Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: What do you want the committee do do?

The Hornet Guest

I am honoured to be a "Nominee" for the new committee. However before accepting or declining I would like to find out a little more about what is involved. I've looked through past posts and haven't been able to find anything definitive. I guess this isn't surprising as the association is in a nascent phase and is only just forming. However the proposed committee candidates must surely know what they are being expected to do for both the GAGB members and for geocachers in general.

I would like to ask everyone what they want the committee to do for them.

Do you want it to try to negotiate more "deals" with landowners in the same vein and that with Hampshire CC?
    Do you want it to raise "local" issues with GC.COM?
    Do you want it to negotiate deals with suppliers for "cheap" merchandise?
    Do you want it to................................?

None of these ideas are sacrosanct, just vague musings of my own. I'm really trying to prompt a discussion so that all candidates (myself included) can get a clearer idea of what sort of commitment will be needed.

Also, does anyone have any idea of how the "meetings" will take place. Looking at the list of nominees I see people from all corners of the country - (and a good thing too). So how do "we/they" get together for meetings? Are they done face to face? If so where in the country do they take place? How often, etc? Or are they done via teleconferencing? Or online via something like Netmeeting?

I'm trying to gauge what sort of commitment is required so that people can make an informed decision whether or not to accept . So please help out with your thoughts.

Many thanks. Peter.

Originally posted by The Hornet@Jul 26 2003, 01:34 PM

I would like to ask everyone what they want the committee to do for them.

Also, does anyone have any idea of how the "meetings" will take place. Looking at the list of nominees I see people from all corners of the country - (and a good thing too). So how do "we/they" get together for meetings? Are they done face to face? If so where in the country do they take place? How often, etc? Or are they done via teleconferencing? Or online via something like Netmeeting?
    The Founder members made some suggestions about the aims of the organisation and the committee are thee to facilitate whatever aims are finally agreed after elections. That doesn't necessarily mean the committee are the only ones who can help out (or indeed that they'll have the skills, expertise, time for everything) but it would be helpful if they provided the leadership to achieve these aims.

So far, the Founders haven't had any face to face meetings and everything has been done through achieving consensus / polls on a committee forum. This does mean that progress is a little slower and changing things takes a little longer than is ideal when you're under siege but it does work.

We've tried messenger but it didn't work well. Personally I think teleconferencing/netmeeting would be useful (I use them for roughly 25% of my working day and it's a useful capability).

Of course, none of these mean that the new committee are constrained in how they communicate in the future - it's up to them to decide.

Dave

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Omally Guest

Originally posted by The Hornet:
    Do you want it to try to negotiate more "deals" with landowners in the same vein as that with Hampshire CC?
    Yup.

Do you want it to raise "local" issues with GC.COM?
    Yup.

I think TheCat may well have that covered as far as GC.com merch is concerned, but maybe a regular known supplier of ammo-boxes etc would be useful.
    As the committee is going to be in an embryonic state for a while, there will be a lot of new ideas flying around. Some invaluable, some good, some rotten. With the right team on board, hopefully most will be in the first two catergories.
    Given your habit of thoughtful and concise posts, Peter, I hope you decide to accept the nomination.

Chris n Maria Guest

When the forums first started I kicked of a thread which was titled "If GAGB only does one thing - what should it be" the majority of replies were negotiate with landowners though there were a few variations. Unfortunatly I can't find the thread anymore - I assume that it has been removed to save load on the server

Chris

At the bottom of the page there is a box that allows you to displey all topics for the last X number of days, at the moment it is set to 30.
    Just click on it and change it to "back to the begining" and you can find every post on the forums.

I have just checked and it is still there.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

Chris n Maria Guest

Thanks folks,

I&#39;m obviously being a bit dim this morning. here is the link I was looking for If we do only one thing.

Chris

MCL Guest

I agree with The Hornet, but via OMalley, in that the one thing I believe GAGB should steer clear of is anything involving merchandise and "cheap deals". Mark has that aspect of UK caching covered so well that it would not make sense to expend effort duplicating his activity. Besides, negotiating deals from the point of view of an organistaion that ios not supposed to hold any funds could be a bit tricky for a start&#33;

Motley Crew Guest

I think TheCat may well have that covered as far as GC.com merch is concerned, but maybe a regular known supplier of ammo-boxes etc would be useful.
    As the committee is going to be in an embryonic state for a while, there will be a lot of new ideas flying around. Some invaluable, some good, some rotten. With the right team on board, hopefully most will be in the first two catergories.
    Given your habit of thoughtful and concise posts, Peter, I hope you decide to accept the nomination.
    These are my ideas about what the GAGB should try and achieve. (Much the same as others have already intimated).

1. The GAGB to negotiate more &#39;deals&#39; with landowners ala HCC.

2. Raise and resolve UK local issues with GC.COM.

3. Positively promote the game and encourage responsible caching.

4. Negotiate deals with suppliers (with reservations). Like Omally I feel the TheCat has covered the GC.COM merchandise very well and a good supplier of ammo boxes would also be handy. An agreement with a trustworthy GPS supplier might be useful for both new comers and old hands to the game.

Just being a pain in the neck again, but I repeat an earlier post:

"...The initial committee should be a maximum of 6 and the first thing they should work on is the development, and concurrence, of a "Mission Statement", (Why is there an Association, what does it do, how does it do it..??)
    From the Mission Statement the committee can then develop a "Strategic Vision", (Where do we see the Association in 5, 10 years..?), and from that can develop an Operating Plan for the next twelve months or so, (What are we going to do, who do we need, do they need to be on the committee?)
    Then, you can develop a "constitution" (how long are elected officials to stand, must the whole committee stand down and be re-elected every year, when should AGM&#39;s be held, how do members vote, etc, etc....)....