Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Access to coastal paths

Default Access to coastal paths

Many people don't realise that there's no general right to walk on beaches or along the coast in England and Wales. Many beaches and clifftops are privately owned and closed to the public.

The government is considering making the entire coastline of England publicly accessible, with a few exceptions like military training areas. However time is running out, and if the bill doesn't go before the House soon it'll get dropped.

The Ramblers' Association has an online petition to press the government to action this swiftly before time runs out. You can find the petition here.

If you support the idea please sign the petition.

It seems to me that this is something that would potentially be extremely beneficial to cachers, which is why I've posted it here.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Many people don't realise that there's no general right to walk on beaches or along the coast in England and Wales. Many beaches and clifftops are privately owned and closed to the public.

The government is considering making the entire coastline of England publicly accessible, with a few exceptions like military training areas. However time is running out, and if the bill doesn't go before the House soon it'll get dropped.

The Ramblers' Association has an online petition to press the government to action this swiftly before time runs out. You can find the petition here.

If you support the idea please sign the petition.

It seems to me that this is something that would potentially be extremely beneficial to cachers, which is why I've posted it here.
    Whilst I'm sure that every member of the Ramblers Association would be more than happy for the general public to have undisputed right of access to their back gardens and property at any time, I for one wouldn't.
    Why is the coastline any different?

This is inevitably going to lead to hundreds of miles of previously untouched coastline being fenced in and sanitized, as liability for the safety of users will fall on the landowners, and none of them are going to risk having a walker fall off a cliff

As far as I know, with a few exceptions, the public already have full access to the coast - below the high tide line - as the seabed belongs to the crown..
    Last edited by keehotee; 25th March 2009 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    Whilst I'm sure that every member of the Ramblers Association would be more than happy for the general public to have undisputed right of access to their back gardens and property at any time, I for one wouldn't.
    Why is the coastline any different?

This is inevitably going to lead to hundreds of miles of previously untouched coastline being fenced in and sanitized, as liability for the safety of users will fall on the landowners, and none of them are going to risk having a walker fall off a cliff

As far as I know, with a few exceptions, the public already have full access to the coast - below the high tide line - as the seabed belongs to the crown..
    I'd forgotten about this thread until whilst researching another access issue, I came across the fact that land used as parks or gardens or which is close to homes cannot be included in open access areas under the "Right to Roam" act. I would imagine the same exception would be made under the Marine and Coastal Access Bill.

I'm afraid that in England and Wales the public certainly don't have access to any of the coastline which is privately owned, unless there's a right of way there or the landowner chooses to allow access, which many don't. Yes, they do have access to the area between the high and low tide lines, but in areas where miles of coastline above the high tide line are inaccessible that's not really very useful. In Scotland the situation is quite different - the public have (with I believe limited exceptions) right of access to the coastline. To the best of my knowledge that hasn't led to the fencing in or sanitizing of miles and miles of coastline.

Just by the by, I know of one cacher who owns a piece of coastline and yet welcomes the proposed Bill and has signed the petition about it.
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 28th March 2009 at 09:43 PM.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

keehotee Guest

Ah, but the Scots have access to the coast by virtue of their general right to roam - whereas I believe the intention for England and Wales is to create a 3 metre wide path around the coast linking those areas that already have coastal access....

The main elements of the Bill are:

• Secure a long-distance route around the coast of England including beaches, cliffs, rocks and dunes, with public access for coastal walking and other recreational activities.
    Last edited by keehotee; 29th March 2009 at 12:06 PM.