) underneath that might get too much to bother with, instead one could add an area indicator into the topic heading, maybe, if the topic is only relevant to a specific area.

If it all gets too messy it could be re-addressed.

Happy Caching
    Dirk

(from 'The West', 'Wessex', formerly 'Somerset', then 'Avon', now 'Bath & North East Somerset' - I think. Sorry, only joking :P )

The Hoffies wrote:
    If it all gets too messy it could be re-addressed.
    Yes, it's all quite flexible - forums can be added, removed or merged at any time.

Sandman1973 Guest

Since these are all the areas that I'm interested in - I think that it's a good idea too.

There is now a new forum for Wessex here. It covers Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire. I've added a link to it in the "Regional Forums not hosted on GAGB" thread.

Is the above forum still active?
    I have registered on there but still haven't been approved to join!

It is still active, but unfortunately it doesn't get much use, so you might have to wait a bit before your account's approved.

I think that it's a great idea, Wiltshire is a stunning county for caching, great walks, old caches by the wonderful Wombles, Gloucestershire is where the lovely rolling Cotswold hills can be found, and is just excluded from the WM Geocaching region, Oxfordshire is a lovely county, great scenery, and more than anything, the caching community within these counties and their borders has really grown, so it would be great to have an online forum for us to all chat, similar to this - so weird, I was thinking the same to myself a few weeks ago, I log on and others have been discussing it - would love to see the idea developed further!
    GAGB Chair
    Chair 2020-2021 & 2023-
    Vice Chair 2019-2020
    Committee Member since 2015
    Member since 2012