Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: holiday caching

nobbynobbs Guest

no not the dreaded placing of caches while on holiday, so calm down lacto ecty and deci... :lol:

just a thought that the holiday season is almost upon us, not that you'd believe it with the weather.

so do you cache while on holiday? do you plan your holidays so that you can do some, loads of caches??
    :coffee:

me? well in a couple of weeks i shall be off down to cornwall with a couple of other reprobates known to some here, caching will be part of the trip but i'm sure there will be plenty of culture and education going on as well, ( how does cornish real ale differ from hampshire and so on...)

one of these days i'm going to have to take up the various offers i've been given of caching meeting / places to stay in USA. if only i didn't have to fly... h34r:

We don't plan our holidays for caching, we just go somewhere we fancy... then do whatever caches we find locally.

So which bits of Cornwall do you hope to see? Don't forget to sample the wide range of pasties while you're there. You'll need something substantial to soak up the real ale

nobbynobbs Guest

we'll be down near Redruth. though i'm sure ,as the weather is going to be baking hot, we'll be on the beach for most of it.....

or most likely wandering around hunting caches while wrapped up against the elements trying to keep a pair of small children amused. :wacko: opcorn:

We are childless this year , so we are off with our little tent to find a field to camp in . Hope to cache around Pulborough, Ascot and along the Chiltern footpath. Hoping to see some Red Kites. Then home for a few days to collect Youngest Ape and then back off to Essex for a long weekend and hopefully a few more caches. Then home again to pick up Eldest Ape and then off to ......... I think you get the gist of it! :socool:
    Who's had the accident!!
    Who called the doctor?

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

We dont tend to go on holiday to cache but we do see whats local and see if there is anything "on route" to break up the drive. As we also cache with kids we have to balance caching with something they really want so a cache (or2 ) on the way down to the beach is great.

This year we are off to Paignton in Devon, been there lots of times in a "previous" life but have never cached there.

We always cache on holiday although we don't go on holiday to cache :

I love seeing the local attractions beloved of cachers and it's always a popular trip. Naturally I have already plotted the closest caches, generated pocket queries etc etc.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

nobbynobbs Guest

one other reason i do cache on holiday is that the locals have hopefully placed some caches in places that really need visiting but are easily missed.

do the tourist stuff that the normal tourists never see. :socool:

Before we had the children we would always walk in the woods, over the hills etc, so we have just gone back to our roots this year and picked caches that are in the areas we would have visited anyway but with an added bonus.
    Who's had the accident!!
    Who called the doctor?

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Jul 10 2007, 10:15 PM
    one other reason i do cache on holiday is that the locals have hopefully placed some caches in places that really need visiting but are easily missed.

do the tourist stuff that the normal tourists never see. :socool:
    Yep agree with this, it helps you find those hiddden treasures that the Tourist Infomation board dont tell you about

cacherelle Guest

Hmm well we only started this February so haven't really thought about it, although we jokingly said we could try on our holiday that was in late Feb...........................only seeing as it was a snowboarding holiday, we'd have had to dug down through the snow to find them and being very new to it all thought it would be too hard!

We always have a snowboarding holiday as our main holiday, then take a week out to traipse around and visit family cos they are so spread out, we're thinking of hitting Devon and Cornwall this year for a week............and we will want to go and do a few caches while we're there.

keehotee Guest

we're thinking of hitting Devon and Cornwall this year for a week
    Naaah - don't waste your time....there's no caches down here worth doing... mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

nobbynobbs Guest

even the bashes leave something to be desired down that way :lol: :cheers: opcorn:

Devon & Cornwall, we have relatives down that way so we avoid it like the plague in the summer.
    Who's had the accident!!
    Who called the doctor?

SidAndBob Guest

Like most others, we plan where to go and then just enjoy the local caches. We were hoping to go to the lakes in a few days time, and then Devon / Cornwall a couple of weeks later, but the lakes trip seems very unlikely now. This rain is depressing.
    Here's to some sun. :cheers:

We used to plan arround cache density having gone somewhere in the early years where it was 15 miles to the nearest cache.
    No such issue now so we go where we want to go and look at the local caches after finding somewhere to camp / stay.

For our next hols we have compiled a separate bookmark list of must do caches based on local recomendations and top rated from GUK.

Caching is much cheaper than doing touristy things and you get to see all the touristy things and some good local stuff as well.

We do use gsak filters quite a lot when we arrive though to remove thetypes we dont enjoy.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Alice Band Guest

As I'm back I might as well add my penny's worth *plink*

I'm off to the French Pyrenees next month. We are staying very close to the borders of Andora and Spain and Andora has a surprising smattering of caches. I'll try to grab a couple while we're there, although it will be hard as the designated driver can't stand Geocaching!

Looking forward to the fresh air and the views and hopefully less rain...can we have a thundercloud smiley to reflect the current weather?

nobbynobbs Guest

all you have to be is the designated navigator.... then take a few back turns... oh look we're just near a cache, may as well stop and get it, shame not to.

ok they might figure it out after the first 10 :lol: