Thanks Thanks:  7

Thread: Help Planning a route

Default Help Planning a route

Hello all,

Firstly I am not sure if this falls into the Help forum. I am asking for help but not technical and I am not giving advice. If you need to move this to somewhere else then no problems.

I am planning an outing tomorrow to get as many caches as possible in an area not to far away from home. But I am unsure how to really plan this.

My aim is to get at least 5 caches, more than this would be a bonus. What you need to consider when helping is that we are only good to walk for about 2 or 3 miles tops. This is totally fitness related but walks like this that should improve!

I plan on starting in the car park where cache GC1HWPA is located. From there I was thinking of going past the side of the reservoir and into the moorlands. But I am unsure how to tackle the close caches and in what order to do it. I can't really work out where the tracks are and also how I could follow them when I get there.

Also another question is there are a lot of the letter box caches around there and would love to get a few of them but firstly I am unsure what I need to do with them (whats the difference from a traditional cache?) and also they seem to be in a 10 mile circular which simply would kill me if I tried doing them all. So is it okay to just grab a few of these? And then return another day to try and get a few more, and another day etc until we pick them all, or do I, should I be doing them in one walk or day?

Would really appreciate a few pointers so that my day of caching tomorrow is a blast!

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Visit my Blog and feel free to become a follower!
    http://fermentumsgeoblog.blogspot.com/

Fermi

Have a look at this online map to show you the footpaths etc - just type the nearest village name into the search box on top left.

There are several different map views but I tend to use the split screen (OS & Satellite). As you follow the footpaths with your mouse on the left hand map you can follow it on the satellite view (which will give you an idea where the caches are when comparing it to the geocaching google map.

Letterbox Hybrids - as far as I am aware (I have only found one - for a challenge cache), the only difference is that they contain a stamp (and possibly an ink pad). You can use this to stamp your own book (if you wanted to collect the stamps) and stamp the logbook with your own stamp (if you have one). Otherwise, I think they are pretty much the same as a traditional cache ... but I'm not sure if they contain swaps or not. And yes, no reason why you can't do them one or a few of them... without doing the whole series.

Letterbox (popular on Dartmoor) - I think these use clues/map references/church spires etc rather than GPS coordinates. (but never looked for one so not 100% sure).

Have fun.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Hi Fermi, I have health problems which curtail my walking distances and the way I look at it is do what you feel you are up to doing and leave the rest for another day, and build yourself up that way. It isn't a race were you have to set yourself a target of X caches per trip it's supposed to be enjoyment. I've been out sometimes with the intention of doing a few and finished up only doing one or maybe two but have enjoyed it. Happy caching.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
    Fermi

Have a look at this online map to show you the footpaths etc - just type the nearest village name into the search box on top left.

There are several different map views but I tend to use the split screen (OS & Satellite). As you follow the footpaths with your mouse on the left hand map you can follow it on the satellite view (which will give you an idea where the caches are when comparing it to the geocaching google map.

Letterbox Hybrids - as far as I am aware (I have only found one - for a challenge cache), the only difference is that they contain a stamp (and possibly an ink pad). You can use this to stamp your own book (if you wanted to collect the stamps) and stamp the logbook with your own stamp (if you have one). Otherwise, I think they are pretty much the same as a traditional cache ... but I'm not sure if they contain swaps or not. And yes, no reason why you can't do them one or a few of them... without doing the whole series.

Letterbox (popular on Dartmoor) - I think these use clues/map references/church spires etc rather than GPS coordinates. (but never looked for one so not 100% sure).

Have fun.
    The online map is fantastic, bookmarked that so I can use again.

Quote Originally Posted by Blid435 View Post
    Hi Fermi, I have health problems which curtail my walking distances and the way I look at it is do what you feel you are up to doing and leave the rest for another day, and build yourself up that way. It isn't a race were you have to set yourself a target of X caches per trip it's supposed to be enjoyment. I've been out sometimes with the intention of doing a few and finished up only doing one or maybe two but have enjoyed it. Happy caching.
    Thanks Blid, yeah it is about the enjoyment and not the numbers. Looking at it from a different point of view now, enjoy the walk and if we pick up some caches, thats a bonus!

I will let you know how I get on. Thats if my girlfriend ever decides to get ready.

Fermi

There are two schools of thought.

Do a circular route, cache along the way.
    Do a there and back the same route, cache along the way.

Circular routes are nice, you see new scenery all the way round.
    If you can't find/can't search for a cache you may have to return another time.

There and back routes have the advantage if you can't find a cache -or there are muggles around so you can't search- you can look on the way back... Plus, the scenery is 'new' as you're facing the other way!

If you don't find them all, and the area is nice, it's gives you a chance/excuse to return to finish finding them!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Fermi, have a look at this site as well http://www.geocachetrails.com/ I have found it useful on lots of occasions, type in the location you are at and it will show up linear and circular walks with caches and also the distances.

I used the tips today and came across a little snag. We walk up the mountain (okay it was a hill) and did a cache on the way and then we got to the top. We where faced with a brick wall that seemed to stretch as far as the eye can see. I know now to come from the other direction.

Bear and Ragged we did exactly that today, missed one out as there was a few people about and got it on the way back to the car!

Cheers Jacaru that's great I will spend a bit of time on there I expect.

Check my blog for a couple of pics from todays outing.