Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Not signing logs?

Default Not signing logs?

I've just had to temp disable one of my caches because the container is broken. I have checked the online log and compared to the paper log, two people have said that they 'found' it online but no date/name to which I can see.

Should I message them, leave the logs as they are or delete them?

Delete them. When you post a delete message you can add a comment anyway. The logger will also be informed that the log has been deleted. They can always contact you.
    The online log will delete a find from their caching numbers. They are only fooling themselves that they have found it, or just to make their numbers up.

I have also just added this to all my cache descriptions as I am sick of certain types of log.

*Please note* As of 1st July, 2011 I will delete logs that are either blank, or only say Found or TFTC

I'd send a polite e-mail, simply asking them to check their cache logs. You could suggest that they might have got their caches mixed up as they don't seem to have actually found this one. Don't threaten any action or insist on a reply.

There's a (slim) chance that they'll be grateful that you pointed out their mistake. Otherwise it serves as a reminder that the cache isn't regarded as "found" until the log is signed.

Strictly speaking you should delete their online log unless they have a good explanation, but in practice it's probably not worth stirring up bad feeling unless you think they're persistent offenders.

Its entirely up to you, but ask yourself "does it really matter" and "do you really care", and then do whatever you feel.

FWIW, depending on the circumstances I will sign either as MartyBartfast, MartyB or even just MB if there's little room or if I have to sign quickly (e.g. if it's chucking it down or if I'm in a high muggle area); so you might want to check the logs for something similar. Also it's not uncommon for people to sign out of sequence.

Well done Daryl for making a stand on this, and it's not just new cachers that do this, I noticed one the other day with just a smiley,nothing else not even a TFTC, and that was from a cacher with over 700 finds.How long does it take to add a few words?

Just read the other replies and i might have the wrong end of the stick.My reply was about logging finds on line not signing logs in the actual cache, sorry if I've got it mixed up, it's my age dontcha know,

Yep, sorry Blid, I think I just hijacked the page. I am going to start a new thread to keep it separate.

Quote Originally Posted by lulemurfan View Post
    I've just had to temp disable one of my caches because the container is broken. I have checked the online log and compared to the paper log, two people have said that they 'found' it online but no date/name to which I can see.

Should I message them, leave the logs as they are or delete them?
    Best to email and ask.

It may be the kids caching with parents.
    It may be a team that's split.
    It may be a change of username. (A lot of caches out there don't have Bear and Ragged/B&R/B+R etc in the log book.)

It may be the wrong GC number logged.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas