Thanks Thanks:  6

Thread: Which GPS??

Default Which GPS??

Sorry if this in the wrong forum it looked like the most suitable.

Basically we have done a couple of caches using my Samsung Monte phone and a cheapy car sat nav. The phone is miles out and I mean literally miles out lol and the cheap sat nav is ok...ish again not that accurate and the battery life is very dim. Most of the caches we have found so far have been from using a google printout before we go, which is fine for some but wooded areas are really tricky lol.

I have looked around and found a couple of GPS units that seem suitable but thought I would ask what others think, mainly because I have never used a dedicated unit like this and don't really know what is good or bad. here is a couple I have found that are a good price. Starting with the cheapest (i think), all seem good units and I think the 60c would be the best for our needs and budget. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Garmin eTREX H
    Garmin eTREX LEGEND HCx
    Garmin GPSMAP 60C
    Garmin GPSmap76cx
    Garmin Dakota 10

GPSMAP 60 series are good GPS's but the Dakota will give you paperless caching but if you can find a cheap Oregon 300 on Ebay (I did) then that would be even better.

Thanks for the info, its such a minefield lol. I am drawn to the 60c but the small internal memory is the only niggle I have. I think the dakota will go for more than my initial budget. Its a toss up between the 60c and the etrex legend HCx I think.

I don't think I have a full understanding of "paperless caching" TBH, reading other posts on here the etrex legend HCx can store the cache co-ords and other details as POI's not sure if the 60c can do the same or not though.

If you use something like the Etrex range or the GPS Map60 series the only information that is loaded is the cache name/GC number and the co-ords.
    With something like the Dakota/Oregon type units the Cache Name & Number PLUS the description, Size, Hint & last 5 logs are loaded so as you can be 'paperless'

Hi
    Have a look at my resource website, the page on GPS. Tells you what all the features of a GPS mean and there is a comparison table of the Garmin GPS receivers showing which features they have, which maps they support and so on. The links on the left will also take you to a page about Paperless caching, what it is and how to do it. Doesn't give you any recomedations about which GPS is the best but allows you to compare all the features. Best thing is get yourself off to an event and chat to other geocachers. They'll be only too happy to show you their GPS's and the features they have. Have a look at the GAGB calendar to find an event near you.

Chris
    Graculus
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk
    Geocaching.com Knowledge Books
    Last edited by Graculus; 24th April 2011 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks for that link it was very helpful and a very useful website. I think i'm going to start at the basic end decide what I actually need after using it for a while and then look to upgrade at a later date, plus I want to make sure the family will continue caching and we wont have an expensive piece of equipment just tucked into a draw lol.

Thanks again.

Using GSAK it is possible to add cachepage info as a POI file...

I do/did it with my Map60CSX.
    It's worth going for the paperless option for the ease of use.
    (I'm slowly getting in to using my Oregon 300 :lol

If you look after the unit, if you decided caching isn't for you, a good unit will sell well to other new cachers.

If you have a mobile phone with internet access, you still have access to the cache page info, if you have a non-paperless GPS unit.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Well managed to get a GPS from the old ebay, hopefully it'll arrive this week so I can get out do some proper caching. Managed to get a Garmin GPSmap76cx I know its not a new model but hopefully it'll do the job.

It certainly ticks the right boxes:
    High sensitivity: Yes
    USB interface: Yes
    Add Maps: Yes
    Add Micro SD: Yes
    Geocaching friendly: Yes

Now all you need is to load Talky Toasters free Open Source maps and away you go.

Superb glad to hear it gets the thumbs up, was a right little bargain too (compared with the last one sold on ebay)

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    If you have a mobile phone with internet access, you still have access to the cache page info, if you have a non-paperless GPS unit.
    Exactly what I do, thanks for saying this! There are few areas these days where you can't get a mobile signal and you can always make sure you load the cache page, expanding it to show ALL logs and the hint before you leave the house, or the car and then no signal won't be a problem ;-)

Buying a £300+ GPSr just so you can have paperless caching sounds crazy to me even though I am quite obsessed with caching! And love my gadgets!! If people manage with the etrex then a nice model for £100-£200 will do anyone surely, If you have mobile internet on your phone.

And with the savings you can buy loads of TB's and geocoins :P

z.
    Last edited by zodiac73; 5th August 2011 at 11:56 AM.

Please though. If you are going to use a phone for finding caches, don't attempt to put any caches out with it. Beg or borrow a GPS so that you can place a cache with more accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post
    Please though. If you are going to use a phone for finding caches, don't attempt to put any caches out with it. Beg or borrow a GPS so that you can place a cache with more accuracy.
    Sounds like good advice from what I've heard about smartphone GPS accuracy!

I meant using the mobile for the internet only to save paper printing out the cache pages, and using a proper GPS receiver for co-ords and direction etc. ;-)

The few people I've seen using a smartphone for the GPS feature looked rather lost :wacko:

Aye, they are getting more accurate at finding caches. We sometimes use Android as a back up, but as you say, people do often look lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post
    Wise words !!!
    Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles?

bigaluk Guest

Garmin eTREX H is great

bigaluk Guest

Iphone4 works well

Default [Check4SPAM] RE: URL Attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Graculus View Post
    Hi
    Have a look at my resource website, the page on GPS. Tells you what all the features of a GPS mean and there is a comparison table of the Garmin GPS receivers showing which features they have, which maps they support and so on. The links on the left will also take you to a page about Paperless caching, what it is and how to do it. Doesn't give you any recomedations about which GPS is the best but allows you to compare all the features. Best thing is get yourself off to an event and chat to other geocachers. They'll be only too happy to show you their GPS's and the features they have. Have a look at the GAGB calendar to find an event near you.

Chris
    Graculus
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk
    Geocaching.com Knowledge Books
    That's a great resource and has answered a lot of my questions. Thanks!

Bob
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 19th September 2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: moved